meals for 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: meals for 1

I like a breakfast with coffee, eggs, and sausage since i skip lunch. Dinner is usually a steak, boneless chicken, or cajun catfish over the fire. maybe some sauteed mushrooms or uncle bens wild rice for a side. chips and dip are good for snackin

Comment

I mentioned in another post that I cook with a Biolite stove - more for heating things than actual cooking. I am content with apples, trail mix, granola bars, a bag of bagels, soup, crackers, a jar of peanut butter, and plenty of tea bags.
      - Laura
      Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
        Isn't that a given?
        Yes, that's why I didn't mention it.
        2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

I like to cook when camping!I know I’m strange that way! Lol. Breakfast is cold cereal or oatmeal if I feel like it. Since, I’m always on the go the next morning, I’ll often just eat snacks in the car. Lunch will be something simple like hot dogs or grilled cheese with chips or just a cold sandwich with an apple. Lunch is always at a rest stop. Dinner is steak, chicken, shrimp, pork, or pasta with potatoes or corn on the cob. I buy the meat then vacuum seal them in individually sized portions. The cleanup sucks though.

Oh yes, I always, always stop at Schatt’s Bakkery in Bishop for sandwich bread!
          Last edited by sailmike; 01-28-2018, 12:03 AM.

Comment

I almost always camp alone and since I car camp I'm not limited to what I can carry so I usually carry more than enough food to last the 3 or 4 days I'm out there. For breakfast I usually have sausage, eggs, and biscuits or maybe a sausage and egg taquito. I always carry sandwich meat so I can have a sandwich anytime during the day or for lunch or supper depending on my mood. If I decide I want to cook for lunch or supper I may have hot dogs and chili, a burger, a steak, a foil dinner, or something else if I have it. I have cooked spaghetti but that is too much trouble and requires too much clean up so I don't do that anymore. Of course I take some snacks, chips, potatoes, carrots, onions, beans and what ever else I may want to take.

I have back issues and since I can't walk very far I enjoy the solitude of camping and I read, or watch nature, maybe take a few pictures, take a nap when I want and when I get hungry I eat. I have an old Coleman 2 burner stove, a fold up oven for that stove, and a Coleman Peak 1 "backpacking" stove that I always take with me. The Peak 1 is used almost exclusively to make coffee. On one burner of the 2 burner stove I set up the oven to bake biscuits and on the other burner I cook my eggs and sausage. Almost everything else is cooked over charcoal.

Comment

I only camped by myself a couple of times. When I have it's been car hammock camping so weight isn't an issue. Breakfast and lunch are usually cooked with a stove and dinner over a campfire. Breakfast is usually oatmeal, lunch is a sandwich with veggies and fruit. However, I go all out for dinners. Chicken or beef on the grill. Potatoes in a foil packet with corn on the cob. And I love woofums for dessert!

Comment

What's a "woofum"? Is it made out of dog food??

Comment

Woofums are a pie of sorts. You use ready made dough (pillsbury grands, etc.), and stretch the dough around the end of a dowel. Then you cook it over ths campfire. When it's cooked, you remove it from the dowel and it makes a little bowl. Then you fill it with whatever fillings you prefer.
                  “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

OK, kind of like a trencher.

Comment

Yeah, a bit. It probably closest to pie iron meals, just open - you'd heat up the fillings separate.

If you like trenchers and burritos, try the old el paso tortilla boats. They are flour tortillas in a rough boat shape - can fill them with all sorts of things. I've done scrambled egg boats, taco boats, etc. Nice change from regular tacos.
                      “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
                        Yeah, a bit. It probably closest to pie iron meals, just open - you'd heat up the fillings separate.

If you like trenchers and burritos, try the old el paso tortilla boats. They are flour tortillas in a rough boat shape - can fill them with all sorts of things. I've done scrambled egg boats, taco boats, etc. Nice change from regular tacos.
                        This is a really good idea.
                        “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                        – E. B. White

Comment

Working...
                        X