Fire Powered Phone Charger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fire Powered Phone Charger

Has anyone tried to do anything with Peltier Modules to make a fire powered charger like on the BioLite stoves?
    “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
    – E. B. White

Re: Fire Powered Phone Charger

I was given a barely functional electric cooler (Peltier based)... I kept the Peltier and fan, heat sinks etc. if nothing else they have some value as scrap (they were certainly near useless as cooler chiller)...
    Put some basic research into it and found that care needs to be used in selecting the Peltier as some can be overheated and damaged more easily than others...
    Way too many irons in the fire right now to consider putting any time into this ... 'though the project does have a certain neatness appeal...

More, Peltier, power to you!

Enjoy!

EDIT;..I'm off to flush a Jeep transmission, now...
    Last edited by Happy Joe; 08-28-2017, 06:50 AM.
    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
      I was given a barely functional electric cooler (Peltier based)... I kept the Peltier and fan, heat sinks etc. if nothing else they have some value as scrap (they were certainly near useless as cooler chiller)...
      Put some basic research into it and found that care needs to be used in selecting the Peltier as some can be overheated and damaged more easily than others...
      Way too many irons in the fire right now to consider putting any time into this ... 'though the project does have a certain neatness appeal...

More, Peltier, power to you!

Enjoy!

EDIT;..I'm off to flush a Jeep transmission, now...
      I know what you mean. I still have an ice chest, 2 wood burning stoves, and a tepee tent to make. Not to mention replacing a door and fender and head gasket on my wife's car. Never done head gaskets before so that should be interesting.
      “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
      – E. B. White

Comment

The simple:
        http://stowerenergy.com/product/flamestower/

And the not so simple:
        http://www.instructables.com/id/Batt...wered-by-Fire/

I'd thought about buying the Biolite stove, mostly for its charging capability, but decided it really wasn't worth the money when I've got enough solar power to easily keep my batteries topped off.

Comment

I already have the house battery in the clipper, the old Wagan powerpack, and a new compact jumpstarter/charger. I have yet to use up the power in one of them let alone all three. So no need for fire chargers.

I could see it for backpacking, but for car camping, I think there are other choices more practical.

But, sometimes you just got to put it on your bucket list to do... so, with that, you gotta do it and tell us how it works!!! :aww:
          “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

I find that the USB connector on the Biolite stove is handier for using the Flexlight in low light cooking situations than it is for charging.

https://www.rei.com/product/897771/b...with-flexlight
            - Laura
            Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

Working...
            X