Why so quiet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why so quiet?

What has everyone been up to the last few days? Camping I hope.
    “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
    – E. B. White

Re: Why so quiet?

I decided not to head out camping for New Year's tonight. It's a bit too cold for my gear, but I'm heading out to Wisconsin's Frozen Butt Hammock Hang in two weeks - as long as the low is at least ten degrees. Otherwise, I fear my gear won't get me down further than that.

Comment

Am too busy cussing you desert dwellers

Click image for larger version

Name:	E05F23C1-2E60-4257-A648-CC7B9C6AC88C.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	6.7 KB
ID:	70982

Comment

Saving up for the post holiday finances...
        ...Getting fat (er)...
        Shopping, unsuccessfully for deals on a camping stove and electric impact wrench.
        Mostly been frequenting the vehicle oriented forums...
        Planning Jeep mods and their scheduling versus disposable income flow... the next few mods (tires, suspension in 3-4 stages, tummy tuck etc.) will be somewhat expensive...
        ...doing a bit of nickel and dime junkyard shopping for the Explorer... replaced some worn (intermittent) switches and interior parts and installed some dual (4way?/2 flap) sun visors...
        Completed the air compressor in a can (for next summers four wheeling with a bit of camping).
        Got a 20 ton hydraulic press, on sale, for the garage.
        ...Keeping my head down and staying out of trouble... (mostly)...

Enjoy!
        Last edited by Happy Joe; 12-31-2017, 10:06 AM.
        2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
        For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
        Ground tents work best for me, so far.
        Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

All the camping and RV forums seem to take a dive in cold weather.

Comment

I've been laying low and plotting 2018's camping possibilities (where to go, when, etc.).

The wife and I are going out camping in a few weeks (yes!) so I am in the early planning stage for this trip (mainly menu/food/cooking system----our gear/sleeping/clothing items are the usual stuff for this time of year). We're car camping....just the two of us...in winter....so we'll lux it up just a bit.

We'll be going to Pokagon State Park in the far NE part of IN. One campground loop stays open and it has a heated restroom/showers. The reason for the visit here is to do the iced toboggan run they have at Pokagon. The run is an iced metal track/flume, starting up the hill in a tower and it's a quarter mile long. Record speed 42mph (our best run last year-33mph)- as measured by radar as you get towards the end. Flashes your speed on a sign. It is a blast. Inexpensive to rent the wooden toboggans. Concession hut/warming area and fire pit on the walk back up from bottom (worst part is carrying toboggan back up the trail to the tower for another run-ferry service good idea). Highly recommend this park if you're in that area in the winter. Someone else's pic at the start from the tower:

Click image for larger version

Name:	view-from-the-top-of.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	70983 Link to the park:http://www.in.gov/dnr/parklake/4699.htm

I have one piece of newly acquired gear I'm excited to try out this trip. Better yet-it was wife approved!!! "Get it" was all I needed to hear. lol. It was also one of those "TP talks about" ebay 50% offish deals. Used/returned item and a previous yr model to boot-the new ones are out for preorder so it was heavily discounted. I've already inspected-looks like a one time use as the seller indicated. I did a couple of quick/easy mods and it should be ready/ok for winter camping duty...I hope.
            Can you tell I'm ready to go and get 2018 started? I hope it snows during our camp!!!! :yipi:
            Last edited by a65hoosier; 12-31-2017, 12:02 PM.
            2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
            Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
            Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
            Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
              All the camping and RV forums seem to take a dive in cold weather.
              Yep...not many seeking advice on a tent or camping stuff. It always slows this time of year. It's unfortunate because it would give new campers (maybe the first family camp trip) more time to ask questions, decide, price, and assemble a good set of gear/stuff to go camp this upcoming spring/summer/fall.

On the positive side...attendance at parks and campgrounds also takes a dive in cold weather. Whether you are camping or just out for a day hike, you'll generally encounter fewer people. Not to sound anti-social...but I like the complete quietness this time of year brings to my camping experience.
              Last edited by a65hoosier; 12-31-2017, 12:39 PM.
              Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
              Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
              Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by terasec View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6281[/ATTACH]
                That is cold. Minuses are never good.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by a65hoosier View Post
                  Not to sound anti-social...but I like the complete quietness this time of year brings to my camping experience.
                  I am anti-social (when I'm anywhere near the home base) and I'll usually jump at the chance to go camping - especially when there's a chance for snow. I never did like going out for New Years parties because it's amateur drunks on the road night, so I was going to go this weekend because I knew I wouldn't see anyone for three days. Then I saw the 3° forecasts for the overnights and that was the end of that.

Comment

Pfft... no camping for us, been averaging 10 to 20 below for us, and we have gotten about 2 feet of snow so far, so I'm just dreaming of summer camping adventures and trying to find the perfect tent for us to replace our broken one... while huddling under 14 blankets and sitting right next to the heating vent.... Brrrrrr.
                    Married to Longpants, Mom to Littlepants (9) and Tinypants (5). Love Camping in New England!

Comment

Originally posted by terasec View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6281[/ATTACH]
                      It isn't all that great here. Last week I had to wear my jacket in the morning but by the afternoon I really needed some shorts as it was getting a little warm in my jeans.
                      “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                      – E. B. White

Comment

Not camping yet. Spending this weekend getting the clipper in order for a long weekend trip in a few weeks. Going to a federal forest campground in Red Bluff. It's a bit different that most out here. It's right off the freeway with the river between. It has some sites with electrical hookups. Manicured lawns. Boat ramp. But, it has a couple nice trails that wander around a wildlife area. It makes for a nice "relax" location when the weather could be less than ideal - so I can go regardless.

Have trips planned most every month for this year. Already booked June. Will book July this month.
                        “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Money is keeping me homebound. The 80 degree temperatures have me dying to go camping right now! I'm able to scrape enough money together to send my sleeping bag in to "Rainy Pass Repair" to have it professionally cleaned and the loft restored. Hope it's worth it.

Comment

Same as everyone else. It's cold. But i have been looking at camping trailers......i really like the Grey Wolf 19RR. RV show is next week. I have been thinking of some camping mods, but i need to see what direction i will go. some personnel changes at work and a new opportunity may come up, but the money has to be there.
                            Link to trailer
                            https://cheyennecampingcenter.com/rv...9rr-toy-hauler
                            Nights camped in 2019: 24
                            Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                              I am anti-social (when I'm anywhere near the home base) and I'll usually jump at the chance to go camping - especially when there's a chance for snow. I never did like going out for New Years parties because it's amateur drunks on the road night, so I was going to go this weekend because I knew I wouldn't see anyone for three days. Then I saw the 3° forecasts for the overnights and that was the end of that.
                              I stay off the roads on NYE and out of campgrounds for summer holidays for same reason (I did have to walk back across the street last night from the neighbors-made it!!!). Sorry the weather didn't cooperate with your plans. The weather will eventually moderate...be ready to go!!!

In Indiana, this time of year is walk up camping only (no reservations). So I'm just monitoring the forecast for a weekend with "reasonable" winter temps (30's highs, 20's/teens lows), and I'll go when that opportunity presents itself. Snow would be a bonus (the last campout with snow for me was three years ago).

Outside right now it is minus 12, with a windchill of minus 30. That's dangerously cold...and there's no reason I ever need to be out in it camping (or out at all). My limit is the upper teens/20's for daytime highs. Below that...and it's not much fun being outside of the tent and everything camp chore-wise becomes much more difficult and slow.

Heck, I'm currently just trying to stay warm inside my house without overly enriching the power company.
                              Last edited by a65hoosier; 01-01-2018, 05:40 AM.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X