taking firewood along

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• taking firewood along

I know this can be a touchy subject, but i was curious as to when you go camping, do you take your own wood along, buy it close to where you are camping or forage when you are setup if allowed? At least here in the mid atlantic, it is discouraged due to non indigenous beetle that destroy trees. I`m thinkin that most people take their own wood in but make sure to burn it all before leaving.

Re: taking firewood along

Where I usually camp you have to bring your own firewood. They do not allow foraging and require you to leave any twigs/branches where they fall. The exception is you are allowed to clean off the tent pad or the area where you place your tent. I don't burn wood at home anymore so I usually carry charcoal when I go camping but I do most of my cooking on my old 2 burner Coleman stove. I refuse to pay the exorbitant prices the convenience stores and hardware stores charge for a few sticks of firewood.

Comment

I live in Wisconsin and I mostly camp in state parks. There is a strict 10 mile radius policy for firewood and you can burn already downed wood.

Most "Friends of the Park" groups sell bundles of wood at the parks for $5-$6. I'm happy to purchase the wood there since all that money goes back directly to the park.

I have found one exception to the carry-in rule. One can bring in wood from a certified wood distributor. This wood has been pre-treated and usually cheaper than the park rate - by up to 50% off. I'm given a certificate to show the park rangers when asked about the wood. These dealers aren't always conveniently located "on my way" to a park so I don't get to use them often.

Comment

We live on a couple of acres and always have plenty of firewood. We even have a log splitter from when we burned wood as a heat source for the house. But I don't bring that wood along on a camping trip.

Wood fires while camping are usually for ambiance or marshmallows. Cooking is done on a Coleman stove or on the travel trailer propane stove. We usually buy wood at those exorbitant prices the first few camping trips, but by the end of the season we are usually content to sit outside with a Uco 3 candle lantern and watch the candles burn.

When I solo tent camp, I bring along a Biolite stove for cooking - which for me is heating water or soup. I use pretreated wood sticks or pellets to burn in it. I also use the aforementioned candle lantern which (slowly) heats water and is my nighttime fire fix.
        - Laura
        Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

would check and follow regulations for where you plan on camping,
          aside from state regs on transporting firewood, each campground would have their own rules,
          NY has a 50 mile rule, cant transport wood outside 50 mile range, and even then requires documentation/certificate ,
          primitive sites in Northeast generally have plenty of downed wood to use,
          pay for sites like campgrounds I just suck it up and pay their price,
          every year we do a father/daughter camping trip usually to pay, we generally spend about $100 on firewood, comes to like $20 per dad for 4 days,
          well worth it to me

Comment

..Locally here in Colorado there are few issues in national forests (don't cut living trees & don't take firewood home without a permit);
            I usually push over a couple of standing dead wood snags then trim them to length with a large Svensaw after dragging them back to camp.
            (As I get more antique this is getting harder to do: if someone in the group has a generator we often cut them up with a Harbor Freight electric chain saw if no one brings a REAL chainsaw).

Enjoy!
            2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
            For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
            Ground tents work best for me, so far.
            Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

I carry a few firelogs in the RV. With it just being me or me and a friend, I find that having a real fire either means we are stuck there all night (and I often like t take night photos in the area) or we are watering down the fire and then the pit is soaked until the next day.

With the firelogs, I know that is a 1, 2, 3 or 4 hour commitment and after that there is nothing left to burn. So I can have a fire at 4pm and still go out with the camera at 7pm, then come back and have a fire at 8pm.

I prefer the logs that are safe for cooking.
              “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

I have done it when camping with the wife - she uses an extraordinary amount of firewood. Otherwise I don't do campfires. Some places don't allow it because of beetles or whatever.
                2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Working...
                X