Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

Default Re: Illusion of security

Quote Originally Posted by bluestar99 View Post
    I felt the same way when I got a Yeti James. I found some decals on Ebay that are cut to fit. They provide some protection and disguise the cooler some.

Quote Originally Posted by 05Kingquad700 View Post
    Use one of lock bracket, and a chain and secure it to your vehicle. More options available on YouTube, search securing yeti cooler.
    https://youtu.be/t7ChahGcIkg
    Both useful and helpful ideas. Thanks guys. I still don't think I will be taking it tailgating but this will give me peace of mind while camping.
    “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
    – E. B. White

2. Likes bluestar99 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

I think the padlock and chain is the best solution. It will keep a bear from taking off with it also (but it may be a bit mangled from the attempt).

The decals seem to me to be more for easing your mind than any real deterrent. Sort of like folks who use diaper bags instead of camera bags - it puts their mind at ease but in reality as soon as you take the camera out, everyone knows you have it regardless of the bag. The decals convince your brain that it no longer looks like an expensive cooler, but for those really interested in stealing, they've already seen the dinstintive signs (like the yeti label).

But, having said that, it does seem most folks are more interested in taking what's in the cooler than just the cooler. Keep your beer and meats in a cheap cooler and your vegetables in the yeti, and I bet the cheap coolers get stolen first.
    “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

I would make a Reflectix cover for the Yeti AND chain it to something like a tree.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    I would make a Reflectix cover for the Yeti AND chain it to something like a tree.
    That might work better. With a full cover, they won't see logos, hinges, and other identifiable stuff.
    “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

I am fairly similar in handling my Yeti. I use the bear locks and run a metal cable around a tree (or picnic table) and then thru the locks. I cover the cooler with a wool blanket to both hide it and give it some extra protection from the warm air. Not sure how much more I can do.....it's covered so I'm not advertising it wildly, the lid is locked via the locks, and it's secured by the metal cable. All I am trying to do is make it very inconvenient and time consuming to get to either my cooler contents....or the cooler itself. That said.....if someone is determined...and has the tools and the time...they'll get it.

If it isn't real hot outside, I'll just leave the cooler in the SUV (covered by that wool blanket). I try to do this as much as possible.....my Yeti 50 weighs 26 lbs empty and holds 43 lbs of ice-almost 70 lbs or more total filled....so I try to minimize the amount of "lifts" I must perform.

As for other camping items....I've never had anything taken in my years of camping. I make sure I do not leave valuable items "in view" as much as possible (even when I am in the campsite---no sense advertising your stuff)...and I always put anything of value in the locked SUV whenever I'm out and about and away from the campsite (or....I take it with me).
    Last edited by a65hoosier; 02-06-2018 at 07:17 PM.
    2018: 2 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights 2015: 19 nights

Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, Big Agnes Yahmonite 5P
    Fall->Spring: Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Easton Mountain Products Torrent 3P
    Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; Big Agnes Three Forks Shelter

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

I think whether dispersed camping or campground camping, there aren't that many folks stealing from you. I think it's most likely going to happen close to an urban area rather than way out in the boondocks.

Sort of like that axe murderer hiding behind the tree. He's more likely to be hiding in an alleyway than out in the forest.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by toedtoes View Post
    Sort of like that axe murderer hiding behind the tree. He's more likely to be hiding in an alleyway than out in the forest.
    ...but they are more likely to have an ax in the forest...

There are criminals where ever you go; you are less likely to run across them in the woods simply because there are fewer people...

Had a creeper come through camp at least once...
    Had crack heads come out of the brush unexpectedly...
    Seen literally hundreds of stoners...
    Met someone with serious mental issues once.
    Someone set off a bomb (not a fire cracker) about a 1/4 mile away...
    Had bullets and shot from gun idjuts buzz through and drop into camp.
    Had some drunks drive through camp at high speed.
    A friend lost his beer and some steaks; they didn't bother my cooler, I was camped farther from the 4wd trail...

Never had any, significant, trouble personally though...

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Happy Joe; 02-06-2018 at 09:27 AM.
    2006 Jeep Rubicon; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

Not only are there fewer people, but there are fewer opportunities to commit the crime.

I Have to Get Out...Again James.'s Avatar
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    This is exactly what I was thinking. I have been thinking of making a reflictix cover for my old coolers anyway just for the extra heat protection. In the end I tend to camp where there are few people. I don't know if I am in any real danger of something walking off so a chain will probably be enough.
    “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
    – E. B. White

11. Likes Karla "with a k" liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

My cooler is a minnow pail. I don't have any problems with people wanting to steal it.
    2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

13. Likes James. liked this post

Thread Information