Thread: Illusion of security

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

Default Illusion of security

Does dispersed camping leave you more vunerable to theft if you leave for any extended period of time during the day than any other form of camping?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

Default Re: Illusion of security

Potentially; although I haven't had a problem friends have (lost beer and steaks and a pickup pulled into a camp then left after a granny with a .357 asked what they wanted)...
    Unfortunately the availability of 4wds and encroaching "civilization" (along with the legalization of pot) seems to be bringing out the scum with increasing frequency.
    Normally a dog is plenty to act as an alarm and to keep the black bears away (although I miss them if I don't see at least one)...

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Happy Joe; 01-23-2018 at 11:26 AM.
    2006 Jeep Rubicon; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

It depends on where you go. Are you camping in an open area that is popular? Then you might have more traffic coming through and more potential thefts while you're out and about.

If you are camping in a forest or other thickly treed area then you could keep your campsite pretty low key and not draw attention.

My personal observatiobs have been that thefts occur more often in areas close to town (and popular with partiers) and/or in areas frequented by high numbers of homeless (as there is more chance that you will come across someone looking for quick money).

Of the thefts I've been told about (never experienced it myself -knock on wood) they have all been of coolers with food or beer.

For me, I simply keep things put away and out of sight. With an RV, I have an appearance of being more secure than a tent camper. As a tent camper, I would never leave expensive items (cameras, guns, etc.) behind while I go hiking, etc. Stuff like that would be with my person at all times - and if it was too awkward to have it with me at all times, I would leave it home.
    “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

I agree. When tent camping,if I leave the site for any length of time, anything valuable goes in my vehicle or my daypack. I like to think that most folks that are camping are there for the same reasons as myself and not to be predators/opportunists but the world is changing and not for the better.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

Like others have said, the stuff that would hurt my feelings if I lost it (camera, guitar, gun) goes in the truck with me when I'm out and about. Otherwise I leave it at home.
    2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

I Have to Get Out...Again James.'s Avatar
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

This thread is taking on new meaning now that I have a Yeti cooler.
    “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
    – E. B. White

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by James. View Post
    This thread is taking on new meaning now that I have a Yeti cooler.
    I felt the same way when I got a Yeti James. I found some decals on Ebay that are cut to fit. They provide some protection and disguise the cooler some.

8. Likes James. liked this post
    The Banned One!!!!
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

Don't the yetis come with a place to secure it to your truck? Wouldn't stop someone who is prepared, but it would prevent crimes of opportunity.

The Banned One!!!!
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

Use one of lock bracket, and a chain and secure it to your vehicle. More options available on YouTube, search securing yeti cooler.
    https://youtu.be/t7ChahGcIkg

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

I just use a length of chain and 2 padlocks (keyed alike) to leash the pelican to a tree to keep it from "wandering" off...

...for most things; I don't bring it if I am not willing to give it away (non-voluntarily)...one reason that most of my gear is on the inexpensive side...
    Camping can be hard on gear, I figure on replacing chairs after 3 to 5 years of use (end of season sales are great)...

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Happy Joe; 02-04-2018 at 09:31 AM.
    2006 Jeep Rubicon; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Thread Information