Illusion of security

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Illusion of security

I think whether dispersed camping or campground camping, there aren't that many folks stealing from you. I think it's most likely going to happen close to an urban area rather than way out in the boondocks.

Sort of like that axe murderer hiding behind the tree. He's more likely to be hiding in an alleyway than out in the forest.
    “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
      Sort of like that axe murderer hiding behind the tree. He's more likely to be hiding in an alleyway than out in the forest.
      ...but they are more likely to have an ax in the forest...

There are criminals where ever you go; you are less likely to run across them in the woods simply because there are fewer people...

Had a creeper come through camp at least once...
      Had crack heads come out of the brush unexpectedly...
      Seen literally hundreds of stoners...
      Met someone with serious mental issues once.
      Someone set off a bomb (not a fire cracker) about a 1/4 mile away...
      Had bullets and shot from gun idjuts buzz through and drop into camp.
      Had some drunks drive through camp at high speed.
      A friend lost his beer and some steaks; they didn't bother my cooler, I was camped farther from the 4wd trail...

Never had any, significant, trouble personally though...

Enjoy!
      Last edited by Happy Joe; 02-06-2018, 08:27 AM.
      2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
      For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
      Ground tents work best for me, so far.
      Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Not only are there fewer people, but there are fewer opportunities to commit the crime.
        “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
          I would make a Reflectix cover for the Yeti AND chain it to something like a tree.
          This is exactly what I was thinking. I have been thinking of making a reflictix cover for my old coolers anyway just for the extra heat protection. In the end I tend to camp where there are few people. I don't know if I am in any real danger of something walking off so a chain will probably be enough.
          “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
          – E. B. White

Comment

My cooler is a minnow pail. I don't have any problems with people wanting to steal it.
            2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

I just picked up a yeti 45 for $150 off facebook marketplace. it's in pretty good shape plus if i don't like it, i can sell it and recoup my money
              Nights camped in 2019: 24
              Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Working...
              X