keep tent warm enough in the backyard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• keep tent warm enough in the backyard

A long story short... For health reason, I can't sleep in the house. I would like to sleep in the backyard. In my area, the low at night is about 50. But it seems a lot colder. I have sleeping pad, so my primary concern is temperature.

Is there a way for me to sleep comfortably and safely in a small tent? I've considered electric blanket, but worry about its health effect.

Re: keep tent warm enough in the backyard

Not sure how an electric blanket would be unhealthy, but my son used to sleep outside in a tent all the time, in weather lots colder than that. With plenty of comforters you should be fine. I'm not a cold weather camper myself so YMMV.
    2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Lows of 50 should be fine
      i tent in colder temps
      and have camped with my son as low as 40 degree temps since he was 6
      he was fine with a 20 degree bag
      you could get 30-40 degree bags for cheap
      but since its your backyard blankets should be fine
      include an extra blanket below you and proper sleep gear
      based on your name if your near boston this time of year its much colder than 50 degrees at night
      50 lows you should be fine but if your near boston need to go more in depth on cold weather sleeping

Comment

Without knowing what prevents you from sleeping indoors, it's difficult to offer suggestions on keeping a tent warm.

An electric heater could be the answer unless the heated air is an issue. Since you're concerned with the health effects of an electric blanket, then an electric heater may have the same concern for you.

Also, rain may be an issue. Will the tent be placed under something or out in the elements.

Have you considered building a lean-to to provide 3-wall protection from the elements? Then a simple tarp for the fourth wall would give you a more protected shelter while still "open" like a tent. Using an electric heater in there would be pretty simple. You could build a nook for the heater so it is away from your bedding during the night. And you could run the electrical properly through weather-proof conduit.

For me, the cold would be the easiest thing to handle. The rain and wind would be of bigger concern. Especially since this would be a longterm sleeping system.

And what happens if you're sick. Will you be able to get up in the night and go inside if you're down with the flu, etc.? I'm thinking of bathroom needs when it is an immediate need and you have to get out of the small tent and through the rain and wind to get to the house.

Maybe a screened porch off the back of the house would be a better option.
        “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

This is a weird thread.
          “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
          – E. B. White

Comment

Yeah, I suspect he isn't coming back. He indicated it was health reasons, but I wonder if it is more mental health reasons. I've heard that a lot of ex-service folks have problems sleeping indoors and/or small enclosed spaces.
            “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Get a LARGE stone - or two or three not so large ones.

Build a fire - put stones in fire and keep fire going a few hours.
              Dig stones out of fire with a small shovel, rake or some other tool.
              Maneuver stone(s) into one or more metal buckets (galvanized garden bucket works but paint cans could as well)

Place a piece of thick lumber (or two or three short pieces of 2X4 pushed together) on floor of tent. Put bucket with stones on that lumber.
              Go to sleep.
              If it's really cold have additional stones in fire and get up in middle of night and refresh fire and swap stones.

Comment

He forgot his wife's birthday

Comment

Originally posted by michelliot View Post
                  He forgot his wife's birthday
                  :lol:
                  “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                  – E. B. White

Comment

Working...
                  X