Comment

Re: Dispersed Camping

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
      road vehicle maps but still dont see reference to primitive camping

Comment

Originally posted by terasec View Post
        I could be wrong, but I gather that these are the roads where you're allowed to jump out and set up camp. Can't say I'm an expert on dispersed camping... like I said before, Maryland (being the uptight state that it is) doesn't allow dispersed camping.

Comment

From the posted link, decide what national forest you want. The avenza app is awesome, ad you can put it on your phone and you don't need service to use it. The Avenza app is highlighted in red. If you want the MVUM, select the one in blue. Dispersed camping is allowed on roads worth the doors on epithet side of the road. They look like semi colons. I habe attached pictures to help. If there is no semi colons, them np dispersed cat camping isn't allowed.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20171117-174725.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	70976Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20171117-175425.jpg
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	70977Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20171117-174831.jpg
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	70978
          Nights camped in 2019: 24
          Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Say you wanted to camp at a lake in the Coconino national forest and you have the Avenza app installed on your phone. You want to camp next to a lake. Long lake looks like a good one to go for. You can camp on 9724D or 9716R, but not 9719P. See the difference?Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20171117-181435.jpg
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	70979

Comment

Great YouTube video on finding dispersed camping sites using Avenza app, mvum`s and Google earth. That's how I found my sites.
              https://youtu.be/F-kIvwn34IU

Comment

I could be wrong, but I gather that these are the roads where you're allowed to jump out and set up camp. Can't say I'm an expert on dispersed camping... like I said before, Maryland (being the uptight state that it is) doesn't allow dispersed camping.
                us eastern folks dont have much national forests to play in so not familiar with regs
                still curious though
                here in state forest its a matter of knowing regs
                state forest can camp 150 ft from road or trail just about anywhere in state forest
                within 150 ft then only designated primitive camp sites that have a fire pit and designated camp here disk
                those designated primitive sites at least something similar for nat forest is what im wondering if map in question is reffering to.

Comment

Originally posted by terasec View Post
                  Yeah, that is pretty much it. There are some restrictions about camping near watering holes, streams and lakes but if you are near a road you are usually good.

There was one time that I got to a new spot and found that the road I was planing on finding a spot was posted as campground camping only. That sucked.
                  “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                  – E. B. White

Comment

Thanks for the information.

Comment

We have a small piece of property in the Adirondack mountains for camping with a spring fed brook and a nice tent site.

Comment

Map options are different now, I used to buy the paper maps for the National Forests I wanted to learn about in Az and the mountain west, and sometimes topographic maps. Many trails are on National Forest maps also. In general besides the proximity to water sources and developed campgrounds, one can camp about anywhere that vehicles are allowed, or walk in nearly anywhere unless seasonal or fire restrictions apply.

If camping for a time, leaving camp hasnt been too much of an issue, I tend to hang around camp much of the time, or take short hikes. If gone out of sight or worried, I put the most expensive gear in the vehicle.

Comment

Working...
                        X