Christmas toys?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christmas toys?

So, what did you get? I asked my son to make me a hex tarp. Instead he made me a new hammock and bought a Chill Gorilla tarp for me. My Grand Trunk Double is comfy as it is, but the extra width gets in the way sometimes. Plus he made me an 11' hammock, on the same dimensions as the WB Blackbird (aka "The Blackbird of Happiness"), which is something I had mentioned that I would like. So, I've been working every day ever since and haven't had a chance to string it up, but I'll post pics when I do. Sewing machines are marvelous things.
    2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Re: Christmas toys?

Nothing major - went to China for 10 days in November instead.

Did get a pair of led backup lights to replace the one I lost last summer when gps sent me down a trail. Switched out the contact paper on my dinette table (hate the ugly blond fake wood look). And picked up a heated seat cushion for winter camping.
    “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Now waiting for spring for some fine dining
      Click image for larger version

Name:	FDBB19F9-6DA7-4178-A6E8-014DD660CB0B.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	70985

Comment

Got a Google Pixel 2XL smartphone to replace a challenged Droid. It has an outstanding camera.
        - Laura
        Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

Nothing specifically camping-related, per-se, but I am the proud new owner of a heavy duty sewing machine (killed my old one trying to sew heavy duty stuff on a regular machine, oooops!) that I'm sure will be well used on making some camping gear, and a spiffy new pair of Merrell Jungle Mocs that will see some camping/hiking mileage, I'm sure! Also got the ok from Hubby to replace our old, broken cabin tent as a bonus Christmas present, so will be ordering that before too long.
          Married to Longpants, Mom to Littlepants (9) and Tinypants (5). Love Camping in New England!

Comment

Gift cards to bass pro for camping gear

Comment

My Trailer got a new indoor outdoor wireless thermometer. Very exciting! I also got a new Olympus camera body. I can use the lenses I have and I also got a new camera bag. I want time to learn the new camera features. This July my siblings and all our kids are going to Ireland. Twelve adults in 3 cars driving on the wrong side of the road. Should be fun.

Comment

Originally posted by bluestar99 View Post
                My Trailer got a new indoor outdoor wireless thermometer. Very exciting! I also got a new Olympus camera body. I can use the lenses I have and I also got a new camera bag. I want time to learn the new camera features. This July my siblings and all our kids are going to Ireland. Twelve adults in 3 cars driving on the wrong side of the road. Should be fun.
                How exciting!!! Stock up on memory cards. These new massive gb cards are convenient but if you lose one you lose everything... And yes, it is very possible to lose one (don't ask).
                “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Osprey Kestrel 48L and a new pair of Merrell Ventilators. Taking the new pack on an overnight hike this Sat/Sun! :yipi:

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
                    How exciting!!! Stock up on memory cards. These new massive gb cards are convenient but if you lose one you lose everything... And yes, it is very possible to lose one (don't ask).
                    I know what you mean. I usually carry several 32GB SD cards just for the reason you mentioned. I had a card crash a few years ago. I even sent it in to see if they could recover the pictures. No Luck. So now I use smaller cards and more of them.

Comment

There are SD card duplicators out there. Even the small ones are a bit pricey yet, but for the serious photographer that could be an option. A cheaper alternative to that could be to transfer everything to a tablet with a USB adapter and a card reader. Just a thought...

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                        There are SD card duplicators out there. Even the small ones are a bit pricey yet, but for the serious photographer that could be an option. A cheaper alternative to that could be to transfer everything to a tablet with a USB adapter and a card reader. Just a thought...
                        I normally just dump the card contents (pictures for the camera) to a hard drive after use; I normally want to adjust/resize etc. any how.
                        Many computers have card readers so duplication is easy (with the conents backed up to hard drive (and the hard drive backed up regularly) its kind of a moot point though)...

Sorry! no toys this year...lots of fattening things to eat though...

Enjoy!
                        Last edited by Happy Joe; 01-09-2018, 06:50 AM.
                        2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                        For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                        Ground tents work best for me, so far.
                        Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

When you're traveling and all your weight is going towards the camera and lenses, you don't have the laptop to which to load the photos. And there is no external hard drive to which to back it up.

When I'm just around the area, it's no big deal. But when you're a 6+ hour flight away, those cards are precious. Still can't find my friggin' waterfall photos...

I always shoot in RAW, so everything gets uploaded to my hard drive for processing once I'm home.

Comment

That is my problem. I take most of my photos on trips. So no convenient way to back up the cards away from home. What I am really looking for, is a way to preview my pictures at the end of the day, on a larger screen. I may take 20 shots of the same thing, but only want to keep a couple. But other then previewing them in the camera I have no way of seeing which should be kept. I can not find a tablet that takes full size SD cards, only the micro ones. While I like my Mac, they require you to download all you pictures first to view them in full screen. Then delete off what you do not want to keep. I would like a small devise that I can do the reverse. Preview, delete the garbage, and then download the images I want to the computer. An average trip could be 1700 large file images. That eats a lot of space on a hard drive if I'm ending up only keeping 200-300 hundred of the images. If anyone knows of a solution to my problem, I'm all ears!

Comment

Originally posted by bluestar99 View Post
                              If anyone knows of a solution to my problem, I'm all ears!
                              It sounds to me like you're seriously into photography enough to warrant a card duplicator. There are small units on Amazon for around $130-150. Seems to me that would be the most convenient and compact way to do it.

Comment

Working...
                              X