Dispersed Camping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dispersed Camping

There’s a sticky on dispersed camping, but it doesn’t explain how to find and identify them. I could use some tips on that please.

Re: Dispersed Camping

Aaaah, how to find a campsite. The most difficult part of dispersed camping.

The tricks I've heard are:

Talk to local rangers - they know the nice spots and they know the party spots that are ruined by idiots.

Take some day trips and scout out some potential sites.

Just drive until you get stuck or it gets dark and then pull over.

I've only done the third, but it ended up being a really nice spot.
    “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

The first rule that I know of is to make sure dispersed camping is allowed in a given area. I know that so well because there is no dispersed camping in Maryland. Dammit.
      But TT is right - once you find out it's legal, just drive until you find a spot that says, "That's it!" Flat enough for the tent, enough trees for shade and/or attaching tarps and hammocks, a nice view, proximity to activities you want to do, etc.

Comment

...Then after you find a great place; don't tell about it or share its location (most especially don't build/leave a fire ring or wood pile that says "party here")... or the Idjuts will move in and trash the area.
        I tend to ride, (approved) moderate to difficult Jeep/4WD required trails near running water looking for likely, out of the way, spots.

Enjoy!
        2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
        For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
        Ground tents work best for me, so far.
        Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

dispersed camping is just a term for backwoods camping, others use terms like primitive camping,
          to find dispersed camping spots first need to know land designations and rules/regs for that area, such as state forest, state lands, preservation areas, wildlife management areas, national forests, national park, etc
          once you know the land designation need to know who/what agency regulates that area,
          once you learn the rules/regs matter of getting out and exploring,

Comment

Sounds like one of those learn as you go things. I'll have to ask various rangers and go to various visitor centers. I thought the spots would be marked by some kind of fire ring. I've seen too many places with piles of trash. Always pisses me off when I see that. Thanks everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by sailmike View Post
              Sounds like one of those learn as you go things. I'll have to ask various rangers and go to various visitor centers. I thought the spots would be marked by some kind of fire ring. I've seen too many places with piles of trash. Always pisses me off when I see that. Thanks everyone!
              depends on location
              here rules for primitive dispersed camping is you must camp 150' away from a trail or waterway,
              only campsites allowed within such distance are designated campsites with "camp here" disk,
              dispersed camping can mean backwoods camping making your own site, or can mean using existing designated primitive campsites which is just a clearing and fire ring,
              can often find these designated primitive campsites along common trails and along lake shores
              by here i am referring to NY rules, every state and agency will have somewhat different rules,
              out west you have more federal lands which is different than our state land regs

Comment

Also remember that in many places you need to get a permit to have any fire outside of a designated campground.

As you're in California, you'll find the NFS (National Forest Service) lands offer dispersed camping. However, you may not be allowed to have any fire or anything other than a gas flame depending on the fire restrictions. Generally, NFS allows dispersed camping (also known as boondocking for folks with RVs) within 100 ft of a road.

You can also try BLM lands. There are more of those on the Eastern side of the Sierras. Lots of possible places along 395 near Mono Lake, Bodie, etc.

Off season you'll have more places and hopefully no fire restrictions. High summer, you might have to work harder to find a good spot.

Oh, and you can check freecampsites.com - they do offer some ideas.
                “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Lots of good advice here! Thank you! Might be a good idea to make this thread a sticky?

Comment

I only do dispersed camping. Check the rules for whatever forest or BLM land you are thinking of going to and then use Google Maps and Google Earth to scout out locations. I am in Arizona and like to camp in areas where there are trees and by water if possible. So I turn on the satellite view and look for green (trees) then zoom in a little and turn on the map view and look for blue (rivers and lakes) then see if I there are roads to get to them and often you can even see if there is a clearing to make camp. Then I will find a couple spots that look promising in the same area (just in case one or two don't pan out or are taken)

I have had excellent luck doing this. Just remember to pack out more than you packed in.

As an example here is a link to the rules for dispersed camping in the Coconino National Forest here in AZ.

You can find national forests near you here.
                    “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                    – E. B. White

Comment

I'm intrigued by dispersed camping but have never done it. The reason? Security. If you're base camping for several days (my preferred style), it seems as though leaving all your not-inexpensive camping gear lying around in the woods during the day unattended is just begging for it to be stolen. Of course, if you're camping for the night in your RTT and packing everything up in the morning, that's another matter. But that's not my thing.

Comment

For me, dispersed camping is beside whatever stream I find myself after a hard day's collecting. In the rare event someone actually sees my campsite, they just shrug and figure I'm hunting or something.
                        2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

I am surprised no one mentioned MVUM`s. When Bill Clinton was President he signed a rule stating that all National Forest Service, blm's and grasslands had to map all the roads and designate them. On these maps you can find out where dispersed camping is allowed and isn't allowed. They are all online under the u.s. forest Service website. It's a great place to start, you can do a lot of your leg work on these Maps. And then go out and Scout them in person.
                          Nights camped in 2019: 24
                          Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Originally posted by 05Kingquad700 View Post
                            I am surprised no one mentioned MVUM`s. When Bill Clinton was President he signed a rule stating that all National Forest Service, blm's and grasslands had to map all the roads and designate them. On these maps you can find out where dispersed camping is allowed and isn't allowed. They are all online under the u.s. forest Service website. It's a great place to start, you can do a lot of your leg work on these Maps. And then go out and Scout them in person.
                            I did not know this. Got a link?
                            “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                            – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by 05Kingquad700 View Post
                              i would also be interested in more info
                              all maps i have seen usually just display developed campgrounds, and some listing dedicated primitive campsites, dedicated primitive campsites are usually along common trails or along waterways. to allow people to primitive camp in sensitive areas while trying to minimize impact overall,
                              when i think primitive camping i am usually thinking backwoods pick your own spot clean up after yourself camping

Comment

Working...
                              X