Sleeping bag temperature recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sleeping bag temperature recommendation

I ended up getting the 20 degree version of the Slumberjack Country Squire. Got it for 163 on Overstock.com.

Outdoor Gear Lab reviewed a bunch of 0 degree car camping bags. That's how I found the bag I finally selected.

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics...t-sleeping-bag

Comment

Originally posted by JoeN View Post
      I car camp so I don't worry about weight and I always take two bags. One bag is rated for 0 degrees and one is rated for 40 degrees. I sleep in one bag and use the other bag underneath for more cushioning. I also carry a sheet and/or a light flannel blanket in case it gets too warm for a bag. Then I sleep under the sheet or blanket and on top of both bags. I can sleep hot but sleeping cold is just miserable.
      According to the Hitch-Hiker's guide, the single most useful thing you can carry while traveling is a towel. South Park glommed onto this as well. The kicker is, a towel is absolutely useful in so many ways. Since my hobby involves getting wet, there's that of course. But the beach towel I routinely carry in my truck has saved me from some very uncomfortable nights. It can be rolled up as a pillow, and also used as top insulation. One almost miserable night on a sandbar was saved due to that towel providing the extra insulation I needed.
      2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Mormon View Post
        According to the Hitch-Hiker's guide, the single most useful thing you can carry while traveling is a towel. South Park glommed onto this as well. The kicker is, a towel is absolutely useful in so many ways. Since my hobby involves getting wet, there's that of course. But the beach towel I routinely carry in my truck has saved me from some very uncomfortable nights. It can be rolled up as a pillow, and also used as top insulation. One almost miserable night on a sandbar was saved due to that towel providing the extra insulation I needed.
        This is wisdom.

btw, Towlie was born from the fact that everything on South Park was so commercialized that Stone and Parker made the dumbest thing they could think of to see if it would be commercialized. Towlie was born.....and was commercialized.
        “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
        – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
          I'll have to disagree with that. I've never seen a "how to choose a sleeping bag" site mention survival in their ratings, it's always warm at such and such a temperature.
          I've talked to reps at two companies (Teton Sports and Butler Bags) who told me their temperature ratings are survival ratings. So apparently it depends on the company.

Comment

Working...
          X