Rusty tent pegs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rusty tent pegs

The large tent pegs on my Kodiak canvas 10X10 are rusting badly. I have soaked them in vinegar and then coated with light oil a couple of times but it only takes one outing and they are rusting again. Anyone have good ideas on how to slow down the rust or reverse it?

Re: Rusty tent pegs

Personally I think those stock pegs are the only thing about the Kodiaks they should rethink. Zinc plating never lasts in an outdoor environment. That and I think they're needlessly large and hard to hammer in. Even if you don't care to go to my favorite replacement, the Spax screws, I would still recommend replacing them with something else.

Comment

Having dealt with rusty things four wheeling over the years, I usually get rid of as much rust as possible (wire wheel on a 4 or 4.5" grinder) then give it a good coat of primer and then a coat of appliance epoxy... at least when I cannot replace the item with something fabbed out of aluminum.

I have heard that there is a way to use electrolysis to remove rust but have never, seriously, tried it.

Enjoy!
      2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
      For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
      Ground tents work best for me, so far.
      Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
        ...give it a good coat of primer and then a coat of appliance epoxy...
        I can't speak for other parts of the country but, at least where I camp, even that wouldn't last. When Monk Industries was advertising here, I considered buying some of their coated stakes. Then I thought about all the rocks I was always hammering through... all the pegs I'd bent up over the years... and figured it would just be wasted money. Just about every site I've ever been in - in PA/MD/WV/VA - has been murder on tent pegs.

Comment

I agree nothing that I know of will survive rock/sand abrasion long term without damage; however epoxy pant will keep them looking better and help reduce longer term rust...Figure on recoating every season or two untill they need replacement
          I suppose that a person could fabricate some titanium stakes although considering the relative cost versus aluminum, it seems a bit impractical.

I did use some heavy epoxy coated rebar (concrete reinforcing bar) stakes quite successfully during a period using a GP medium military tent but even that coating was worn by abrasion.

My current pegs are a combination of quite large nails (to fit through canopy legs and ground tarp grommets); when they get too nasty I throw them out/give them away,when someone needs a few extra stakes, and formed aluminum military stakes with much of the paint worn off (haven't needed the Spax bolts; although I still think its a great idea) Commercial screw in pegs now seem to be on the market in Australia, and likely here in the US...
          https://peggypeg.com.au/
          https://hexpegs.com.au/about-our-tent-pegs/

Enjoy!
          Last edited by Happy Joe; 09-21-2017, 07:57 AM.
          2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
          For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
          Ground tents work best for me, so far.
          Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
            Commercial screw in pegs now seem to be on the market in Australia, and likely here in the US...
            Yeah - They are nice. But last time I priced those pegs here in the U.S., I think they were like $30 a pair with shipping. Not exactly cost effective when you need two dozen. I think I actually cussed at the monitor when I saw that. And that's what made me jump on the Spax when I saw them at Home Depot..

Comment

Rust can be removed with phosphoric acid as well. CLR and Naval Jelly both contain it IIRC. Really if it is a concern to you, then just rub them down with sandpaper and/or steel wool after every trip and then recoat with whatever oil you are using.
              2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

This last trip I did use steel wool (sos pads) after soaking in an automotive grade rust dissolve agent. I then gave them a light coat of oil and wiped down. They are sitting in their canvas bag in my bedroom closet now. Safe from the elements for the winter at least. This last year was season 5 for the Kodiak canvas tent and pegs so will see what year six brings next season. I don't own a cordless drill so have not jumped for the spax bolts just yet. Thanks all for the replies! This forum is so very helpful!

Comment

Working...
                X