Portable air conditioner in a tent for Texas summer camping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portable air conditioner in a tent for Texas summer camping

Anyone have experience using a portable air conditioner in a tent? Tent camping in the Texas Summer heat is unbearable. I've tried battery powered fans and they are some help, but the air is still hot. I realize that we would have to use a tent site with electrical hookups and the cost would be more.

Re: Portable air conditioner in a tent for Texas summer camping

I have been gone for a while so I’m just seeing this post. Do a search on YouTube for tent air conditioners and you can find many examples and reviews of tent cooling systems. To use an actual air conditioner you will have to cut your tent or buy a tent designed for an AC unit. Do not buy one of those freestanding units that have a hose out the back to expel the hot air. I tried to use one in a RV for additional cooling and and it barely reduced the temperature in a ~10x12 area that was much better insulated than any tent.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeN View Post
      Do not buy one of those freestanding units that have a hose out the back to expel the hot air. I tried to use one in a RV for additional cooling and and it barely reduced the temperature in a ~10x12 area that was much better insulated than any tent.
      I don't know what kind of unit you bought, but whatever I have (I've had it so long, I forget how many BTUs it is) did just fine in keeping my Kodiak cool. Not cold like in the house, but comfortable when it was 90° outside. Maybe my success was due to how I configured it. Instead of having the unit inside the tent, I created a cowling to go over the output and, keeping the unit outside, made a duct to go into the tent. That way it didn't have to overcome the heat generated by the unit itself. Unfortunately, it was just a backyard trial - I have no way to run it when actually camping (Yet ).

Comment

I did have the unit inside the RV but I wrapped the exhaust pipe in insulation and vented it to the outside of the RV. The air from the cooling vent was never very cold. I should have returned the unit but I was determined to make it work. My wife and daughters sometimes accuse me of being stubborn but I prefer to just say I am determined. However, if I ever decide to install an air conditioner in a tent I will buy a window unit and modify the tent to make it work. The small window units are much more efficient and I don’t think they would be that much harder to install. I suppose one could make one of the ice bucket coolers but all that ice could get expensive.

Comment

I jumped for a free standing air conditioner this year, 10,000 BTU at Lowes. I vented it out the back door of my Kodiak 10 X 10 and could take a nap in the afternoon and be comfortable the first week in July in Missouri! My granddaughter and I really appreciated being comfortable! I don't take it other times of the year like the last week in May or the Labor Day weekend as it is a large haul but I can load it by myself into the truck bed. I think they are making them better now than when they first started. I had trouble with the window unit fitting in the door previously but I know there are ways to make them fit. Just didn't want to cut into my nice canvas tent! Good luck!

Comment

Honeywell Portable Multipurpose AC
            Honeywell 10000 Btu Portable
            Check these two portable air conditioners.

Comment

I have experience using a portable air conditioner in a tent. I have bought the portable air conditioner for camping from camping from affordable mag.com they provide the best in quality air conditioner. You can buy air conditioner from then. Anyways these are the best sir conditioners

Comment

That depends. First consider your needs: What size room (or rooms) do you plan to cool? What is your budget? Are there any special features that you particularly want, like a remote control or a dehumidifier function?

Based on how you answer the above questions for choosing the best portable rv air conditioner, you'll be able to narrow down your options a bit more. What might be the best portable AC unit or brand for one person might not be the same for someone else. For this reason, we provide more than one portable air conditioner recommendation above.

Comment

Using a portable air conditioner in a Texas summer tent can be a lifesaver. Ensure you have access to electrical hookups at your campsite. Choose the right-sized unit for your tent, provide good ventilation, and consider insulation. Be mindful of condensation and noise levels. While it might add to your camping costs, the comfort during hot summers is worth it!

Comment

Working...
                  X