Gear suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gear suggestions

I have tried and failed to find a comfortable light or ultra-light chair. I met this guy once who had one that was essentially a sling and it was very close to the ground. It was a trick getting in and out of it but it was very comfortble and weighed less than a pound. I have never been able to find that chair; I asuume it has not been made for many years. One nice thing about a hammock however, is that it also doubles as a chair. When I'm car camping (which is almost always these days) I still bring a folding chair, but I could do without one when hiking now.
    2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Any chance you're talking about the ENO chairs like this?

Comment

I have a pair of "lo-chairs" that I bought at a festival in Ottawa. They are made from hockey sticks and sit low to the ground, but have an angle that can comfortably fit a person of any leg length. I love the dearly. But they don't carry on hikes well.
        “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

I have been trying to reduce size/weight on camping gear if I can, and just happen to need new chairs for the girls and I for the upcoming season. I originally found the Helinox Chair Zero and Chair One, they fold up nice and small and come in a 1-2 lbs, but I have a hard time shelling out $100 for a camping chair! I figured there must be some knock-offs, so went on the hunt and found the Moon Lence that still has the small pack size, but higher weight end of things at 2 lbs ea, and I knew there had to be an even cheaper option out there. Ended up finding the iHomeard at $15 a pop, and for that price (and the space savings when packing up for camping) I figured I could try a few out for myself and the girls. They seem to get pretty good reviews and I really don't want another set of the usual folding quad camp chair at a much bigger size and more weight.
          Last edited by Shortpants; 02-02-2018, 04:46 PM.
          Married to Longpants, Mom to Littlepants (9) and Tinypants (5). Love Camping in New England!

Comment

Interesting chairs. Let us know how they work for you.

I admit, I've gotten spoiled and really like the "no set up" routine I've currently got. The 2 cots I got for the dogs are the only things I have to put together upon arrival and it makes it very quick and easy.
            “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Here's a tip: make a check list for camping and save it to your computer. Take it with you and add to it until you have established the gear that caters to your needs. Then print it off every time you go camping. Makes packing easy without too much brain. I have a file called "lists" that has many different check lists for gathering gear: Primative camping, fishing, motel stay, hiking, ice-fishing, hunting, groceries, etc....... I love it.

Comment

Originally posted by captain belly View Post
                Here's a tip: make a check list for camping and save it to your computer. Take it with you and add to it until you have established the gear that caters to your needs. Then print it off every time you go camping. Makes packing easy without too much brain. I have a file called "lists" that has many different check lists for gathering gear: Primative camping, fishing, motel stay, hiking, ice-fishing, hunting, groceries, etc....... I love it.
                Ah, another list maker at heart. I love lists! My problem is that I love lists so much, I end up making a new one for every trip. Seriously, the one I made last month just won't work for this month - I WILL find something that needs to be different just so I can make a new list.

Comment

Mac,

No, this was a chair made of two rectangular frames connected at the middle in an X configuration for folding. A swatch of fabric went across the whole deal, but it wasn't stretched taut for sitting on, it hung loosely like a U. Didn't look comfortable but it really was, and gave your lower back good support. It was a type of sling chair and I've seen similar ones, but never this one.

Comment

Ikea

Search for "folding sling chair" and you'll find more than a few companies making 'em way more durable looking than this one.
                    Last edited by MacGyver; 02-06-2018, 07:34 PM.

Comment

I've tried. No joy. Nothing like that one that guy had.

Comment

Maybe this one?

https://www.feedthehabit.com/wp-content/uploads/2005/09/gciTrailSling.jpg

OK. It sounds more like it's a hammock on an X frame. I bet you could make one. Might take a couple tries to get the ratios just right for ultimate comfort, but come on you can it!

Comment

Yeah, it's a lot like that. I prolly could make one but I don't hike much any more.

Comment

Originally posted by captain belly View Post
                            ^^^This! I've got lists for everything too.

Comment

Long ago, in the stone age; I started lists... eventually I had lists of lists and decided it was more trouble for me than it was worth.
                              Now I simply review what is loading;
                              Tent
                              Bag
                              Cot
                              chairs & end tables
                              food
                              Drinkables
                              clothes
                              Cook box (missile container)
                              Accessories... prepacked in their cases/totes only unpacked for a yearly cleaning/renewal (TP/soap/drugs/batteries etc.)

Anything that I miss/forget can be done without...or picked up on the way (gotta stop at the store for sweet rolls/donuts anyway)
                              A lot of stuff lives in the vehicles (duplicates in each) and never gets removed, or only for renewal; FAK, recovery tools, vehicle flashlight, large Svensaw, trifold e-tool, tools, vehicle supplies, etc.

Eventually everyone develops a system that works for them...

Enjoy!
                              2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                              For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                              Ground tents work best for me, so far.
                              Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
                                Long ago, in the stone age; I started lists... eventually I had lists of lists and decided it was more trouble for me than it was worth.
                                Now I simply review what is loading;
                                Tent
                                Bag
                                Cot
                                chairs & end tables
                                food
                                Drinkables
                                clothes
                                Cook box (missile container)
                                Accessories... prepacked in their cases/totes only unpacked for a yearly cleaning/renewal (TP/soap/drugs/batteries etc.)

Anything that I miss/forget can be done without...or picked up on the way (gotta stop at the store for sweet rolls/donuts anyway)
                                A lot of stuff lives in the vehicles (duplicates in each) and never gets removed, or only for renewal; FAK, recovery tools, vehicle flashlight, large Svensaw, trifold e-tool, tools, vehicle supplies, etc.

Eventually everyone develops a system that works for them...

Enjoy!
                                I don't know, that middle part looks eerily like a list... :whistle::whistle:

Comment

Working...
                                X