Things that need to evolve in your camping gear;

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Things that need to evolve in your camping gear;

Hopefully everyone has gotten a few good trips in so far this year.
    What changes do you plan to make over the upcoming off season to upgrade (evolve) your setup, including vehicle, for next year?

My top planned changes (some awaiting resolution from past years are;
    Get a good, small, powered Bluetooth speaker (I'm seriously room challenged when packing up the Jeep)... perhaps Santa can help...
    Fabricate a water can carrier, inside the Jeep.
    Add an actual oil pressure gauge in the Jeep (found out that the Jeep "gauge is really an idiot light with a needle, pretending to be a gauge).
    Finish up the tent awning (back burner project for the last several years)yet keep it small enough to not impact the room in the Jeep.
    Get some rear recovery points installed on the Jeep (and Explorer).

Back burner project; pressurize the water carries for running water in the tent...

enjoy!
    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Re: Things that need to evolve in your camping gear;

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
    What changes do you plan to make over the upcoming off season to upgrade (evolve) your setup, including vehicle, for next year?
    What?!?!?!? Off season? Is that a new camping season outside of Spring/Summer/Fall/Winter?

Seriously, I go year round so some of my gear upgrade/evolution will be getting their first hard/thorough tryout of the year, other upgrades/items will have to wait until the appropriate season comes round again. I also upgraded quite a few things last winter/spring so I don't have alot of "stuff" that needs upgrading---I'm still messing around and learning how to use the new stuff. Some things:

I am looking forward this fall/winter to trying out a 10 degree Enlightened Equipment Revelation down quilt I got this summer (haven't used it yet). I hate the tightness of my down mummy bag and I am hoping that switching to a quilt will provide me some tossin and turnin room.

Likewise, I picked up 2 Klymit Insulated Static V air mattresses on very good sale. These will be getting their first test with me shortly. 4.4 R value and just over a pound in weight, little bigger than a nalgene packed. These are in the gear line up to take on backpack trips (along with the quilt). For car camping, I take my trusty Thermarest Luxury MAP self inflating pad---comfortable as all get out, but they don't roll down very small and weigh quite a bit. If the Klymit's are comfortable (and warm), they may make some appearances during car camp trips since they pack down so small (allowing me to take something else to fill the previous Thermarest space in the SUV). We'll see how the Klymit's are for overnight comfort. My daughter tried one out for an overnight and indicated that it was "great" (good thumbs up....but sleeping comfort is a very personal and subjective subject).

I did grab a Kelty Noah's Tarp 20 just recently at 40% off. This will probably wait unused on the gear shelf until Spring/Summer 2018. But oh the additional shade and rain protection I will have over my 16 footer. Won't be able to use the 20 on every trip due to site limitations....but I have a few sites I go to every year where a 20 footer will be ideal. Still must measure, pre-tie, and prep my guy lines for this big boy---that will be a an indoor project when the weather is nasty outside.

I do need to upgrade my backpack so I can better utilize some of my lighter weight/smaller size gear on backpacking trips (probably with my dog-lol). My current pack is a no name pack---I've had for years...it's not very comfortable and not the most functional/easiest thing to pack/carry. I still have mucho research to do before I upgrade this item. Also, not really anticipating a need until Spring/Summer 2018.

More urgently, I still need to outfit my dog Willa with a coat for cooler/cold hiking/camping trips she'll be going on with me over the next few months. I have it narrowed down...just need to pick a color, pull the trigger and get it ordered. I have a couple of other items I need to get for her (her own pack for example)...but I need her to mature/grow bit more before we start training her to carry.

Lastly....no changes to the vehicle as it is ready to go. I added the hitch mounted storage rack this past spring and it is working out fine. Might want to rig up some sort of mechanic's dolly to help me slide and position it into the hitch by myself. It is just too big, awkward, and heavy to make it an easy solo slide into the hitch (gotta have help right now).
    2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
    Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
    Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
    Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

The only off season I know of just ended - I refuse to go camping when it's so hot you don't even feel like walking. We're having a bit of Indian summer right now, but the last couple of weeks have made it clear that Fall is right around the corner. Cooler mornings, leaves just starting to turn and the Canadian geese are starting to move.

SO... I'm putting the finishing touches on my wheeled solar cart and I guess you could call the addition of a couple more Pelican cases an upgrade. Everything is now sorted, packed and ready to be thrown in the truck at a moment's notice

Comment

I have 2 wood burning stoves that I want to make and convert a storage tote into an ice chest.
        “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
        – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by a65hoosier View Post
          What?!?!?!? Off season? Is that a new camping season outside of Spring/Summer/Fall/Winter?
          For me the off season is when the snow gets too deep to safely wheel to the trailhead/camping area in a prepped 4X4 (Its a real bear to find firewood in knee to thigh deep snow). When the cold gets too bad to safely camp, its also not fun anymore... Turned into a fair weather camper some years ago... stopped punishing myself when I had to keep the beer in the sleeping bag to keep it from freezing...

I suppose "off season", like most things. is subjective...

I much prefer warm camping; if it gets too hot just go up the mountain another thousand feet or so...
          Desert camping is a spring/fall thing for me ('though it can get surprisingly cold).

Enjoy!
          Last edited by Happy Joe; 09-21-2017, 08:26 AM.
          2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
          For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
          Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
            For me the off season is when the snow gets too deep to safely wheel to the trailhead/camping area in a prepped 4X4 (Its a real bear to find firewood in knee to thigh deep snow). When the cold gets too bad to safely camp, its also not fun anymore... Turned into a fair weather camper some years ago... stopped punishing myself when I had to keep the beer in the sleeping bag to keep it from freezing...

I suppose "off season", like most things. is subjective...

I much prefer warm camping; if it gets too hot just go up the mountain another thousand feet or so...
            Desert camping is a spring/fall thing for me ('though it can get surprisingly cold).

Enjoy!
            I'm just teasing around with you HJ. I know you're up in mountain terrain and that means snow (deep snow)/winds/etc which hinders or completely negates the ability to reach a camp safely. Even if you can get to a site, the ability to do much once there is probably limited. No one likes post holing to get around or spending the entire time in the tent.

I keep trying to actually match up a good winter storm and free time to camp. I've tried the last couple of years. It's either...the snow flies midweek (altho we haven't gotten much snow the past few years) or it comes on a weekend when I can't get out. So much of my winter camping the past few years has been cold temps and just a dusting of snow. I think I go out just to get away and satisfy the camp "itch". I've got the appropriate cold weather gear, might as well use it.

I do camp in the summer...more out of family necessity than preference of the summer season. I agree with Mac and you here---(hot, bugs, crowded). But, with my son being middle school age and involved with Spring/Fall soccer, the opportunities for family camps are greater during the "hot" season. There is no higher elevation here in Indiana to climb to and avoid the heat-lol. I can see once he stops going along that I will migrate more of my camp time to Spring and Fall.
            Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
            Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
            Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

I hear you; lived and camped for many years in Iowa, Illinois & surrounding states with not particularly pleasant weather...and mosquito vampires that could almost carry a person off.
              Picked a friend up at the airport, one summer, (just in from Panama ) and asked him which was more uncomfortable in the summer Panama or Iowa; there was no question in his mind that Iowa had worse heat & humidity...

Was actually so impressed with the weather & lack of bugs here in Colorado (on my way to Kalifornia) that I just stayed. The changing global weather seems to be moving the weather more towards the old hot, Midwestern pattern though much drier this last summer.

Enjoy!
              Last edited by Happy Joe; 09-21-2017, 02:16 PM.

Comment

I try to camp year round. I hit the mountain campgrounds in summer and the foothills in the fall, winter and spring. Works well as the mountain sites don't get the summer partyers like the foothills do in summer.

I need to see about a new fuel tank, plus do some repair work. Maybe I'll be able to put in the flooring at some point.
                “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

I am not altogether happy with my cooking system. Looking to get a UL wood-fired stove like a Bushbuddy or something. Really, anything to decrease the mechanical complexity of my gear is desirable.
                  2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Another upgrade - one that goes against my mantra of get-smaller-stuff-so-you-can-take-more-out. Electric Hickman has been replaced with the compact blower from Ryobi. I expected it to blow some air - what I got really surprised me. This thing is actually strong enough that I'll be using it clear the leaves from around the fire ring in the Fall. An amazing little gadget that will also be sure to kick up some serious flames.

Click the pic if you're interested in adding it to your collection

Comment

For motorcycle camping, I traded out the air mattress for a cot and self-inflating, insulated pad. Definitely a big difference in space. Hoping it'll be as comfortable. Also got a lower temperature rated sleeping bag with a compression sack. Taking it all on an overnight this weekend to find out if it was worth the expense.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                        Another upgrade - one that goes against my mantra of get-smaller-stuff-so-you-can-take-more-out. Electric Hickman has been replaced with the compact blower from Ryobi. I expected it to blow some air - what I got really surprised me. This thing is actually strong enough that I'll be using it clear the leaves from around the fire ring in the Fall. An amazing little gadget that will also be sure to kick up some serious flames.

Click the pic if you're interested in adding it to your collection

Nice! 160mph winds. lololol....remind me not to be across the campfire when you turn that beast on. It should be great for clearing out the firering/surrounding area. I'm sure you'll find other uses (maybe cleaning out debris from inside of the tent?).
                        Last edited by a65hoosier; 09-29-2017, 09:32 AM.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RandiZ View Post
                          For motorcycle camping, I traded out the air mattress for a cot and self-inflating, insulated pad. Definitely a big difference in space. Hoping it'll be as comfortable. Also got a lower temperature rated sleeping bag with a compression sack. Taking it all on an overnight this weekend to find out if it was worth the expense.
                          I switched from air mattresses to a self inflating pads several years back. It's been a good switch over for me/family. More comfortable...and much warmer sleep. And as you noted...takes up less packing space. Sounds like a good "shrinkage" of gear for you without reducing functionality (may be a net improvement in functionality for you as you've got limited space). Hopefully you find it comfortable also (which is what matters most). Report back with your experience and how your new gear performed. Have a great trip!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Mormon View Post
                            I am not altogether happy with my cooking system. Looking to get a UL wood-fired stove like a Bushbuddy or something. Really, anything to decrease the mechanical complexity of my gear is desirable.
                            Hey Irate - I'd be interested in hearing what you end up getting should you go to an UL wood-fired stove and why you went with that particular model. Quite a few choices out there now.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RandiZ View Post
                              Originally posted by a65hoosier View Post
                              I switched from air mattresses to a self inflating pads several years back. It's been a good switch over for me/family. More comfortable...and much warmer sleep. And as you noted...takes up less packing space. Sounds like a good "shrinkage" of gear for you without reducing functionality (may be a net improvement in functionality for you as you've got limited space). Hopefully you find it comfortable also (which is what matters most). Report back with your experience and how your new gear performed. Have a great trip!
                              I have been thinking of getting a self inflating pad but I usually go with my dog that has (often) talon like claws. I am afraid of her putting a hole in it. How durable are they?
                              “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                              – E. B. White

Comment

Working...
                              X