Illusion of security

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Illusion of security

Does dispersed camping leave you more vunerable to theft if you leave for any extended period of time during the day than any other form of camping?

Re: Illusion of security

Potentially; although I haven't had a problem friends have (lost beer and steaks and a pickup pulled into a camp then left after a granny with a .357 asked what they wanted)...
    Unfortunately the availability of 4wds and encroaching "civilization" (along with the legalization of pot) seems to be bringing out the scum with increasing frequency.
    Normally a dog is plenty to act as an alarm and to keep the black bears away (although I miss them if I don't see at least one)...

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Happy Joe; 01-23-2018, 10:26 AM.
    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

It depends on where you go. Are you camping in an open area that is popular? Then you might have more traffic coming through and more potential thefts while you're out and about.

If you are camping in a forest or other thickly treed area then you could keep your campsite pretty low key and not draw attention.

My personal observatiobs have been that thefts occur more often in areas close to town (and popular with partiers) and/or in areas frequented by high numbers of homeless (as there is more chance that you will come across someone looking for quick money).

Of the thefts I've been told about (never experienced it myself -knock on wood) they have all been of coolers with food or beer.

For me, I simply keep things put away and out of sight. With an RV, I have an appearance of being more secure than a tent camper. As a tent camper, I would never leave expensive items (cameras, guns, etc.) behind while I go hiking, etc. Stuff like that would be with my person at all times - and if it was too awkward to have it with me at all times, I would leave it home.
      “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

I agree. When tent camping,if I leave the site for any length of time, anything valuable goes in my vehicle or my daypack. I like to think that most folks that are camping are there for the same reasons as myself and not to be predators/opportunists but the world is changing and not for the better.

Comment

Like others have said, the stuff that would hurt my feelings if I lost it (camera, guitar, gun) goes in the truck with me when I'm out and about. Otherwise I leave it at home.
          2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

This thread is taking on new meaning now that I have a Yeti cooler.
            “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
            – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
              This thread is taking on new meaning now that I have a Yeti cooler.
              I felt the same way when I got a Yeti James. I found some decals on Ebay that are cut to fit. They provide some protection and disguise the cooler some.

Comment

Don't the yetis come with a place to secure it to your truck? Wouldn't stop someone who is prepared, but it would prevent crimes of opportunity.
                Nights camped in 2019: 24
                Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Use one of lock bracket, and a chain and secure it to your vehicle. More options available on YouTube, search securing yeti cooler.
                  https://youtu.be/t7ChahGcIkg
                  Nights camped in 2019: 24
                  Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

I just use a length of chain and 2 padlocks (keyed alike) to leash the pelican to a tree to keep it from "wandering" off...

...for most things; I don't bring it if I am not willing to give it away (non-voluntarily)...one reason that most of my gear is on the inexpensive side...
                    Camping can be hard on gear, I figure on replacing chairs after 3 to 5 years of use (end of season sales are great)...

Enjoy!
                    Last edited by Happy Joe; 02-04-2018, 08:31 AM.
                    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
                    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Originally posted by bluestar99 View Post
                      I felt the same way when I got a Yeti James. I found some decals on Ebay that are cut to fit. They provide some protection and disguise the cooler some.

Originally posted by 05Kingquad700 View Post
                      Use one of lock bracket, and a chain and secure it to your vehicle. More options available on YouTube, search securing yeti cooler.
                      https://youtu.be/t7ChahGcIkg
                      Both useful and helpful ideas. Thanks guys. I still don't think I will be taking it tailgating but this will give me peace of mind while camping.
                      “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                      – E. B. White

Comment

I think the padlock and chain is the best solution. It will keep a bear from taking off with it also (but it may be a bit mangled from the attempt).

The decals seem to me to be more for easing your mind than any real deterrent. Sort of like folks who use diaper bags instead of camera bags - it puts their mind at ease but in reality as soon as you take the camera out, everyone knows you have it regardless of the bag. The decals convince your brain that it no longer looks like an expensive cooler, but for those really interested in stealing, they've already seen the dinstintive signs (like the yeti label).

But, having said that, it does seem most folks are more interested in taking what's in the cooler than just the cooler. Keep your beer and meats in a cheap cooler and your vegetables in the yeti, and I bet the cheap coolers get stolen first.
                        “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

I would make a Reflectix cover for the Yeti AND chain it to something like a tree.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                            I would make a Reflectix cover for the Yeti AND chain it to something like a tree.
                            That might work better. With a full cover, they won't see logos, hinges, and other identifiable stuff.

Comment

I am fairly similar in handling my Yeti. I use the bear locks and run a metal cable around a tree (or picnic table) and then thru the locks. I cover the cooler with a wool blanket to both hide it and give it some extra protection from the warm air. Not sure how much more I can do.....it's covered so I'm not advertising it wildly, the lid is locked via the locks, and it's secured by the metal cable. All I am trying to do is make it very inconvenient and time consuming to get to either my cooler contents....or the cooler itself. That said.....if someone is determined...and has the tools and the time...they'll get it.

If it isn't real hot outside, I'll just leave the cooler in the SUV (covered by that wool blanket). I try to do this as much as possible.....my Yeti 50 weighs 26 lbs empty and holds 43 lbs of ice-almost 70 lbs or more total filled....so I try to minimize the amount of "lifts" I must perform.

As for other camping items....I've never had anything taken in my years of camping. I make sure I do not leave valuable items "in view" as much as possible (even when I am in the campsite---no sense advertising your stuff)...and I always put anything of value in the locked SUV whenever I'm out and about and away from the campsite (or....I take it with me).
                              Last edited by a65hoosier; 02-06-2018, 06:17 PM.
                              2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
                              Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
                              Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
                              Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X