Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why so quiet?

Originally posted by Shortpants View Post
    Pfft... no camping for us, been averaging 10 to 20 below for us, and we have gotten about 2 feet of snow so far, so I'm just dreaming of summer camping adventures and trying to find the perfect tent for us to replace our broken one... while huddling under 14 blankets and sitting right next to the heating vent.... Brrrrrr.
    Old Man Winter generally socks you Northeasterners away for a few months. lol.

Any progression on the tent decision? So many models. I did check out your links to the various Outwells you're considering. Lots to think about and work through based on your camping style/family needs.

lololol....I can relate to your dreaming (I think all of us hardcore campers can relate). Your favorite site...seeing the new tent, the campsite layout/setup, everyone is having fun, food is great, nothing forgotten, no bugs...the perfect camping weekend....ahhhh. Doesn't always go that way but hey it's dreaming! Stay warm and keep us posted on the new tent.
    2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
    Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
    Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
    Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sailmike View Post
      Money is keeping me homebound. The 80 degree temperatures have me dying to go camping right now! I'm able to scrape enough money together to send my sleeping bag in to "Rainy Pass Repair" to have it professionally cleaned and the loft restored. Hope it's worth it.
      sailmike - If it doesn't need a repair, have you tried to wash it at home yourself using a down specific detergent from makers like Nikwax, GearAid, or Granger? You could save some real $$$. Requires some time/labor on your end to carefully wash/rinse/rinse/rinse/rinse/press out excess water in the bathtub and then slowly dry/work the down periodically to separate the clumps as it dries (and you have the benefit of nice warm 80 temps outside to help the process). But it isn't "hard" per se. There are all sorts of "how-tos" vids/instructions out on the internet to assist you. If your self wash/lofting doesn't work to your satisfaction, you can always send it in to be professionally cleaned. You're only out the bottle of down detergent and your time spent.
      Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
      Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
      Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
        Not camping yet. Spending this weekend getting the clipper in order for a long weekend trip in a few weeks. Going to a federal forest campground in Red Bluff. It's a bit different that most out here. It's right off the freeway with the river between. It has some sites with electrical hookups. Manicured lawns. Boat ramp. But, it has a couple nice trails that wander around a wildlife area. It makes for a nice "relax" location when the weather could be less than ideal - so I can go regardless.

Have trips planned most every month for this year. Already booked June. Will book July this month.
        Ha! "manicured lawns". I generally try to find/settle for mostly "level" and hopefully "rock/root-less".

I took a peek at their website. It's a nice campground (I like the small number of sites). Appear fairly level overall (I also like reserv systems that give you at least one pic of each site-lol). River watching. Excellent. Take some pics (you do have some sort of camera/gear-don't you? wink-lolololol) and post up a few here. Have a great trip!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by a65hoosier View Post
          Old Man Winter generally socks you Northeasterners away for a few months. lol.

Any progression on the tent decision? So many models. I did check out your links to the various Outwells you're considering. Lots to think about and work through based on your camping style/family needs.

lololol....I can relate to your dreaming (I think all of us hardcore campers can relate). Your favorite site...seeing the new tent, the campsite layout/setup, everyone is having fun, food is great, nothing forgotten, no bugs...the perfect camping weekend....ahhhh. Doesn't always go that way but hey it's dreaming! Stay warm and keep us posted on the new tent.
          You said it... gonna be the end of Jan before we get out of the single digits and below zero temps. It's been a frigid, snowy winter thus far, with no signs of anything changing real soon.

No real headway on the tent decision. Actually made it more difficult by deciding to consider the other two popular UK tunnel tent brands, Kampa and Vango. Now there are even MORE options to filter through! Oh joy. hahaha! I actually spent a couple hours this morning making a spreadsheet of the different models, specs, features, etc. so I could have a little better quick-view of the differences.

Hello, my name is Shortpants and I am a tentaholic. ROFLMAO!!!
          Married to Longpants, Mom to Littlepants (9) and Tinypants (5). Love Camping in New England!

Comment

Originally posted by 05Kingquad700 View Post
            Same as everyone else. It's cold. But i have been looking at camping trailers......i really like the Grey Wolf 19RR. RV show is next week. I have been thinking of some camping mods, but i need to see what direction i will go. some personnel changes at work and a new opportunity may come up, but the money has to be there.
            Link to trailer
            https://cheyennecampingcenter.com/rv...9rr-toy-hauler
            Looks nice. Has a decent amount of ccc (it's amazing how some tailers can go overweight just by adding a tank of water).

The only possible issue I see is the bed. If you're solo, no biggie. If you have a spouse joining you, one of you will have to climb over the other for middle of the night pit stops. And it can be a pain to make the bed if you don't use a sleeping bag. It wouldn't stop me, but a lot of folks hate it and end up finding a walkaround bed model.
            “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

No real headway on the tent decision. Actually made it more difficult by deciding to consider the other two popular UK tunnel tent brands, Kampa and Vango. Now there are even MORE options to filter through! Oh joy. hahaha! I actually spent a couple hours this morning making a spreadsheet of the different models, specs, features, etc. so I could have a little better quick-view of the differences.

Hello, my name is Shortpants and I am a tentaholic. ROFLMAO!!!
              I love it! I have spreadsheets for just about everything! Heck, I made one to decide what clothes to pack for a trip to China... :go:
              “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Hello, my name is Shortpants and I am a tentaholic.
                That's how I wound up with six tents that I can't bring myself to part with, even though I only use two of 'em. Gonna be even worse when I get a camper, hopefully some time this year.

Comment

I have spreadsheets for just about everything!
                  Like:
                  Solo Trip Minimal
                  Solo Trip Spring
                  Solo Trip Fall
                  Solo Trip Winter
                  Core Group Spring
                  Core Group Fall
                  Core Group Winter
                  Large Group Spring
                  Large Group Fall
                  Large Group Winter

Each of the Spring and Fall trips with separate lists to include fishing with and without the canoes. With early senior moments kicking in, I have to keep all these lists and print them out so I can check off things as I load it up, otherwise I invariably leave something important home.
                  No - No summer trips here. Hate it!

Comment

I am in the middle of a three week semester break. Been out to the travel trailer every day puttering around. My granddaughter and I stayed in it last week and camped in the side yard. We played ukuleles, board games, jigsaw
                    puzzles, read, and watched videos. A space heater kept us nice and cozy - one of the advantages of a little trailer is that it does not take much to heat it. Waiting for double digit weather to occur to go back out.

Click image for larger version

Name:	26114546_10215650672239689_8556114873798485761_o.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	70984
                    Last edited by actad; 01-01-2018, 02:54 PM.
                    - Laura
                    Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

Good for you actad. Your grand daughter will remember this her whole life. Simple pleasures are the best!

Comment

Looks nice. Has a decent amount of ccc (it's amazing how some tailers can go overweight just by adding a tank of water).

The only possible issue I see is the bed. If you're solo, no biggie. If you have a spouse joining you, one of you will have to climb over the other for middle of the night pit stops. And it can be a pain to make the bed if you don't use a sleeping bag. It wouldn't stop me, but a lot of folks hate it and end up finding a walkaround bed model.
                        The main thing for me is the loaded weight. I will be pulling with a half ton F150. I know one shot is an 8.5% grade at about 8000' elevation. And you lose about 3% of your horsepower for every 1000' above sea level. We will see of it works out.
                        Nights camped in 2019: 24
                        Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Been busy with the holidays. Glad for things to slow down a bit. Just watched my beloved Sooners get beat. Time to start thinking of our camping trip this summer. Would like to camp more, I really enjoy it but the rest of the family is just ok with it, the girls anyway. The boys like it more but I hate not all of us doing something together.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                            Like:
                            Solo Trip Minimal
                            Solo Trip Spring
                            Solo Trip Fall
                            Solo Trip Winter
                            Core Group Spring
                            Core Group Fall
                            Core Group Winter
                            Large Group Spring
                            Large Group Fall
                            Large Group Winter

Each of the Spring and Fall trips with separate lists to include fishing with and without the canoes. With early senior moments kicking in, I have to keep all these lists and print them out so I can check off things as I load it up, otherwise I invariably leave something important home.
                            No - No summer trips here. Hate it!
                            With the clipper, I don't have to worry about clothing or gear. But I do spreadsheets for meals for each trip. I have a spreadsheet for campgrounds - distance, cost, best sites, etc. Then I have a spreadsheet for the year's trips.

If I liked Access better, I'd have a database for everything.

Comment

Originally posted by 05Kingquad700 View Post
                              The main thing for me is the loaded weight. I will be pulling with a half ton F150. I know one shot is an 8.5% grade at about 8000' elevation. And you lose about 3% of your horsepower for every 1000' above sea level. We will see of it works out.
                              Don't forget the truck's payload also. The hitch weight can use up a lot of that.

Comment

Originally posted by a65hoosier View Post
                                We'll be going to Pokagon State Park in the far NE part of IN. One campground loop stays open and it has a heated restroom/showers. The reason for the visit here is to do the iced toboggan run they have at Pokagon.
                                Pokagon!!! Man I miss that place. I lived in Ft. Wayne for 7 years and the toboggan run at Pokagon was an every winter event for our family!

No camping for us since mid October. Me and a buddy are going to do a 30 mile (2 day, 1 night) hike on the Lone Star Trail in a couple weeks. Still too cold to talk the wife into a tent this time of year.

Comment

Working...
                                X