New Guy here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Guy here

hey gang, new guy here, My name is David...or as my nic says Mr David (I work at a school so that is what they call me lol)
    Well I noticed that there were some folks posting their trailers as work in progress, so I thought I would post mine or at least what I'm looking to do..
    I found a gentleman that sells these tents that fit right inside of a 5x8 trailer and I have enclosed a pic of said trailer project to give you an idea of what I want to do. I am curious to know if anyone has ever done something like this and would be willing to share some ideas? I have some ideas but I don't know if they would work. I need to have something that goes up and tears down fairly easy. I will be camping in the summer, not the winter....no rain for this dude lol, so weatherproofing is really not a concern. I already have the 5x8 utility trailer. The wife wants the gable roof in case we camp under a tree ( For ease I thought about going with a flat roof, she is probably right tho..shhhh don't tell her I said that lol) I want to keep it light weight, he used 1" conduit, I was thinking about 1.5" pvc. I am wondering if this is worth going thru...I'm not afraid to do the work I like diy projects....as long as they work. I could order the kit from him but then I would be spending around 14-1500. If I can spend half that I would be happy. I don't mean to sound rude, but there are no reviews or anything for this gentlemans product and I'm not trying to say anything negative, but that's a big chunk of change to drop at an unknown. This would be using 1.5" pvc frame and I'm not sure but possibly tarps for the skin. I don't want it to look like poop, so I would try to make it fit as well as possible. One of the train of thoughts I'm going with are making the walls individual panels that would be as an example 6Hx8L so I would get a 8x10 tarp and then use the excess to cover up where the panels meet. What are your thoughts? thank you
    Attached Files

Re: New Guy here

Hi David, I just saw this post. If it were me, trying to use canvas and pipe I would start with some wooden side walls, part way up. It gives you a firm surface and the room to store the rest of the parts in a partially enclosed area. Also PVC is not very structural in longer lengths. I would use conduit. Maybe look at the pre made corners that they sell for portable shelters like flea marketers use. Much stronger and makes set up and take down much easier. Now with that said. If you do not have an industrial sewing machine, and the ability to sew well, this will be a difficult project. Paying a pro to do the canvas fabrication will kill your budget. Just for fun and ideas, google Sheep wagons. I have seen a few built as campers and they are very cool. Not an easy thing to tow, but you might be able to adjust your plan to make part of it break down for towing. Good luck. Hope this isn't to late! LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Mr David View Post
      hey gang, new guy here, My name is David...or as my nic says Mr David (I work at a school so that is what they call me lol)
      Well I noticed that there were some folks posting their trailers as work in progress, so I thought I would post mine or at least what I'm looking to do..
      I found a gentleman that sells these tents that fit right inside of a 5x8 trailer and I have enclosed a pic of said trailer project to give you an idea of what I want to do. I am curious to know if anyone has ever done something like this and would be willing to share some ideas? I have some ideas but I don't know if they would work. I need to have something that goes up and tears down fairly easy. I will be camping in the summer, not the winter....no rain for this dude lol, so weatherproofing is really not a concern. I already have the 5x8 utility trailer. The wife wants the gable roof in case we camp under a tree ( For ease I thought about going with a flat roof, she is probably right tho..shhhh don't tell her I said that lol) I want to keep it light weight, he used 1" conduit, I was thinking about 1.5" pvc. I am wondering if this is worth going thru...I'm not afraid to do the work I like diy projects....as long as they work. I could order the kit from him but then I would be spending around 14-1500. If I can spend half that I would be happy. I don't mean to sound rude, but there are no reviews or anything for this gentlemans product and I'm not trying to say anything negative, but that's a big chunk of change to drop at an unknown. This would be using 1.5" pvc frame and I'm not sure but possibly tarps for the skin. I don't want it to look like poop, so I would try to make it fit as well as possible. One of the train of thoughts I'm going with are making the walls individual panels that would be as an example 6Hx8L so I would get a 8x10 tarp and then use the excess to cover up where the panels meet. What are your thoughts? thank you
      i have been thinking of the same for my 5x8
      do like the full tent you pic'd
      i have been thinking of building up sidewalls as a base, that can stay on the trailer, with collapsable/removable roof
      another option i have been considering is placing a pick up bed cap on the wooden sidewalls,
      still in the brainstorming stages myself

Comment

Originally posted by terasec View Post
        i have been thinking of the same for my 5x8
        do like the full tent you pic'd
        i have been thinking of building up sidewalls as a base, that can stay on the trailer, with collapsable/removable roof
        another option i have been considering is placing a pick up bed cap on the wooden sidewalls,
        still in the brainstorming stages myself
        I like the idea of using the hard walls and putting a truck cap on top. If you make the back wall a drop down tailgate with hinges, then you could easily use the trailer for other things when not camping. And have the ability to open the entire back side up for loading and unloading.
        “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
          I like the idea of using the hard walls and putting a truck cap on top. If you make the back wall a drop down tailgate with hinges, then you could easily use the trailer for other things when not camping. And have the ability to open the entire back side up for loading and unloading.
          yea, i cant dedicate my trailer to a camper as i still need it for hauling stuff,
          so whatever i come up with has to be removeable,
          have been leaning toward sidewalls with truck cap, taller the cap the better, junk yard by me has lots of caps for $60-$120

Comment

Another vote for conduit over PVC, along with the suggestion to use the fittings like they use at flea markets. As for the canvas and getting it sewn up, you might be able to find an old time shoe repair place to do the work for you at a fairly reasonable rate. They definitely have the heavy duty machines and, considering shoe repair isn't exactly a super thriving business these days, they might be willing to help you out to bring in the extra work. Cut the canvas to size and tack the seams yourself, meaning they only have to run the seams. I dunno... just a thought that might be worth checking out.
            Last edited by MacGyver; 11-30-2017, 02:01 PM.

Comment

I actually use the conduit and fittings for my tent. they work great. I would think pvc wouldn't hold up well with the weight of the canvas. Especially in the wind. Plus pvc fittings are sometimes looser or tighter than others and can/will break.
              “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
              – E. B. White

Comment

Looks like Mr David has gone missing. I wonder if he has proceeded with his project. Hope he comes back and fills us in, now that this post was noticed.

Comment

Another run-by.
                  2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Mormon View Post
                    Another run-by.
                    Well his post went un answered for almost a month. That can discourage a guy.

Comment

This is not a high volume forum, for sure.
                      2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Mormon View Post
                        This is not a high volume forum, for sure.
                        Irate....have you not read one of my long replies/posts? I'm doing my best to increase the volume. :he::he::he:
                        2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
                        Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
                        Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
                        Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

COME BACK, MR. DAVID!
                          How's that for volume?

Comment

Hey, do you mind keeping it down out there, some of us are trying to sleep here...
                            “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

... (sound of crickets chirping) ...
                              2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                              For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                              Ground tents work best for me, so far.
                              Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Working...
                              X