Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lomg commute so I will be camping in my truck. Need ideas.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lomg commute so I will be camping in my truck. Need ideas.

Hello,

First time posting. I recently got a new job that is around 100 miles away from my home. Before you ask no there are no jobs around me that have as good pay/benefits. Most of the jobs in my field are 1099 or have really crappy or no benefits. I will be working a 4/10 schedule. I plan on going down, staying a night, coming home after 2nd shift and going back for 3rd then coming home after the 4th for my 3 days off. I have a 4cyl double cab tacoma. I plan on getting one of these

https://www.etrailer.com/tents-2014_...2FCamper+Shell
    And an air mattress to sleep. I will get a couple of battery operated fan or possibly get a solar/rechargeable power pack. Any other recommendations for keeping cool? I will be working graveyards so my sleep will be during the day. There is a state park i can get a yearly pass for 120 bucks so i can park under some shade there

Thanks for any advice

Re: Lomg commute so I will be camping in my truck. Need ideas.

Have you considered a " tear drop " type of camper ? I plan to build my
    own simple version , already have a 5x10 foot single axel trailer so just
    going to do a very basic build with 4x8 plywood , 2x3 studs , not a curved
    roof but a flat roof with a 3 inch slope to the back for water run off , I like
    the idea of a mini camper because of no set up , just park , crash , and
    have your pickup as the kitchen , no fuss no muss just crawl out of the
    camper shut the door and roll .

Comment

Originally posted by Molonlabe80 View Post
      Hello,

First time posting. I recently got a new job that is around 100 miles away from my home. Before you ask no there are no jobs around me that have as good pay/benefits. Most of the jobs in my field are 1099 or have really crappy or no benefits. I will be working a 4/10 schedule. I plan on going down, staying a night, coming home after 2nd shift and going back for 3rd then coming home after the 4th for my 3 days off. I have a 4cyl double cab tacoma. I plan on getting one of these

https://www.etrailer.com/tents-2014_...2FCamper+Shell
      And an air mattress to sleep. I will get a couple of battery operated fan or possibly get a solar/rechargeable power pack. Any other recommendations for keeping cool? I will be working graveyards so my sleep will be during the day. There is a state park i can get a yearly pass for 120 bucks so i can park under some shade there

Thanks for any advice
      If you are still around I would look for somewhere that has power so you can plug in and not have to worry about batteries so much. That or if possible get a small class B motor home. They are basically glorified vans. That way you can stealth camp in town....heck, I know people that live in their vans full time. Gym membership for better showers. Just a thought.
      “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
      – E. B. White

Comment

It would help to know what part of the country you're in so we'd have some idea of the temperatures you'll be facing.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
          It would help to know what part of the country you're in so we'd have some idea of the temperatures you'll be facing.
          he posted in september and mentioned a fan, guessing down south somewhere

as for tent, if he's staying at a campground i would get a ground tent that can be left at the site so doesnt have to breakdown/setup every night/morning

Comment

Don't know how I missed this. I guess it's another one post wonder. I camped in my truck bed a good bit before switching to a hammock. Oh well.
            2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

You missed it because us new guys post are taking a long time to get posted due to the mod approving them. It took me several tries just to register and I would have gave up if it was not for the good group of helpful people here.

Comment

Working...
              X