Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

Default Re: Christmas toys?

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    There are SD card duplicators out there. Even the small ones are a bit pricey yet, but for the serious photographer that could be an option. A cheaper alternative to that could be to transfer everything to a tablet with a USB adapter and a card reader. Just a thought...
    I normally just dump the card contents (pictures for the camera) to a hard drive after use; I normally want to adjust/resize etc. any how.
    Many computers have card readers so duplication is easy (with the conents backed up to hard drive (and the hard drive backed up regularly) its kind of a moot point though)...

Sorry! no toys this year...lots of fattening things to eat though...

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Happy Joe; 01-09-2018 at 07:50 AM.
    2006 Jeep Rubicon; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
    Tents work best for me, so far.
    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

When you're traveling and all your weight is going towards the camera and lenses, you don't have the laptop to which to load the photos. And there is no external hard drive to which to back it up.

When I'm just around the area, it's no big deal. But when you're a 6+ hour flight away, those cards are precious. Still can't find my friggin' waterfall photos...

I always shoot in RAW, so everything gets uploaded to my hard drive for processing once I'm home.
    “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

That is my problem. I take most of my photos on trips. So no convenient way to back up the cards away from home. What I am really looking for, is a way to preview my pictures at the end of the day, on a larger screen. I may take 20 shots of the same thing, but only want to keep a couple. But other then previewing them in the camera I have no way of seeing which should be kept. I can not find a tablet that takes full size SD cards, only the micro ones. While I like my Mac, they require you to download all you pictures first to view them in full screen. Then delete off what you do not want to keep. I would like a small devise that I can do the reverse. Preview, delete the garbage, and then download the images I want to the computer. An average trip could be 1700 large file images. That eats a lot of space on a hard drive if I'm ending up only keeping 200-300 hundred of the images. If anyone knows of a solution to my problem, I'm all ears!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by bluestar99 View Post
    If anyone knows of a solution to my problem, I'm all ears!
    It sounds to me like you're seriously into photography enough to warrant a card duplicator. There are small units on Amazon for around $130-150. Seems to me that would be the most convenient and compact way to do it.

5. Likes bluestar99 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

I just keep everything. I've gone back 5 years later and saw a photo I thought was a tosser and realized it had great potential. As I learn more developing tricks in photoshop, I find ways to turn a mediocre image into a great finished item.

I did have a PSD - portable storage device that I could download cards into. There was no viewing, but it allowed me to back up the card. I used it alot when cards were expensive. It doesn't work now, so I just buy more cards.
    “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

7. Likes bluestar99 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    It sounds to me like you're seriously into photography enough to warrant a card duplicator. There are small units on Amazon for around $130-150. Seems to me that would be the most convenient and compact way to do it.
    I am going to look into a card duplicator. That solves the storage problem on the road, I just need to also find a preview screen of some sort.

Thanks, MacGyver

9. Thanks MacGyver thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by toedtoes View Post
    I just keep everything. I've gone back 5 years later and saw a photo I thought was a tosser and realized it had great potential. As I learn more developing tricks in photoshop, I find ways to turn a mediocre image into a great finished item.

I did have a PSD - portable storage device that I could download cards into. There was no viewing, but it allowed me to back up the card. I used it alot when cards were expensive. It doesn't work now, so I just buy more cards.
    I do keep more images then I probably need. But viewing on the camera screen, which is all I have now, does not let me see how sharp the images are, especially with a Macro image. I also carry a high quality point n shoot style camera when a DSLR is to bulky or a security risk. That camera can just slip into a pocket if I need it. So this also splits my shooting onto 2 cards at a time.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by bluestar99 View Post
    I just need to also find a preview screen of some sort. Thanks, MacGyver
    You're welcome. My earlier suggestion might work for that. A USB adapter with a card reader on a tablet if you're shooting to any type of card but MicroSD. With MicroSD, a tablet would be the perfect thing to use for previews.

12. Likes bluestar99 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by terasec View Post
    Now waiting for spring for some fine dining
    Attachment 6286
    Terasec, I recommend instead "The Forager's Harvest". MUCH more practical. I have several books on edible and medicinal plants, including the Peterson's guide, and TFH is hands down the best.
    2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by toedtoes View Post
    When you're traveling and all your weight is going towards the camera and lenses, you don't have the laptop to which to load the photos. And there is no external hard drive to which to back it up.

When I'm just around the area, it's no big deal. But when you're a 6+ hour flight away, those cards are precious. Still can't find my friggin' waterfall photos...

I always shoot in RAW, so everything gets uploaded to my hard drive for processing once I'm home.
    I shoot analog, the original RAW :-) Added quite a few camera bodies to my collection this December. And lenses to match.
    2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Thread Information