No announcement yet.

Cornelius keg for pressurised water...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cornelius keg for pressurised water...

One of these showed up yesterday;

A Cornelius keg; used for soda, beer (home brewed) etc.
    I intended to use mine for a pressurized camping shower although I'm sure they can be used for potable water too...
    Adventures In Home Brewing (no affiliation) has them (used) on sale ($30 + shipping) as I write this;
    Five 5 Gallon Pin Lock Soda Keg Coke

Mine came pressurized, press the center of the quick connect to drain the pressure.
    It also had some liquid still in the bottom (find someone with small arms to reach through the oval shaped hole on top to wipe down the inside).

Enjoy
    Last edited by Happy Joe; 08-20-2017, 11:37 AM.
    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Re: Cornelius keg for pressurised water...

Nice purchase. Hope you'll post pictures of the completed project.

Comment

I expect to post pics ; later...Have a lot of irons in the fire with the new(old) vehicles and the upcoming labor day weekend. ...Wanted to post it up while they are still on sale, I believe the regular price varies between 35 and 50 bucks...
      Besides bringing the vehicles up to snuff mechanically I need to consolidate and shrink the gear enough to fit 5 gallons worth of tank into the smaller Jeep...
      ...right now I figure on adding a Schrader(tire) valve to pressurize it (replace the gas side inlet) and some kind of quick disconnect faucet/showerhead hose assembly to easily change the function between potable water supply and shower..
      The on board (vehicle) air compressor will be sufficient to repressurize if I need to refill the tank in the field...
      An auxiliary heater is still barely in the planning stage (maybe black paint and an aluminized windshield sunscreen, for solar heat until then).

Enjoy!

(EDIT); I experienced a severe lack of room in the Jeep while camping this last (labor day) weekend so the (4-5 gallon) Cornelius keg pressurized water supply will be moved to the back burner (shed) and replaced by a project to pressurize the plastic 10 liter Sceptre water carrier...
      Last edited by Happy Joe; 09-05-2017, 09:28 AM.
      2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
      For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
      Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

That's a really good idea. I am a home brewer and have plenty of these lying around. Although meant for a carboy, a carboy brush works well when trying to clean the inside of the keg. My arms don't fit down inside them either, so I know exactly what you are talking about.

Here is an example of one from Northern Brewer (no affiliation either)...
        https://www.northernbrewer.com/carboy-brush

Comment

I can't claim that its an original idea, but for folks with lots of room to carry stuff it should work well.
          ...working (kind of) on a over the wheel well sceptre can carrier for the Jeep...

Enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
            I can't claim that its an original idea, but for folks with lots of room to carry stuff it should work well.
            ...working (kind of) on a over the wheel well sceptre can carrier for the Jeep...

Enjoy!
            How much pressure will these take? And were you able to change out the valve with a quick connect?
            “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
            – E. B. White

Comment

The keg will come with quick disconnects and the appropriate connectors are available online... be careful there are at least 2 types...
              It is my understanding that the maximum pressure is 130 psi.
              I drilled a hole in the tank and installed a metal tubeless tire Shraeder stem and valve... so that I could pressurize it with the compressor that I carry to air tires back up (let most of the air out of tires, down to 12 or 15 psi (caution; be prepared to reseat tire beads if you mange to push one off the rim), for better traction off road, then air them back up to spec for the trip home)
              ... basically; I dropped this keg as a project in favor of low pressurizing the 10 L or 20 L Scepter water carriers... they pack way better in the vehicles. (rectangular; fit in a Jerry can holder), and my tent battery, for the lights, powers the 12 volt compressors just fine... for limited use.

Enjoy!
              Last edited by Happy Joe; 01-25-2018, 07:43 AM.

Comment

I can't believe I'm suggesting this because I'm all about electric doohickeys (Yes, the technical term), but instead of pressurizing the water carriers, why not just make them gravity fed? Hang 'em off a tree or some kind of stand that breaks down.

Comment

...considered that... I have some European (German I think) water bags that work pretty well for hanging wash water(I don't, really, care for the rubber taste, though). Also considered all manner of electric, and manual) pumps (for in tent water supply) along with simply attaching a relatively large diameter plastic pipe to the vehicle roof rack... so far pressurization looks best for the in tent water supply (running water, and the ability to take a shower, hav a certain cool factor in the woods, IMO).

Enjoy!
                  Last edited by Happy Joe; 01-25-2018, 08:18 AM.

Comment

I hear ya on the cool factor. I once considered carrying a 55 gallon drum in the back of the truck with a Shure RV pump (which I already have) and garden hose setup to supply all the water everyone needed, including enough to kill the fire when we leave. Then I thought about 8-1/3 pounds per gallon and that idea quickly went away. But I still kinda kick around the idea of doing it with a 15 or 30 gallon.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	nemo lx shower.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	70993Has anyone used the nemo lx shower? Holds almost 6 gallons of water and has a foot pump for pressure

Comment

Happy Joe - I know I posted this in a different thread, but might be useful here for others regarding pressurizing your Sceptre water carrier.

Check out this guy at about 4:15 mins in. Looks about the same as what you are proposing (it looks to be the same carrier). Using it for a pressurized shower (although he isn't showing it in use in the video):

https://youtu.be/9dBlJ-SwbDU
                        2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
                        Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
                        Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
                        Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                          I hear ya on the cool factor. I once considered carrying a 55 gallon drum in the back of the truck with a Shure RV pump (which I already have) and garden hose setup to supply all the water everyone needed, including enough to kill the fire when we leave. Then I thought about 8-1/3 pounds per gallon and that idea quickly went away. But I still kinda kick around the idea of doing it with a 15 or 30 gallon.
                          I haven't camped with a pickup for several years, but a friend had a large plastic sprayer tank in the back of his which we used several times (likely 30 or 40 gallons).
                          I think the most water that I ever took (desert) camping was around 25 gallons (2-20 L scepter WCs and2 French wine tins(10 L ea.) a 10 L scepter along with several half gallon canteens... had some left when we got home too!...

Originally posted by gettinaway View Post
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]6308[/ATTACH]Has anyone used the nemo lx shower? Holds almost 6 gallons of water and has a foot pump for pressure
                          ...Used the garden sprayer version (diy and a bit cheaper) for several years; works pretty well for short showers... actually was looking for a stainless steel sprayer ('way spendy) for this when I stumbled upon Cornelious kegs ...

Originally posted by a65hoosier View Post
                          Happy Joe - I know I posted this in a different thread, but might be useful here for others regarding pressurizing your Sceptre water carrier.

Check out this guy at about 4:15 mins in. Looks about the same as what you are proposing (it looks to be the same carrier). Using it for a pressurized shower (although he isn't showing it in use in the video):

https://youtu.be/9dBlJ-SwbDU

YEP! I will likely use a fancier valve/quick disconnect but that looks, functionally) pretty much like what I want to end up with... Think I first ran across the idea over at Expedition Portal...roughly a couple of days after I did some of the early posts in this thread...

I believe that I will order a spare cap for the Scepter WC (water carriers) so that I can easily switch it between the 10 and 20 liter versions.

Enjoy!
                          Last edited by Happy Joe; 01-26-2018, 08:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X