Christmas toys?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Christmas toys?

I just keep everything. I've gone back 5 years later and saw a photo I thought was a tosser and realized it had great potential. As I learn more developing tricks in photoshop, I find ways to turn a mediocre image into a great finished item.

I did have a PSD - portable storage device that I could download cards into. There was no viewing, but it allowed me to back up the card. I used it alot when cards were expensive. It doesn't work now, so I just buy more cards.
    “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
      It sounds to me like you're seriously into photography enough to warrant a card duplicator. There are small units on Amazon for around $130-150. Seems to me that would be the most convenient and compact way to do it.
      I am going to look into a card duplicator. That solves the storage problem on the road, I just need to also find a preview screen of some sort.

Thanks, MacGyver

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
        I just keep everything. I've gone back 5 years later and saw a photo I thought was a tosser and realized it had great potential. As I learn more developing tricks in photoshop, I find ways to turn a mediocre image into a great finished item.

I did have a PSD - portable storage device that I could download cards into. There was no viewing, but it allowed me to back up the card. I used it alot when cards were expensive. It doesn't work now, so I just buy more cards.
        I do keep more images then I probably need. But viewing on the camera screen, which is all I have now, does not let me see how sharp the images are, especially with a Macro image. I also carry a high quality point n shoot style camera when a DSLR is to bulky or a security risk. That camera can just slip into a pocket if I need it. So this also splits my shooting onto 2 cards at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by bluestar99 View Post
          I just need to also find a preview screen of some sort. Thanks, MacGyver
          You're welcome. My earlier suggestion might work for that. A USB adapter with a card reader on a tablet if you're shooting to any type of card but MicroSD. With MicroSD, a tablet would be the perfect thing to use for previews.

Comment

Originally posted by terasec View Post
            Now waiting for spring for some fine dining
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]6286[/ATTACH]
            Terasec, I recommend instead "The Forager's Harvest". MUCH more practical. I have several books on edible and medicinal plants, including the Peterson's guide, and TFH is hands down the best.
            2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

When you're traveling and all your weight is going towards the camera and lenses, you don't have the laptop to which to load the photos. And there is no external hard drive to which to back it up.

When I'm just around the area, it's no big deal. But when you're a 6+ hour flight away, those cards are precious. Still can't find my friggin' waterfall photos...

I always shoot in RAW, so everything gets uploaded to my hard drive for processing once I'm home.
              I shoot analog, the original RAW :-) Added quite a few camera bodies to my collection this December. And lenses to match.

Comment

I almost forgot, I did get a Marmot UL rain shell.

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Mormon View Post
                  I shoot analog, the original RAW :-) Added quite a few camera bodies to my collection this December. And lenses to match.

Oh, you're one of THEM! :wink2:

I used to shoot film way back in the day. Used my dad's pentax k1000. When I moved out on my own, I couldn't afford the price of film and developing anymore so I stopped. Digital allowed me to get back into it.

I have a nice set of lenses. I researched really hard before buying so I wouldn't spend money replacing. I shoot Canon and have the following:

Tamron 28-75mm f2.8
                  Tamron 17-50mm f2.8
                  Tokina 11-16mm f2.8
                  Tamron 70-200mm f2.8
                  Tamron 200-500mm (not 2.8)

I have been really happy with these lenses. At my old job, I used the Canon 24-70mm f2.8 and I much prefer the tones on the Tamron. They are much warmer which is great for wildlife and scenics. I have 3 bodies: 40D, 50D and rebel xt (set up as infrared).

Not much else I need. I don't care for people or studio shots so don't see the need for prime lenses. Might pick up a fisheye at some point.
                  “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

I got a Canon T90 and an Eos A2e, in the Canon line. The T90 is my go-to camera for small format. I'm working on building a library of prime lenses for it, but I'm really more into my 4x5 outfit. That's where the $$ go.

Comment

Oh, and FWIW, K1000's are highly collectable. They cost way more on the used market than more "advanced" cameras. My first camera was a Minolta, so that's the bulk of my collection. The later plastic Minolta's are very lightweight and capable cameras, good for packing. Also cheap to replace.

Comment

I have a friend who shoots large and medium format. Comments about his towel are always appreciated... :tussor:

Comment

A towel? I always carry one (beach towel), plus makes for a good blackout curtain :-)

Comment

I have a friend who shoots large and medium format. Comments about his towel are always appreciated... :tussor:

Before I comment, I'd like to know more about the absorbency and drying time.
                            2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
                            Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
                            Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
                            Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Mormon View Post
                              A towel? I always carry one (beach towel), plus makes for a good blackout curtain :-)
                              “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                              – E. B. White

Comment

I'm pretty sure they stole that from Douglas Adams...

Comment

Working...
                                X