New hat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New hat

I may have found an alternative to Tilley. I've been wearing Tilley hats for the last 10 years or more, but this one looks interesting and is priced at about 1/2 the cost...The removable top is kinda goofy though.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ri/description
    2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Re: New hat

That zip top is beyond goofy - and it's hard to beat a Tilley for quality!

Comment

I like it.....The zip top is a bit goofy, but I think I could live with it !!
      2014 Heartland Cyclone 4114 5th-Wheel ToyHauler

NIGHTS CAMPED:

2013 - 58 / 2014 - 44 / 2015 - 52 / 2016 - 48 / 2017 - ​34 / 2018 - ​??

Comment

Not a bad hat and you don't have to unzip the top.
        “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
        – E. B. White

Comment

I think if you either completely remove the top of have it fully closed, it's a nice hat. I wouldn't walk around with partially unzipped. And think you can wear it as a tricorn.
          “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

I kinda like it, esp the wire in the brim (if it is durable) so you can custom the brim accordingly. The zip off top could be a neat feature in hot weather. You could either unzip it for extra ventilation....OR.....unzip it, dump some ice cubes down in there on top of your noggin and zip it back up.

Oh...and this is my 600th post. YAY!!!!
            2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
            Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
            Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
            Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by a65hoosier View Post
              I kinda like it, esp the wire in the brim (if it is durable) so you can custom the brim accordingly. The zip off top could be a neat feature in hot weather. You could either unzip it for extra ventilation....OR.....unzip it, dump some ice cubes down in there on top of your noggin and zip it back up.

You gave me brain freeze just thinking about that ice on my head...

Congratulations on 600!!! WooHoo!!!
              “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

:yipi:
                “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                – E. B. White

Comment

I kinda like it, esp the wire in the brim (if it is durable) so you can custom the brim accordingly.
                  The wire durability is my main concern, but mostly I just wear my hats bush style. However, in my truck the rear brim gets squashed against the headrest, so I can see using the bendable feature for that.

It's only $40, so...I've lost one Tilley and given another away. I wouldn't feel so bad about losing this one.
                  2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Mormon View Post
                    in my truck the rear brim gets squashed against the headrest...
                    That's exactly what happened to my now signature hat. From rubbing on the seat, it finally wore away and allowed the plastic stiffener to pop out. Now I'm scrambling to find a way to fix it because the hat is no longer made. I wrote to the original manufacturer to see if they had any leftover stock and never got a response, so I guess a repair will have to happen. How to do it without it looking like a patchwork job seems to be more of a problem than I would have imagined.

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Mormon View Post
                      in my truck the rear brim gets squashed against the headrest
                      lol...yep. And the front then feels like it's lifting up and off the forehead....
                      Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
                      Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
                      Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

What the heck---for $40---I just pledged to this guy's Kickstarter campaign. It's already fully funded. I'm going to give the "Shapeshifter" a try (eventually...expected ship date Nov 2017).

Dorky, weird, practical, functional, durable? All of the above? I'll find out....

sigpic

Comment

Keep us posted. I have too many hiking hats at the moment, but could see this in the future.

Comment

I'm not into fiddling with things that much. I just swap the big hat for a ball cap. My favorite big hat has a flexible brim that just flies up when the wind gets it. I can run wide open across the lake in my boat and don't need a strap. And straw keeps you cooler in my experience.

I have an extra hat new in the box ready to go when this one wears out. I don't remember the name or anything. It was the biggest straw hat Coolibar had a the time.

Comment

Working...
                            X