• Show
Clear All

• Time to consolidate gear....

Click image for larger version

Name:	25 Camp LD 2017DSCF0282.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	72989
    Took the Jeep TJ camping this last weekend (Great trip; perfect weather, good people, excellent location...) and confirmed very quickly during packing that the gear pile is too big to fit into the vehicle. Had to leave the area rug, indoor fireplace, floor lamp and one tote of miscellaneous noncritical stuff behind. Even doing this the vehicle was pretty well packed tight. Soooo... consolidation is in order;
    By bulk the most space consuming items are the cot with foam pad,
    Having searched long and hard for a n adequate nights sleep this stays; but the thin foam pad can be replaced with the hospital egg-crate pad, effectively packing the two best pieces into the same space.

The hospital quality egg-crate mattress pad (roughly 16 inches in diameter and 30 inches wide, rolled)
    I will trim the edges so that it packs in place of (folds inside the cot) the much thinner foam pad that comes with the cot from Coleman.

And the stereo speakers...This one is easy I will spend (sigh) money on a smaller powered Bluetooth speaker, thus eliminating the current speakers, wires and amp; saving about a cubic foot of volume.

By doing these mods ; I will at least be able to see out the back window when packed...

I found packing that jeep had complicated the back seat mechanism making the seat much harder to remove and leaving pieces and seat belts that interfere with packing; I will remove these items (no use for a back seat in any case...).

Still need to find/make a compact effective tent heater preferably with a thermostat... the fall back plan is to use cans of gelled ethanol fake fireplace fuel for temporary/emergency heat...

The planned Cornelius keg water supply will not fit instead I will see about pressurizing the 10 liter Sceptre water carrier...

...thoughts?

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Happy Joe; 09-05-2017, 09:12 AM.
    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Re: Time to consolidate gear....

A suggestion for taking another chunk out of the bulk - the Byer Allagash Cot folds up to something around the size of a really fat umbrella. No, you don't get the height and storage underneath, but if you're in the tent in the picture by yourself, you won't need it. The only thing that really raises an eyebrow here is your plan to pressurize the plastic water container. Depending on how much pressure you need to put into it, I'd be concerned with the plastic weld giving out eventually. In any case, isn't reorganizing gear fun? This is chomping at the bit time for me. Weather is starting to cool down and the nights are getting campfire cool. Time to GO!

This is another timely post for me. I'd been consolidating for so long now, it got to the point where some of my Pelican cases got a bit too heavy for an aging back. So I kind of went to a different sort of distribution this year. I now have more cases of various sizes, each dedicated one thing. Electrical, clothes, kitchen, tools, etc. But surprisingly, they all jigsaw together nicely in the cab and in the bed of the truck that it doesn't seem to take up much more, if any, space than before. A lot of that is probably due to the Kodiak tent that used to take up a lot of space in the cab to keep it dry, now goes into a box with a couple of other things in the bed.

Comment

Just a thought ... , what about a army surplus jeep trailer or equivalent ,
      they are light weight , low and narrow / easy to trap , the only draw back
      of course is tabs and something to tow .

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
        A suggestion for taking another chunk out of the bulk - the Byer Allagash Cot folds up to something around the size of a really fat umbrella. No, you don't get the height and storage underneath, but if you're in the tent in the picture by yourself, you won't need it. The only thing that really raises an eyebrow here is your plan to pressurize the plastic water container. Depending on how much pressure you need to put into it, I'd be concerned with the plastic weld giving out eventually. In any case, isn't reorganizing gear fun? This is chomping at the bit time for me. Weather is starting to cool down and the nights are getting campfire cool. Time to GO!

This is another timely post for me. I'd been consolidating for so long now, it got to the point where some of my Pelican cases got a bit too heavy for an aging back. So I kind of went to a different sort of distribution this year. I now have more cases of various sizes, each dedicated one thing. Electrical, clothes, kitchen, tools, etc. But surprisingly, they all jigsaw together nicely in the cab and in the bed of the truck that it doesn't seem to take up much more, if any, space than before. A lot of that is probably due to the Kodiak tent that used to take up a lot of space in the cab to keep it dry, now goes into a box with a couple of other things in the bed.
        I've tried many different cots, mattresses etc. with varying results (mostly poor) so I think that I will stick with the sprung Coleman (with the hospital pad) though I really should do do a test nap.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tent inside LD 2017 50.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	70862Click image for larger version

Name:	tent stuff 50 DSCF0287.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	70863

Yep! consolidation is fun (kind of)...
        I did leave the second short tote at home and brought clothing in a canvass bag, which helped some.
        I need to go though the short tote that I did bring and sort it out again (the small First Aid Kit for example can be removed and Velcroed to a roll bar).
        Making enough room for the porch lights would solve a small packing awkwardness.

...so much of what we take is "Handy if..."
        I think I will switch the music memory chip to my primary phone (one less thing) and leave the DVM home along with the extra cooking pot and spices; the coffee need to switch from the cooking kit to somewhere far from the white gas (talk about a morning wake up! ..Nasty..)... If I haven't used it in 2 years it will get set aside...
        I think that I will take a canvass "Pilot's Bag" and see of some of the soft things like canopy cover and tarp will fit to make fewer separate things to handle...It also might make a good place for the ceiling light which is basically a round, awkward to pack, ball.

As far as pressurizing the Scepter water carrier I figure that I will limit it to 30 psi and maybe leave a couple of quarts/liters air space giving me roughly 2 gallons of water (usually I dump water on the fire pit before leaving the site so its mostly extra )...

Enjoy!
        Last edited by Happy Joe; 09-06-2017, 11:19 AM.
        2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
        For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
        Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

I have Happy Joe's cot, and it is hands down the best camping cot I've slept on. I would get rid of a lot of other things before it.
          - Laura
          Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

Yep! best camp sleeping that I have yet experienced (even better than at home sometimes) with both the Coleman foam pad and the hospital egg crate pad...
            Still need to do a test nap with only the egg crate pad (maybe this afternoon).

Enjoy!
            Last edited by Happy Joe; 09-07-2017, 07:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]6147[/ATTACH]

The planned Cornelius keg water supply will not fit instead I will see about pressurizing the 10 liter Sceptre water carrier...

...thoughts?

Enjoy!

Hey Happy Joe!

I can relate to consolidation. Or in my case...more of a reduction. Went from a 95 Explorer (which we packed full) to a 4 door mid sized sedan. It was either reduce...or skip camping. We reduced. We car camped like "luxury" backpackers.

Everything we normally took camping was evaluated...bring or not? If it was a "bring", we tried to reduce the size and/or weight of that item (tent, sleeping gear, chairs, tables, lighting...etc etc on and on. lol). The bring or not bring decisioning is full of difficulties...because there's always some luxury items and some "just in case" items that may not make the cut. Cutting is hard.

Many of my "bring" gear items have undergone a reduction in size. Another tough call filled with choices, because one hates to lose comfort, durability, etc. just to have a smaller "something" so it packs easier. And....it costs $$$ to replace/update gear....esp with smaller versions. Good stuff is out there...it takes time to find it on close out/clearance/etc.

Now....we're back to camping in an SUV and preventing some gear creep is difficult. lololololol

Also....regarding pressurizing your water carrier. Check out this guy at about 4:15 in. Looks about the same as what you are proposing (it looks like the same carrier). Using it for a pressurized shower (although he isn't using it here):

https://youtu.be/9dBlJ-SwbDU
              Last edited by a65hoosier; 09-07-2017, 04:58 PM. Reason: Orig link didn't work
              2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
              Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
              Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
              Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Yes, that is the same water carrier (they come in several colors and 2 sizes); Its good to know that they can be pressurized. ...looks like a common enough idea, its hard to come up with something that hasn't been done before.
                http://www.lexingtoncontainercompany...ater-Cans.html
                There is also a 5 gallon lookalike that is a bit lighter and usually cheaper, however the name/link escapes me at the moment.... Found it LCI/ Skilcraft;
                http://buylci.com/ItemDisplayF.aspx?...&ItemID=600409
                Note; I don't see a 2.5 gallon military carrier from LCI.

I can really identify with gear creep (its trying to start even during consolidation).

Enjoy!

Comment

I normally go through the clipper once a year and remove what wasn't used. I don't have a lot of storage space at my home, so what I use always stays in the clipper. That means the big pot I use twice a year for rallies is always there. For that reason, I have done some consolidations. Like the pot. I bought a big straight sided pan. I can use it as a large frying pan, a pot, and a skillet. It's not as tall as a regular pot, but because it is so big in diameter, I can still boil pasta and such.

Another thing I've done is use soft sided packing cubes for carrying stuff. With the soft cubes, I can squish and contort it to fit in awkward spaces. Works great for electrical cords, fabric items, junk drawer items, etc. So much better than the hard totes I used to use that always left a lot of empty air space.

For music, I have my Zunes. I have one docked in the cab for when I'm driving, one docked at the dinette for when I'm parked, and one loose that I use when hiking or outside. The first is hooked up to the car stereo, the second is set up with computer speakers and my wagan powerpack. I have headphones and 3 mini speakers for the third. (I also have a Zune at home by my bed, in the living room, in my daily vehicle, at my office, and a spare for whatever. Bought them on ebay straight from the factory for $30 each years back in fear of malfunction after I went through 3 mp3 players in a year. They all continue to work great!).

I do have an overabundence of towels, but I have found that towels are good to have extra of. So much better to be able to use towels for a leak than using your clothes or bedding.
                  “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

I am constantly reducing my car camping kit. A hammock replaces a lot of stuff, and more comfortably.
                    2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

I got myself a 5x8 enclosed cargo trailer to haul all my glamping gear. Problem solved for me !

Comment

Originally posted by Jopopsy View Post
                        I got myself a 5x8 enclosed cargo trailer to haul all my glamping gear. Problem solved for me !
                        I fear that I will end that way myself... Trying hard to avoid it (and the licensing & storage hassles) though.

Started removal of the rear shoulder belts, and remaining back seat mounting brackets, in the Jeep to make packing easier.
                        ...Looking at mounting a Jerry can holder, inside over one rear fender well to get the water carrier out of the way...

Gear creep is starting in earnest; started looking at the pole and tarp collection, last night, with an eye toward assembling an awning...

Enjoy!
                        Last edited by Happy Joe; 09-15-2017, 07:30 AM.

Comment

For a general purpose water bucket / sink and so on I have two
                          military collapsible water buckets , they work great for me .

Comment

Working...
                          X