Tent Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tent Repair

Need some help. I screwed up this past weekend and ended up slicing about a 6" long gash into the garage on my REI Kingdom 6. Basically I had my cooler tucked to tight under it and when I opened it the corner of the cooler created enough tension and had a sharp enough corner that it made a pretty clean cut right through one of the panels on the garage. Bonehead move!:( I called my local REI and they didn't have a local recommendation for tent repairs. They recommended Rainy Pass Repairs in Seattle. I call Rainy Pass and they quoted me $42 plus return shipping (I'm in Houston) over the phone. 3-4 weeks turnaround time. Being prime camping season down south the timeline bothers me more than the cost.

So to my question(s):
    1) Does anybody know of a reputable tent repair service in Houston area?
    or
    2) Any tips on tackling this repair myself? I'm assuming a bit of duct tape is not the go to move here!

Thanks!

Re: Tent Repair

look for local sail makers and repair shops,
    they they generally work with sails, they can sometimes do quick repairs of smaller items like tents, be ready to tell them its Nylon taffeta fabric (i think)

Comment

Originally posted by terasec View Post
      look for local sail makers and repair shops,
      they they generally work with sails, they can sometimes do quick repairs of smaller items like tents, be ready to tell them its Nylon taffeta fabric (i think)
      Good call on sail shops. Plenty of those in the area. Thanks for the quick reply.

Comment

Originally posted by maynard727 View Post
        I'm assuming a bit of duct tape is not the go to move here!
        I wouldn't use duct tape unless it was an emergency field repair. It tends to leave a sticky, hard to remove residue.

If the timeframe on having it permanently repaired by Rainy Pass impedes your upcoming camping plans, you can use any number of repair products from Gear Aid---either Tenacious Tape Clear or for Fabrics (they sell quite a few different types of repair tapes in different sizes). Follow the instructions regarding cleaning the surfaces, rounding the corners of the tape "patch", etc. It should work fairly well as even a semi-permanent repair (I have repairs using this tape that are going on 3 years old without any liftoff or peeling to the tape repair). Tenacious tape does not leave a sticky residue upon removal, so your permanent sewing repair (Rainy Pass) should go easy. This tenacious tape "temp" repair will allow you to continue camping until you are ready to mail the tent in for the permanent repair.
        2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
        Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
        Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
        Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Working...
        X