Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Things that need to evolve in your camping gear;

Originally posted by James. View Post
    I have been thinking of getting a self inflating pad but I usually go with my dog that has (often) talon like claws. I am afraid of her putting a hole in it. How durable are they?
    IDK. Good question and it may vary depending on the denier of the pad's fabric...and how sharp are the dog's nails (and how careful you are using the gear)

This summer I've been taking my dog and using Therm-a-Rest Luxury MAP pads. These have 50 denier polyester fabric on top and 75d polyester fabric on bottom. She has not been able to damage them with her claws over 15 nights or so. So I think they are fairly durable. Then again...I also try to keep her off of them (yea, she walks on them entering/exiting the tent, but she doesn't use one sleeping). She has a closed cell foam pad that she sleeps on.

I also have Klymit Insulated V Ultra-light insulated pads which have only 20d polyester fabric (they also weigh much much less and pack very small). I haven't taken these out with the dog car camping because I am afraid she may damage them due to the thinner fabric. Since it's only car camping with her right now...taking the larger/heavier Thermarest MAP isn't a big deal.

Eventually, I will have to test the Klymit's durability with her as I plan on using these on our backpacking trips next summer.
    2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
    Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
    Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
    Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Here's a guy testing some inflatable pads:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQiuuXkTIp0

Comment

That video is interesting. Not sure about the rocks and sticks test - I would think they would level out a bit with the way they were stacked. Issue with dogs is that they will do the circle dance - digging in with their claws as they do - before actually lying on it. That claw action will end up more like the sledding downhill test as the claws will pull as they dig. None of the mattresses passed that test.
        “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Working...
        X