Tent Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tent Advice

Tents will typically add 10-degrees F to any sleeping system. See: Colin Fletcher, The Complete Walker.
    “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
    ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Ok so as an aside to this topic, tplife mentioned getting rid of the cot for an inflatable pad. I used the cot because I wanted a more comfortable option. How good are the pads?

Comment

Originally posted by ducman491 View Post
        Ok so as an aside to this topic, tplife mentioned getting rid of the cot for an inflatable pad. I used the cot because I wanted a more comfortable option. How good are the pads?
        I use a cot, exped mega mat, and a zero degree bag, and I have been fine. I think pad and bag are your biggest issues.
        Nights camped in 2019: 24
        Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

My sleeping bag is an older Wenzel flannel lined bag which was probably no more than a 30 degree bag when new. I'll be looking for a new reasonably priced 0-15 degree bag then maybe add the pad to the cot later. I just don't see a pad that will make sleeping on the ground comfortable enough and still being within budget.
          Last edited by ducman491; 11-09-2017, 06:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ducman491 View Post
            My sleeping bag is an older Wenzel flannel lined bag which was probably no more than a 30 degree bag when new. I'll be looking for a new reasonably priced 0-15 degree bag then maybe add the pad to the cot later. I just don't see a pad that will make sleeping on the ground comfortable enough and still being within budget.
            I have started using/testing a Klymit Insulated Static V Lite 4 season sleeping pads. My wife and I will be using them this weekend car camping/hiking-upper 20's predicted for overnights). R value of 4.4. Paired up with down quilts rated to 10 degrees for this trip. Both quilt and pad pack super small, very lightweight. I do not hit bottom laying on the pad...it's 2.5 inches inflated (you WILL bottom out if kneeling on it). For car camping, which we're doing, the small pack size of each of these may not seem a big factor...but it allows me to bring more firewood and other comforts (like the Luggable Loo for the spouse). We've used these for about a half dozen or so nights so far. I normally take my Therm-a-Rest Luxury MAP pads for cold weather camping...so this is a controlled "experiment".

I bought my Klymits from a drop via Massdrop at a good discount...but here's a link on Amazon (mine are 78" x 25 wide). About $80 (the prices jump up and down on these quite a bit).

LINK: https://www.amazon.com/Klymit-Insula.../dp/B00UW7LEOW

Klymit manufacturers other sized insulated pads from short to large/wide also.

There are other budget friendly solutions, especially if you have the storage/pack space on your trips. Egg crate, memory foam, wool blankets, etc. Being in a cot, it's important that you have some insulation under you. Your sleeping bag's insulation is compacted and will lose it's insulating qualities because it is crushed under you while sleeping. This leaves your pressure points hips/rear and shoulders to become cold spots as they push down into the cold tent air circulating under your cot.

Even a hard cell foam pad on top of your cot would be helpful (check online sites for Therma-a-Rest Ridge Rest Solite pads. R value 2.8. Campsaver irregulars, $20. https://www.campmor.com/c/thermarest...SABEgKI_vD_BwE
            2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
            Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
            Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
            Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Thank you Hoosier!

Comment

I use a tent in a tent for sleeping in colder weather, which for me is above freezing.

I use my smallest cabin tent (which is a four person Coleman pop up tent) and sleep inside it in a one person Kamprite stand alone tent with a rain fly attached. I also put reflective truck windshield pads between the netting and the rain fly of the one person tent, and one under all the bedding which also is on the sleeping pad normally on the Coleman cot others have mentioned. I put a double sleeping bag inside the smaller tent with the excess up on the sides. Keeps me warm, and keeps weather off my gear stowed in the bigger tent. Since I am eliminating the cot I'm not takiing up any more room than normal as the cot pad is flexible for stuffing in the vehicle versus inside the cot frame.
                Last edited by actad; 11-12-2017, 11:28 AM.
                - Laura
                Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

Working...
                X