Campground review, Rocky Springs, MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Campsite Review Campground review, Rocky Springs, MS

I thought I would throw this in the mix because I have been here a couple of times for extended visits. Rocky Springs Campground is operated by the National Park Service and is located on the Natchez Trace just north of Port Gibson. This is a FREE campgound, and is first come, first served. At one time there was a spot for a campgound host. That site had water and electricity. On my last visit it was apparent that all electricity to the entire park had been disonnected. I forget how many sites there are, twenty or so I would guess, but I have never seen more than six sites occupied at any given time. What makes this campground interesting is that people from all over the world visit it. At the entrance to the park there is kind of a welcome station with functioning restrooms that people traveling the Trace use quite a bit. While there is no longer power to the welcome station and the office is boarded up, there is a guest register and it is interesting to read where visitors arw from. It's really quite surprising considering how few campers I have actually seen there. Visitors from the Netherlands, New Zealand, U. K., and of course all over the US stop in and make their mark in the book. The park is situated adjacent to the defunct town of Rocky Springs, and there is a short interpretive trail that winds through some of the remnants of the original town. The lone building still standing is a church where services are held once a month. The church is kept unlocked so you can go inside and look around, and perhaps drop some money in the donation box. The sites themselves are very generic. Most have picnic tables and either a grill or a fire ring, although many of these are rusted out. When I was there last year a guy came around measuring the roads. When I asked what he was doing he told me that he was working up a job estimare for repaving the roads. I personally thought that was the LEAST of what the park needed, but perhaps they are planning a general renovation. The buildings are falling into disrepair and by all indications the park service doesn't take much interest in the place apart from restocking the restrooms occasiionally. I like staying there because it's free and relatively quiet. The sites are large and well dispersed so there is good privacy. The one thing I don't like is that the police like to hide there to catch speeders on the Trace. This annoys me for some reason. I also like the fact that it is conveniently situated for exploring the area, which is rich in history. So, if you like creature comforts this may not be the place for you, but otherwise I have found it amenable enough for repeated stays.
    2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....
Working...
X