then rolled it between two boards
    will be playing with it trying different materials

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8651.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	72988

Re: Anyoe into fire by friction?

Cool! I haven't heard of fire roll. Keep us updated on what materials work best.

I love trying new skills. I carry a flint ant steel in my fire kit but have tried anything like a fire roll. I have been thinking of trying a bow drill just to learn another skill. Now I will need to add this to my list to try

Originally posted by terasec View Post
    Just tried fire rolll
    surprised how quick and easy it was
    good ember in under a minute
    rolled out a cotton ball
    sprinkled some ash
    rolled it up like a cigarette
    then rolled it between two boards
    will be playing with it trying different materials

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6133[/ATTACH]

Comment

...any more I'm just interested in quick and easy;
      at one time I was interested in different methods of fire starting... stuck with a fire drill until I got it to work, once (3-4 hours)...did many types of spark starters.. now I just use a BIC lighter and gelled alcohol...
      If I have cotton balls, in the woods, they are saturated with petroleum jelly (compressed and stored in a metal tube on the knife sheath along with a fire steel) so it is unlikely that a fire roll will work for me...
      Let us know if you can get it to work with found materials though.

Enjoy!
      Last edited by Happy Joe; 08-13-2017, 10:32 AM.
      2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
      For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
      Ground tents work best for me, so far.
      Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
        ...any more I'm just interested in quick and easy;
        at one time I was interested in different methods of fire starting... stuck with a fire drill until I got it to work, once (3-4 hours)...did many types of spark starters.. now I just use a BIC lighter and gelled alcohol...
        If I have cotton balls, in the woods, they are saturated with petroleum jelly (compressed and stored in a metal tube on the knife sheath along with a fire steel) so it is unlikely that a fire roll will work for me...
        Let us know if you can get it to work with found materials though.

Enjoy!
        hardest part of friction fire is not resorting to a faster easier method available
        for fun and practice its one thing
        but when you want a fire well to heck with primitive methods
        as for the fire roll its pretty cool
        do have to find alternative materials to make it practicle
        cattail fluff for cotton ball might work
        abrasive for ash will be tough

Comment

I like reading about the primitive ways and watching others demonstrate the primitive ways but the closest I have come to primitive fire starting is to use a fire steel. It does work but when I want a fire either a butane lighter or a good old match are hard to beat.

Comment

One of the neater "primitive" (not really) matchless fire starters that I have seen was a fire piston;
            http://www.primitiveways.com/Fire%20...materials.html

...not fire by friction though...

Enjoy!
            2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
            For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
            Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Comment

I think these "primitive" ways are good to know if you get stuck out somewhere. They're an emergency tool.

But they're usefulness depends on being able to find the tools in the wilderness. If you have to be prepared and carry the ingredients with you, then they're no different than carrying matches or a lighter - just more difficult to make a fire with.
                “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
                  I think these "primitive" ways are good to know if you get stuck out somewhere. They're an emergency tool.

But they're usefulness depends on being able to find the tools in the wilderness. If you have to be prepared and carry the ingredients with you, then they're no different than carrying matches or a lighter - just more difficult to make a fire with.
                  i agree
                  like i said fire roll i used was great, but not practical in the field,
                  a practical use for it is since i usually pack cotton balls/drier lint any way, roll it with ash, in case i lose my other fire methods fire roll would still be an option
                  fire piston is great to play with, but again, if i am going to pack a tool for fire starting it will be something more reliable,
                  ferro rods are great compromise , and alot more reliable long term than other methods

Comment

Neat/interesting; not necessarily practical...
                    ... something to mess with after the camp chores are done or as a conversation piece/method, something different to start the campfire...(used to do single match fires, using found kindling, but strike anywhere matches are practically extinct...).

Enjoy!

Comment

Working...
                    X