Interior blackout tents ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior blackout tents ?

Haven't had a tent in a long time , happened to see a video about " blackout " and
    insulated tents , how cool I thought , thinking this would be good for sleeping a little
    later in the morning when the sun is out and 70 degrees outside . anybody have any
    experience with this " technology " ?

Re: Interior blackout tents ?

Bump

Comment

I'm an early riser myself, so about the closest that I have considered is vertical cot extenders to make a small tent inside the tent (like the tropical mosquito bar cots) for additional warmth in the mountains.
      5:00 am in the summer is sleeping in for me.

Enjoy!
      2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
      For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
      Ground tents work best for me, so far.
      Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Never would have thought of that , be really good for winter , ( for me )
        planing on building a tear drop type of camper , but sometimes just a
        tent will do , when I visit friends overnight , which is usually in the
        summer and sometimes up to 65 to 70 by 6 -7 o- clock in the morning
        so looking for a budget priced blackout / insulated against heat tent only will use it a few times a year .
        Last edited by JoeH; 11-15-2017, 11:15 AM.

Comment

The only reason nylon tents heat up is because the material is so thin and don't absorb sunlight. Short of buying a canvas tent which isn't really a budget item, I would recommend just buying a large light color tarp to reflect the sun. I noticed a big difference in shade and temperature when I started using gray and tan tarps over the more traditional blues and browns.

Comment

First off....don't own one and haven't seen one (but they are fairly new to market). Secondly...I'm kinda like Happy Joe in that I am "up before the dawn". Don't think I would buy one because I think there are better options that make sense over a wider variety of conditions.

From what I have seen of them online....I would be worried about structural integrity of these tents supporting any snow load in winter due to pole geometry. Yes...they are insulated...but they are also are fairly heavy/bulky to pack.

Don't know anything about the blackout tents. I think Coleman makes them. They are dark inside...not sure how warm they are inside when the rising sun hits them.

Thoughts:

1. How about one of those eye shade things? No morning light reaches your eyes. Doesn't due much to prevent the rising sun from warming the tent interior however. lol.

2. For summer mostly use, rather than buying an insulated tent to slow the warmth of the rising sun hitting the tent...perhaps a reflective blanket attached to a summer style (3 season) tent's rain fly would be a more cost effective solution? Place it over the Eastern side to reflect those early sun's rays. Likewise....move it to the Western side to reflect the setting sun's rays to keep the tent's interior cooler before it's time to settle down (just remember to move it to the Eastern side after the sun sets)...otherwise it's "Sun Sun Hello Mr Sun!!!!" the next morning...

3. Hang a tarp (9x9, 8x10, etc.) over your tent using 2 adj poles/hiking poles and some stakes/cordage (not hard to master basic tarp setup...really...all over Youtube). This provides you great flexibility to camp in various conditions, seasons, and even styles (backyard/friends, car or motorcycle camping, backpacking, etc.) as you go into the future camping. Additionally.....you could always remove the rainfly from your tent if you want (the tarp is over the tent protecting you from that unexpected 4am "rain shower")....and have both shade and rain protection AND plenty of ventilation on those warmer mornings. Also a cool place to hang out protected if it rains...dry boots/shoes/gear storage (not in the tent with you), and best of all...a dry/shaded area to set up or take down...not just when it is raining...but also if it is 90 degrees and the sun is blazing on your sunny site.

I'd find, or have, a good regular 3 season tent...and then only do the reflective blanket and/or the tarp whenever you have to pitch the tent in the sun (am or pm hitting it). If you can pitch it in a shady spot...then no need to reflect or tarp....enjoy a simple/quick tent pitch. A tarp set-up gives you lots of 3 season shade/protection options for your $$$.
            2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
            Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
            Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
            Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

ps....an investment in a tarp/adj poles/cordage will also provide you some great outdoor dry space for your future teardrop (for your kitchen in back or over your entry/exit door).
              2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
              Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
              Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
              Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Thanks guys , all great advice , think I'll go with a easy set up tent;
                and tarp over with some military canvas that I have and either make
                some or purchase some poles and stakes , like you say a65hoosier
                the tarp and poles and cordage can be used as a awning for my
                teardrop when its finished
                Last edited by JoeH; 11-16-2017, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X