Propane adapter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propane adapter

I always hated that I didn't have a small heater for my two-man Kodiak. The Big Buddy is just way too big to fit and keep good clearances, even on low. I tried a BlackCat heater I bought years ago but the 3,000 BTUs weren't quite enough to warm the tent. So, I bought a 4,000 BTU golf cart heater figuring I'd need to make an adapter because it was only designed for disposable bottles that are only good for about 5-1/2 hours. I must be slipping. It was really a simple project and yet took me over a month to figure out exactly how I wanted to make it. Now I've got heat for long weekends and then some. Then again, I might not be finished with it still. After a test drive, I might be adding a bracket for a low RPM computer fan to better move the heat.

Re: Propane adapter

I use a Little Buddy in my clipper. It works well and the 1lb bottles are enough to warm things up before bed and when I wake for a long weekend.

But will be curious to hear how your mods work. Might be something if I do snow camping.
    “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
      I use a Little Buddy in my clipper. It works well and the 1lb bottles are enough to warm things up before bed and when I wake for a long weekend.

But will be curious to hear how your mods work. Might be something if I do snow camping.
      I never did like that having to get up and light the heater before waking up. Plus I sleep better when I'm not bundled up in some combination of layers of blankets, clothing and sleeping bag. I do understand peoples' apprehension in keeping a heater going all night long, but I've been running catalytic heaters in tents since before the Mr Heaters came out. Had an old Coleman propane and a liquid fuel Coleman. With plenty of ventilation and a CO detector for that extra bit of peace of mind it's never been a problem.

As far as how it works, I guess a backyard test drive will have to do - hopefully this weekend. I keep watching the weekend weather forecasts and the last four weekends have had at least a 50% chance of rain at some point. I'll deal with unexpected rain while camping but, at least in cold weather, I won't go knowing it's coming.

Comment

Years ago I had a 4 or 5,000 BTU parabolic heater that fit on a one pound bottle. It worked great but the one pounder wouldn't last all night.
        Mostly I fired it up before going to bed to pre-heat the tent, then turned it off until morning; since I was using an air mattress it was no biggie in the morning to simply roll over, and light the heater for 10 minutes or so, before getting up.
        The heater lasted 3 or 4 years then disintegrated... never did find another...
        Looking forward to your results/evaluation...

Enjoy!
        2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
        For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
        Ground tents work best for me, so far.
        Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

My clipper is quite comfortable for sleeping. I sleep in regular PJs and have super soft sheets, plush blanket and lightweight comforter. If it goes down below about 48, I add a faux fur throw on top. Never been uncomfortable for sleep. But, I sleep with the window open year round at home. I need cold to sleep.

Now showering is another thing. Must be warm in the room and hot water or I'm not doing it.
          “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

I have the same 2 person Kodiak and have similar issues. Tried the smaller Mr. Heater and was also uncomfortable with clearances. On lowest setting and with windows open, it ran me out of tent in 34 degree weather. Bought the Little Buddy heater at end of cooling season and haven’t tried it yet. I am really interested in more details of how you made your device! The upright piece....Did you just buy aluminum stock and drill it out? Most of pic is self-explanatory, but that part. Thanks, Mac!

Comment

Finally got around to taking a picture with the heater in action. And yeah, I did wind up adding the fan to better circulate the heat. Just kept me toasty during a rainy, chilly night out in Western Maryland. I know I'm easily amused, but I really get a kick out of sleeping in a tent in a T-shirt, comfortably warm under a single blanket while the weather outside is yucky. Yes, yucky, a very technical meteorological term.

Comment

... A golf cart heater you say...
                Hello amazon!

Oh goody; more stuff to cram into the Jeep!

Enjoy!
                2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
                  ... A golf cart heater you say...
                  Hello amazon!

Oh goody; more stuff to cram into the Jeep!

Enjoy!
                  Unless you're in a canvas tent, I would say you'd be better off with the Buddy heater that gives you the option of 4,000 or 9,000 BTUs. I had the golf cart heater out in a nylon tent back in December or January (seriously want to forget that trip) and it did absolutely nothing. It was definitely a bit colder then, but 4,000 BTUs didn't even take the chill off at all. Evidently, the insulating properties of canvas makes a difference.
                  Last edited by MacGyver; 04-09-2019, 04:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                    Unless you're in a canvas tent, I would say you'd be better off with the Buddy heater that gives you the option of 4,000 or 9,000 BTUs. I had the golf cart heater out in a nylon tent back in December or January (seriously want to forget that trip) and it did absolutely nothing. It was definitely a bit colder then, but 4,000 BTUs didn't even take the chill off at all. Evidently, the insulating properties of canvas makes a difference.
                    Have a big buddy...not impressed too much propane usage because it does not have a thermostat.... Thermostatically controlled ventless heaters work better (but are not very portable). Both/either can have issues with the oxygen sensor/gas pilot at altitude (8,000 feet and above).
                    I used an El-Cheeep-O 4-5K BTU heater, until it fell apart, in a nylon dome.. it worked well, as a tent preheater; while it lasted.
                    Personally I believe than most folks' issues with nylon (I do like canvas better) tents is that most nylon tents (especially the chinese ones) have too much ventilation (I actually gave one away because it was unsuitable for use as shelter). Each time that I use the current (Eureka) dome I restrict the ventilation to some extent (I never go below 16 square inches of open vent- USE EXTREME CAUTION); it works well even in the snow. I never expect a tent to replicate the comfort that I get at home, though.

Enjoy!
                    Last edited by Happy Joe; 04-09-2019, 07:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
                      Personally I believe than most folks' issues with nylon (I do like canvas better) tents is that most nylon tents (especially the chinese ones) have too much ventilation
                      Absolutely! I always figured that manufacturers started that crap because mesh is cheaper than nylon and they can still charge an arm and a leg for a decent tent. And it doesn't seem to be limited to Chinese garbage either. Almost all the offerings from companies like North Face, Marmot and especially Nemo ($$$$) are mostly mesh. It really irks me how they charge a ton of money for tents that are almost nothing but mesh. One of my favorite examples: I love the size and shape of the one person REI Quarter Dome. But it's $300 and, of course, a lot smaller than the $230 Half Dome 2+. That, to me, is ridiculous. And how they're supposed to stand up to adverse weather is beyond me. I miss the old days when you could get something like a relatively cheap yet sturdy Eureka dome with mesh windows that could be zipped closed when wind or rain kicked up.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                        Absolutely! I always figured that manufacturers started that crap because mesh is cheaper than nylon and they can still charge an arm and a leg for a decent tent. And it doesn't seem to be limited to Chinese garbage either. Almost all the offerings from companies like North Face, Marmot and especially Nemo ($$$$) are mostly mesh. It really irks me how they charge a ton of money for tents that are almost nothing but mesh. One of my favorite examples: I love the size and shape of the one person REI Quarter Dome. But it's $300 and, of course, a lot smaller than the $230 Half Dome 2+. That, to me, is ridiculous. And how they're supposed to stand up to adverse weather is beyond me. I miss the old days when you could get something like a relatively cheap yet sturdy Eureka dome with mesh windows that could be zipped closed when wind or rain kicked up.
                        different tents for different uses
                        quarter dome1 is more of a backpacking tent with ripstop nylon, and half the weight of the half dome1 40 denier nylon tent
                        also many modern style tents have more mesh as they now have full flies that cover the whole tent, many tents in the past fly barely covered 1/2 the tent
                        so they had less mesh and/or mesh screens that could be covered,
                        I like various tents for various scenerios, car camping big ol coleman suits me fine, back packing its my 1 person, wenzel, or my 2 person kelty when hiking/camping with my son
                        nice weather, don't appreciate the full flies, yet when storm comes in I appreciate them and sleep without any worries

Comment

Working...
                        X