Tent Floor Ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tent Floor Ideas

Looking for tent floor covering ideas. We sleep on pads so it's less of a protection issue and more of a comfort one. My wife likes a soft floor...

Currently I'm using some old U-haul moving blankets but I just don't think they are going to hold up to repeated use. Plus I can't get my wife to keep them out of the washing machine after each trip further shortening their life! We car camp mostly so space if not much of an issue.

Re: Tent Floor Ideas

Sorry for the late response things have been hectic lately...
    Tent flooring is a tough one; I use a heavy tarp as under the tent to help protect it and reduce the impact or sticks & rocks on the tent and my feet.
    right now I have an area rug to soften the floor a bit, however; it is awkward to pack. (this last trip I used a smaller one that apart from constantly moving around was pretty good).
    I have tried heavy foam rubber (it was HEAVY to the point were it only made one trip).
    I get tempted by interlocking foam floor panels/pads regularly but so far I haven't been able to justify the packing space.
    Used moving pads for insulation between the bag and the air mattress very successfully for years... never tried them on the floor though.

Enjoy!
    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

I use carpet. I work construction so it is readily available to me. However, my tent is in the bed of my truck so I don't have to worry about rocks and sticks. Still, I have a bed liner with a bunch of little ridges that would be a nightmare without the carpet. With it I don't even notice them. I would worry about the roughness of the bottom of the carpet on the tent floor though.
      “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
      – E. B. White

Comment

We also use tents (generally 6P and 4P size) and sleep on pads. Our tent "rugs" are 100% wool Italian Army surplus blankets. They are the real deal-c. 1951, weighing about 6 pounds each. Thick and comfortable---summer or winter they're good on the feet and protect tent floor internally. They roll up into a fairly small package. Can also serve other purposes in camp-use as a blanket or a wrap in cold weather, perfect for around campfire since it's a natural fiber. Keep in car as part of an emergency kit. Use at home. Dirt brushes off---I wash them twice a year (over-washing will shorten the life also---and no no no heat drying).

Click image for larger version

Name:	Italian Army Blanket.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	70860
        2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
        Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
        Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
        Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Since you're looking at comfort rather than anything else, the interlocking cushioned floors are a good idea if she wants cushy-soft all over. You can configure them to fit whatever tent you use.

If you just need that stretch between the bed and the door, you might look at yoga mats. They roll up nicely for transport and have cush.

If you just want a soft feeling, then I'd look at carpet remnants. You can get them cheap at home depot, flooring companies, etc. When home from camping, just run the vaccuum over them.
          “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by a65hoosier View Post
            We also use tents (generally 6P and 4P size) and sleep on pads. Our tent "rugs" are 100% wool Italian Army surplus blankets. They are the real deal-c. 1951, weighing about 6 pounds each. Thick and comfortable---summer or winter they're good on the feet and protect tent floor internally. They roll up into a fairly small package. Can also serve other purposes in camp-use as a blanket or a wrap in cold weather, perfect for around campfire since it's a natural fiber. Keep in car as part of an emergency kit. Use at home. Dirt brushes off---I wash them twice a year (over-washing will shorten the life also---and no no no heat drying).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6145[/ATTACH]
            Great feedback guys. Hoosier I really like the surplus military blanket idea. Going to see what I can track down.

Comment

Home Depot has some indoor/outdoor area rugs of various sizes that are fairly cheap - somewhere in the $10-30 range. I bought a 5x8 that fits almost perfectly in my Kodiak 2-person and still works for me in the 6-person. I like it better than the by-the-yard carpet I had before because it's thicker and the ends don't fray. For people who look for aesthetics, they also look better than your average fake grass or plain mat.

Comment

I use a couple of Camco Handy Mats in the tents. Fold up in a small size and easy to store in nooks and crannies.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-428...&wl13=&veh=sem
                - Laura
                Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

I bought the floor liner offered for the tent. It has loops that hook into the corners. A tarp makes the ground cover.

James., you should check out the BedRug if you ever replace your truck. They're comfortable to lie on. And being able to set something down anywhere in the bed without having it slide around is handy.

Comment

I'm using moving blankets as well.

Comment

Working...
                    X