Tent advice.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tent advice.

I need a solid recommendation on a tent that I can stand up in put all my gear it thats decently well made. I need enough room to set up cots, I can put ply wood down for the legs to not rip a whole threw it. Ill be using it some not a bunch, it can't cost alot of money. Needs to be water proof wind proof all that good stuff. thanks in advance. Hopefully I can get a good recommendation so I can move on

thanks fellas .

Re: Tent advice.

...Tried numerous tents, my favorite quick to set up, short tem stay (2day) is a 9x9 eureka dome, it works pretty well but when the water rises up on the out side walls the floor tends to seep... I can only stand upright in the exact center.
    My lonest term 2 week+ stay tent is a 12x12 Cablella's alakknak tent; room enough for cots and dancing ... heavy and takes a while to setup/breakdown.
    The tent I use most often is a 10 by 10 (actually closer to 9x9 inside) 4 door standing room tent; Chinese quality but, overall, acceptable it is held up by a 10 x10 canopy which gives it 2 layers of roof. I figure that if I have problems with rain hitting the sides I will install my canopy walls for 2 layers of sidewalls... the canopy walls appear to be tedlar and are very noisy in the wind.

Overall the best tents that I have used were heavy old fashioned canvass; much warmer also much heavier and harder to handle...Note; some folks do not like these.
    Expect any tent to leak until it dries completely out, if touched wile wet and also expect to seal the seams. The bester tents have taped seams and at least 16 stitches per inch.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Happy Joe; 01-23-2018, 11:36 AM.
    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

You need to define what "a lot of money" is to you. Let us know how much you want to spend and then you will get better recommendations. Coleman has some tents you can stand in, that they claim to have great water and wind resistance, and some of them are very large but they may be too pricey for you. Check Walmart, Academy, or whatever sporting goods store you have locally. Online, check out Cabelas, Bass Pro Shop, Campmor, REI, etc. Find the name of tent manufacturers and see what they have to offer, they usually have more styles and sizes than what you will find in local or online stores.

I don't camp a lot but several years ago I had a tent from Walmart, don't remember the manufacturer, that was 9x10 or maybe a little larger and had a 6' 7" ceiling. It held 2 cots with room for a chair between the cots and lots of room for belongings. It cost less than $100 and lasted for several years of light use. I bought a roll of 6 mil plastic sheeting and cut a footprint to protect the tent bottom, a piece to cover the rain fly that I didn't trust, with enough left over for a tarp to set up over my eating, lounging area. The tent never leaked and withstood several heavy thunderstorms. It really wasn't a bad tent and was cheap. Usually, a more expensive tent will be made from heavier duty material and will last longer with moderate to heavy use.

Comment

All I can say here is, don't go with Coleman. Mine was like standing under a showerhead, although a blue tarp fixed that. Eureka Copper Canyon seems like a good tent.
        2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Iv'e only had 1 overnight with it, but the Eureka Jade Canyon 4 is pretty nice. 10 minute setup and I got it for under $300.Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00366.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	71041Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00367.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	71042

Comment

Originally posted by Charley View Post
            Iv'e only had 1 overnight with it, but the Eureka Jade Canyon 4 is pretty nice. 10 minute setup and I got it for under $300.[ATTACH=CONFIG]6369[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]6370[/ATTACH]
            Is that an electric coffee maker?
            “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
            – E. B. White

Comment

Uh...yes, yes it is :whistle:. This is by no means, my typical "overnight" set up. It was a last minute trip to try out the new tent and I wanted to have my coffee waiting for me first thing. Yep... I'll just keep quiet now.:ouch:

Comment

Coffee is my morning jump starter too; 'though I use an old fashioned percolator camping.
                ...Looks like an entirely livable setup...

Enjoy!
                2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Yep, just to clarify, this was the first time with this tent. I bought it to be used on fishing trips with my dad. He can't deal with crawling into a small tent anymore so now we have a good quality tent that we can stand up and move around in that isn't too large. We were using a 10 person Ozark Trail lately as well, which is extremely airy and great for warm weather camping. I'll try and find a pic of that one as well. I think it's discontinued but could give a small review later.

Comment

I hear you; these old bones do not like trying to get up off the ground anymore either... My biggest complaint with the 6 foot tall domes has always been bending over to get inside and the fact that I can only stand up straight in one place (have to go outside to get a good stretch)...

Enjoy!

Comment

For a budget-friendly, durable tent that offers enough headroom and space for cots and gear, you might consider the Core 9 Person Extended Dome Tent. It's reasonably priced, provides adequate standing room, and has dividers to create separate rooms if needed. It's a good option for occasional use, offering good waterproofing and wind resistance. You may want to reinforce the flooring with plywood or a tarp for added protection, but overall, it's a solid choice for your requirements without breaking the bank. You can usually find it at outdoor gear retailers or online platforms.

Comment

Originally posted by James Oliver View Post
                        For a budget-friendly, durable tent that offers enough headroom and space for cots and gear, you might consider the Core 9 Person Extended Dome Tent. It's reasonably priced, provides adequate standing room, and has dividers to create separate rooms if needed. It's a good option for occasional use, offering good waterproofing and wind resistance. You may want to reinforce the flooring with plywood or a tarp for added protection, but overall, it's a solid choice for your requirements without breaking the bank. You can usually find it at outdoor gear retailers or online platforms.
                        What kind of tarp would you suggest for protection? Like a heavy duty tarp or would something lower quality would work just as well?

Comment

Working...
                        X