Mueller State Park, Colorado?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mueller State Park, Colorado?

Starting to look at campsites in Colorado for next summer and wondered about Mueller State Park. I didn't find much on the forums so thought I'd ask if anyone had first hand knowledge. We're a big family, probably 11 of us will be traveling, and we sleep in one big tent and set up another to throw our bags in and to change clothes.

I know Mueller has some walk in sites but not sure how long a walk. We have lots of gear and some small childern. Not sure if you can only use a tent in the walk in sites?

It looks like a beautiful place but am looking for some specifics about the various sites, Are there tent pads that you have to stay on, how big are the sites, room for a couple tents? Would like some privacy as well.

Would appreciate any thoughts you can share.

Re: Mueller State Park, Colorado?

I'm way over here on the east coast and wish I had the means to check out Colorado camping. But I tried to do some research for you and, also like you, didn't come up with much for Mueller. But one thing you might have missed that I did catch from their website is that they limit their campsites to six people. To camp there, you'd have to split your group up, but, if the park map is to scale, it looks like you might be able to get a couple of sites that are close together - especially the walk-ins.

Comment

I avoid parks and commercial campgrounds: in favor of unpublished places that require a relatively substantial 4WD just to access the areas; so I'm afraid that I cant be much help.

Enjoy!
      2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
      For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
      Ground tents work best for me, so far.
      Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Have you checked Google Maps of the area? Here's a screenshot from the app "AllStays" on my phone. Hope it helps.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Mueller CG Info Pic.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	70970

Comment

Thank you for the help. Never think of Google maps, good idea. With such a large group, I've had to get two sites before. What we run into is if they have specific tent pads. Our tent is 11x20, not many pads that size. I'll keep digging and I appreciate the help. Just learned of a friend that has family in the area that is knowledgeable of that park so I hope to get good info.

Comment

I was at Mueller park in summer of 2016 and was at one of the walk in sites. Yes, tent or hammock camping only. I wish the path/road would allow to drop your stuff off and then park, but you have to walk everything in.

Not a bad walk-in for two grown adults and I guess it depends on the ages of the kids and how far down the path you have to walk.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the elevation is around 9,000 so for me who wasn't used to this elevation, the short walk up a hill, was much harder.

I did have an EXCELLENT ranger lead hike the next morning and highly encourage others to take advantage of this!

Last edited by Karla "with a k"; 01-23-2018, 04:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X