Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remote camping in/ around Prescott, Arizona?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote camping in/ around Prescott, Arizona?

When I say remote, I mean far enough away so that I do not hear people on their motorcycles, trucks, whatever. But not so far it takes half a tank of gas to get there.

I would prefer to be able to get there in my 2WD van... But not destroys it in the process...

Really enjoy remote camping away from everyone. Hiking in is hard when I need enough supplies for my two large dogs, water etc, for a few days, would prefer to be in my vehicle. I do have a 4WD truck that is in the middle of getting repaired.

Presently have been taking easy access washes, but hearing people tear down the roads and occasionally light offroaders rolling up on me is not so fun. Just want to be left alone for two or three days and reconnect with nature.

Any help/recommendations is greatly appreciated!

Re: Remote camping in/ around Prescott, Arizona?

One problem with you being able to get in some place in 2wd is that its easy for others to get in also. The places with some rough spots to get in tend to thin out the traffic to a degree. Same with being farther out.

I'm not famliar with the area right around Prescott with regards to places out in the NF. There may be some places to find the quiet you want. Do you have some National Forest maps? I found many interesting places by studying the maps and finding roads I hadnt been on before. Theres likely online resources. Google Earth can be good for finding things also.

Comment

Re: Remote camping in/ around Prescott, Arizona?

Originally posted by tundrawolf View Post
      When I say remote, I mean far enough away so that I do not hear people on their motorcycles, trucks, whatever. But not so far it takes half a tank of gas to get there.

I would prefer to be able to get there in my 2WD van... But not destroys it in the process...

Really enjoy remote camping away from everyone. Hiking in is hard when I need enough supplies for my two large dogs, water etc, for a few days, would prefer to be in my vehicle. I do have a 4WD truck that is in the middle of getting repaired.

Presently have been taking easy access washes, but hearing people tear down the roads and occasionally light offroaders rolling up on me is not so fun. Just want to be left alone for two or three days and reconnect with nature.

Any help/recommendations is greatly appreciated!
      I am sorry this post snuck through unnoticed. Prescott is a tough place to find a secluded spot because of the popularity. I have had some success using Google maps to find camping places. My advice would bw to go up in the middle of the week.
      “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
      – E. B. White

Comment

Working...
      X