Why so quiet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why so quiet?

A buddy and I are heading down to the rv show this weekend. He had owned several travel trailers, so i am going to pick his brain. I may borrow a 6000 pound trailer from a coworker to see how my truck does with it.
    Nights camped in 2019: 24
    Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
      Looks nice. Has a decent amount of ccc (it's amazing how some tailers can go overweight just by adding a tank of water).

The only possible issue I see is the bed. If you're solo, no biggie. If you have a spouse joining you, one of you will have to climb over the other for middle of the night pit stops. And it can be a pain to make the bed if you don't use a sleeping bag. It wouldn't stop me, but a lot of folks hate it and end up finding a walkaround bed model.
      We did not go with a walk-around. Our bed is sideways against the front wall. My husband has most the left side to enter the bed, which is helpful as he is mobility-challenged. One advantage of an 8ft wide trailer versus a 7ft wide trailer is that there is access for me to get in from the foot of the bed.

- Laura
      Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

That works well then.

Always good to look at potential logistic issues like that and make sure it works for you. I've read a lot of posts from folks who buy an RV only to trade it in a year later because they didn't thinks things through.
        “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

.....because they didn't thinks things through.
          lol....I think this can be applied across a wide spectrum of activities/decisions/purchases....
          2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
          Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
          Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
          Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

That was rv overload. There were so many..... found some nice ones that were just above my weight limit, that i really liked. But they would of required me to upgrade to a F250. The sales people were another story. Some were good, others comical, others just down right pushy.
            My friend found one she really liked. 6700 pounds unloaded, my truck limit is 7100 to 8000 pounds. The sales guy was worse than any used cat salesman i ever met. He was telling me things like you can keep your weight down by not totally filing the fresh water tank, you can buy the trailer now and we can store it for free for 3 months on our lot, we can delivery it to your place for free, finance the trailer now, and you can upgrade your truck later. I mean i flat out told the guy my truck couldn't handle it, and he was trying his damnest to sell it to me. I then started posting attention to other peoples conversation and nor once did i hear a sales guy say, "no, your tow vehicle is to small." If you don't do your homework on your truck, then they will sell you something to big for your tow vehicle.
            One sales guy didn't have the trailer i was interested in, but it is our most popular model. Asked for a brochure, he was out. But if i put down a deposit, i could reserve one. "Do i look stupid enough to buy a trailer i can't even see a brochure on? " he tried to give me his card, but i time him no, i am good.
            One thing they need to do is start carrying ipads, so they can show videos of units that aren't at the show.
            I did find 1 other model i would like to see in person before i figure out which way to go. Either a light weight toy hauler or maybe upgrade to an F250
            Basically i learned more about shady salesman than rv`s.
            Last edited by 05Kingquad700; 01-06-2018, 05:04 PM.
            Nights camped in 2019: 24
            Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

That works well then.

Always good to look at potential logistic issues like that and make sure it works for you. I've read a lot of posts from folks who buy an RV only to trade it in a year later because they didn't thinks things through.

Very true. Just listened to my idiot co-worker explain how she just had her new washer and dryer delivered. Only to find out that she
              bought an electric dryer instead of a gas dryer...

Of course, not 2 minutes later, she called someone else an idiot...
              “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by 05Kingquad700 View Post
                That was rv overload. There were so many..... found some nice ones that were just above my weight limit, that i really liked. But they would of required me to upgrade to a F250. The sales people were another story. Some were good, others comical, others just down right pushy.
                My friend found one she really liked. 6700 pounds unloaded, my truck limit is 7100 to 8000 pounds. The sales guy was worse than any used cat salesman i ever met. He was telling me things like you can keep your weight down by not totally filing the fresh water tank, you can buy the trailer now and we can store it for free for 3 months on our lot, we can delivery it to your place for free, finance the trailer now, and you can upgrade your truck later. I mean i flat out told the guy my truck couldn't handle it, and he was trying his damnest to sell it to me. I then started posting attention to other peoples conversation and nor once did i hear a sales guy say, "no, your tow vehicle is to small." If you don't do your homework on your truck, then they will sell you something to big for your tow vehicle.
                One sales guy didn't have the trailer i was interested in, but it is our most popular model. Asked for a brochure, he was out. But if i put down a deposit, i could reserve one. "Do i look stupid enough to buy a trailer i can't even see a brochure on? " he tried to give me his card, but i time him no, i am good.
                One thing they need to do is start carrying ipads, so they can show videos of units that aren't at the show.
                I did find 1 other model i would like to see in person before i figure out which way to go. Either a light weight toy hauler or maybe upgrade to an F250
                Basically i learned more about shady salesman than rv`s.
                They are notorious for never acknowledging it's too much trailer for your vehicle. Yes, you do have to do your homework.

The "don't fill the fresh water tank" is very common with RVers. They see no problem filling up their tanks at their destination - even if it's a rustic campground with limited water supply. You will often hear them say it's to increase their mpg - um, when you're only getting 10mpg without a full tank, it's not helping...

You also should keep an eye out for residential fridges - they are really becoming common now as so many people only stay at full-hookup places. If you are doing traditional camping, you'll need to run a generator every day to recharge the electricity for the fridge to run. Same with a propane furnace - the fan will eat up your battery.

Comment

I'm kicking around the idea of getting a camper. Definitely nothing huge, just something with enough room that I don't feel like I'm sitting in a tent on wheels. Aside from the amenities I want it to have, the only rule I'm sticking to is to keep the loaded weight down to just over half the rated towing weight of my truck. I know from the popup I used to have and trying to pull it with a V6 engine that mountains can be hell on a vehicle. The V6 handled it just fine, but I definitely felt it on steep slopes. I don't expect to pull a travel trailer and have it feel like it's not even there, but I'm not about to tax the engine and transmission any more than I feel is prudent.

Comment

There's some nice lightweight trailers out there. The fiberglass shell style (casita, scamp, escape) are the most well built overall and least prone to leaks. But there are a bunch of other brands that make a nice trailer. Recently I saw a toy hauler that was really nice. Not carrying your ATVs, etc., but will handle a few bicycles or kayaks, etc. It even has an oven (not common in small trailers).

The biggest concern with lightweight trailers is the CCC. Some may only have about 100lbs after water and propane.

Comment

I'm on a forum that's all about fiberglass trailers and I've got several fiberglass trailer companies bookmarked. They all cost more than I'm willing to put into a camper just yet - even used. I'm figuring on a Craigslist camper until I'm ready to leave Maryland. Then it'll be fiberglass for traveling around the country. The Scamps look nice but kind of cramped with no option for a bed larger than a twin unless you go fifth wheel which I don't want. Olivers are over the top expensive and I have no clue what Casita is thinking with their 5'10" interior height in all but their Independence model. I'm pretty sure I'll wind up with an Escape - especially if the Canadian exchange rate is favorable at the time. Their 19 and 21 foot models both have a GVWR of 5,000 pounds - right where I need it to be.

Comment

I really like the Escapes. I've been looking at them (same ones as you) for a trailer. When the dogs are gone, I figure I'll do more long distance sightseeing trips for a while and the Durango and TT will be better suited for sightseeing than the clipper since I can drop the TT and drive the Durango into towns and cities. The clipper is perfect as I use it now for camping - much better than my old TT.

Will have to see if they'll work an oven in and lose the microwave...

Comment

Will have to see if they'll work an oven in and lose the microwave...
                          As of right now, the oven and the microwave are both options in the Escapes. I definitely want an oven. And, if I decide I want a microwave, I wouldn't want it built in. I'll go buy one at Wally World and stash it somewhere until I need it.
                          Last edited by MacGyver; 01-07-2018, 04:32 AM.

Comment

Oh that's nice. Last time I looked at the escapes, there was no oven option.

Comment

Working...
                            X