Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How big a difference does R-Value in Pads make?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How big a difference does R-Value in Pads make?

I recently got back from a car camping trip to the artic circle in the Yukon. It was an awesome and stunningly beautiful trip. Some questions were raised regarding the sleep setup I use. Currently, I use a Therm-A-Rest NeoAir XLite, which has an R-value of 3.2 with a 15 degree F Big Agnes bag. On very cold nights (below freezing temperatures) I add a moving blanket underneath with up to 5 regular blankets wrapped around the sleeping bag. My question is, how big a difference would a sleeping pad with an R-value of 5.7 make compared to 3.2? I'm also wondering about some of those technical blankets. Could one tech blanket take the place of 5 regular blankets?

Thanks a lot,
    Mike

Re: How big a difference does R-Value in Pads make?

As you know, the higher the R value the better. My exped mega mat had an R value of 9.7. Yes, they cost 230 new, but i have seen them st REI garage sales for $60. You just have to read the tag to see why they were returned. Look for one that says not comfortable, or missing a valve. That's code for"we just wanted to rent the equipment, not buy it"
    Also a Grabber all weather blanket can be used underneath you, to reflect your body heat. But it will add a little bit of noise to your bed.
    Nights camped in 2019: 24
    Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

first thing that stands out is a 15 degree bag in the arctic
      temp rating of bags is to keep you alive up down to those temps, does not mean it will keep you warm and comfortable at those temps,
      before looking at r rating of pads, would look for a -20 or 0 degree bag for freezing temps
      for a pad i use scrap flooring inderlayment that only has like a 2 r value
      never a problem

Click image for larger version

Name:	E5B9D252-B452-4E3A-B546-6FACCDA5558B.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	14.4 KB
ID:	70870

Comment

Originally posted by terasec View Post
        temp rating of bags is to keep you alive up down to those temps, does not mean it will keep you warm and comfortable at those temps
        That seems to be a common misconception about temperature ratings. While it's impossible to account for every individual's comfort level, sleeping bags are rated to keep what I guess could be called "the average person" comfortable at a given temperature. A couple of articles here:
        http://www.smart-camping-guide.com/s...g-ratings.html
        http://themercurial.com/how-to-choos...ing-explained/

Comment

I know the temperature ratings of sleeping bags have to be taken with a grain of salt. I just want to know how big a difference the R value of the sleeping pad makes. I don’t have a lot of money so I’m trying to figure out which piece of equipment is best to upgrade first. A salesman at REI said an R value of 2 points does make a huge difference.

Comment

I would think the answer to your question about the difference in R-values would be obvious. Higher number = better insulation. If you're talking about another trip to the Yukon, or any trip where it's seriously cold, I think a higher rated pad should be your focus. In really extreme cold, it's fairly common to use both a self-inflating pad along with a cheap closed cell foam pad. Wrapping up in blankets would be cheaper but they'll compress from your body weight so that they wouldn't give you the R-value that a good pad does.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
              Higher number = better insulation. If you're talking about another trip to the Yukon, or any trip where it's seriously cold, I think a higher rated pad should be your focus. In really extreme cold, it's fairly common to use both a self-inflating pad along with a cheap closed cell foam pad.
              Yep. This is what I do.

For winter/below freezing temp camping, I use a Therm-a-Rest RidgeRest SOLite pad (R value 2.8, about $40) under my Therm-a-Rest Luxury MAP self-inflating pad (R value 6.8, about $110). R values are cumulative, so I sleep on a system with a total R value of 9.6...similar to Kingquad's exped mega's R rating. With a REI down bag (28 degree) and a Sea to Summit Xtreme bag liner and wearing a puffy coat, proper pant/socks, etc...I've been down into the high single digits and slept good (getting out of your sleep system at those temps in the am is always difficult. lol.) I've now moved from my REI bag to a EE Revelation down quilt rated at 10 degrees...mainly because the mummy bag makes me claustrophobic (I haven't used the quilt yet...trying it out this upcoming winter).

For summer/warm temp camping, I transition and use a Klymit insulated pad with an R value of 4.4. It works well at warmer temps and weighs about a pound/packs to the size of a nalgene.

For winter temps...I think you should shoot for a pad/or combination with an R rating of at least 5.0 or higher (the higher the better). 5.0 is consider thermal neutral. Less than that rating and you run the risk of having your pad pulling your body heat from you....regardless of your sleeping bag's temp rating.
              2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
              Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
              Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
              Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

ps...sailmike - Where are some pics of this epic adventure????
                Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
                Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
                Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Thanks everyone! A65hoosier, you’re right about getting up in the morning when it’s that cold! Lol! I often jump in the car and turn on the heater! But, I found that, if I’m warm enough and wearing long johns and heavy socks, then I have no problem.

I have over 350 photos from my trip! Lol! Do you have suggestions on how to post them? It was 11,293.5 miles of pure adventure!

Comment

Originally posted by sailmike View Post
                    Thanks everyone! A65hoosier, you’re right about getting up in the morning when it’s that cold! Lol! I often jump in the car and turn on the heater! But, I found that, if I’m warm enough and wearing long johns and heavy socks, then I have no problem.

I have over 350 photos from my trip! Lol! Do you have suggestions on how to post them? It was 11,293.5 miles of pure adventure!
                    I sortof figured you'd have a few pics.

You could post a link if you have them online somewhere, or post a few here on the forum. Here...I'd put them in the campsite photos section or better, start a new thread. I believe the limit on pics in a single post is 4, 5? (but you can do another post with a new set of pics).

idk how you narrow it down to capture that kind of adventure in less than 10-12 pics. Most all of us here are campers in one way, form or another....maybe some campsite pics...with scenic vista backdrops? Wildlife encounters? Your absolute favorite pics? It would be interesting to see and hear some tales from your travels.

sigpic

Comment

Alright, for those interested, I posted a "few" pictures from my trip to the artic circle. You can see them here:

http://www.campingforums.com/forum/s...c-Circle/page2

Comment

Working...
                      X