Holiday deals 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holiday deals 2017

Well, the holiday flyers are starting to come out. Please post good deals on this thread.
    I found an Cabelas Alaskan guide cot on sale for $60 that I am going to pick up. I already have 1, dip the other will be a spare or the daughter. Glad there is one local, I will buy online and pick up later.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	15104495233441373218355.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	72995
    Nights camped in 2019: 24
    Nights camped in 2018: 24

Re: Holiday deals 2017

Not really a holiday deal, but Amazon has the Kelty Noah's Tarp 20 selling for $88.14 right now. Cheapest price I've seen. If you were ever considering one, grab it quick before the price jumps again.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012FCGPVS

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
      Not really a holiday deal, but Amazon has the Kelty Noah's Tarp 20 selling for $88.14 right now. Cheapest price I've seen. If you were ever considering one, grab it quick before the price jumps again.
      https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012FCGPVS
      Yowza! Good Price.

This is a very large tarp-~400 sq ft. Make sure you can utilize the amount of coverage it provides at your typical campsite. If not, then the smaller 12 or 16 foot may be better for your set-up. Also, if you've never set up and pitched a tarp this big...I def recommend a practice set-up before going "live". It's not overly difficult and you'll get better the more you do it. Watch YouTube vids first.

I checked your link Mac. Because I have Amazon Prime ( for some reason I assume)...I can actually get the 20 footer for $59.95 plus $7.59 shipping thru a vendor named "Exxcel Outdoors". I also, unfortunately, just recently purchased a Noah 20 from Campsaver (I paid right around these prices, a little more than I just saw---I'm not bummed). They DO jump around. But I just can't bite on the $68 price I just saw via Amazon Prime...even as an "extra/backup/etc.). Oohhhh, must get offline....lol.

I really like my Noah Tarps (my experience so far w the 12 and 16), esp for car camping. I haven't used the Noah 20 yet since I just got it and I generally move to the smaller tarps (12 and 16) as the weather turns cold and/or precipitous. I did spread it out after I got it to check it out and compare.

Differences from my 12 and 16 older versions. New color: Green, Old: Bronzish (The green color is new. I am hoping the darker green color will provide a darker shade from sun---we'll see. We may just glow a green alien color under it). New: Thicker PU coating-800mm compared to Old: 600mm I believe (but I have never had the Old version leak-properly pitched, water streams off). The new version has pockets at the corners to stow away guy lines, Old-no pockets. I'll prob stick with my carabiner clip method and not use the pockets.

Biggest diff? Kelty's new version uses "rings" to put the tarp poles into/onto on each main corner. The old version has "grommets" and then a large nylon loop at each corner which can be used as a third tie off point (which I do use sometimes since it allows me to really tie the tarp to the ground in windy conditions and when I might not be around if a pole fails/etc.). I haven't tried to see how my current tarp pole tip fits into the new "ring" version. My tarp poles may be too narrow at the top to prevent the ring from possible sliding off the tarp pole tip and then down the tarp pole. I may have use a large washer to prevent the "ring" from sliding. A consideration...but not a big deal.

Highly recommend the Noah. Good investment for us so far-few years, still going strong. One of the favorite pieces of gear-always goes with us. MacGvyer's link is a very good price for shade and rain protection over your tent, campsite, kitchen area, etc. Add a couple of 10 foot Cabelas adj poles (or trees if you got em), some cordage, and you've got great dry coverage.
      2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
      Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
      Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
      Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

I have an el cheapo 16x20 tarp but what I have used for years is 6 mil plastic sheeting. You can get it in clear or black and a 20x100 roll is $98. That’s five 20x20 tarps for $100. One negative is no grommets but you can install as many as you want and where you want. On a positive note you can cut different sizes to suit your needs. May not be as convenient as a tarp but sure is cheaper.

Comment

I went down and picked up the cot yesterday. I picked it up as soon as I walked in, good thing to. A guy came in and bought the rest about 15 minutes later. He was upset that they didn't have any more in stock. Said he drove 2.5 hours one way to get them. I thought, if that was the case, I would of ordered them online, and made sure I got what I needed before I wasted a trip.
          Anyways, I am not much on the camp pattern, but I think is a great cot. It came with the side organizer, which is an extra for the one I originally bought. Now if I can find a exped mega mat at REI's garage sale, my spare set up will be complete.
          Nights camped in 2019: 24
          Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Harbor Freight has a sale on plastic knockoff cases (3 sizes, fairly good quality)... until the end of the year... (with coupon
            https://www.harborfreight.com/see_new_products.html

Enjoy!
            Last edited by Happy Joe; 12-13-2017, 10:32 AM.
            2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
            For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
            Ground tents work best for me, so far.
            Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
              Harbor Freight has a sale on plastic knockoff cases (3 sizes, fairly good quality)... until the end of the year... (with coupon
              https://www.harborfreight.com/see_new_products.html
              They look nice - especially for the price. I love my Pelicans even though they've put a bit of a hurt on my bank account. But evidently I'm OCD as hell and can't break my routine. With the exception of a yellow case I bought just for a first aid kit, I can't even bring myself to buy a different color, much less a different style or brand.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	Pelican Cases Stack sm.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	70980
              Last edited by MacGyver; 12-14-2017, 05:16 AM.

Comment

..Like a Model T Ford; these come in any color you want...as long as it is black.
                Not certain these are going to be that good for me; trying hard to consolidate and reduce the size of the boxes; these are heavier and have a lot of wasted volume, for the handle, locking tabs etc..
                Got 2 of the 3800's (large size) we will see how packable they are in a Jeep come spring...

Enjoy!
                2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                Ground tents work best for me, so far.
                Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

I keep thinking about getting one for my camera gear. Then I look at all the camera bags I have already. Then I look at all the camera gear and then I realize I'd need 3 of the large to fit what goes in my big bag...

Haven't found any new camping gear this season. Think I need to get out more first.
                  “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Working...
                  X