Thread: Sleeping bag temperature recommendation

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

Default Re: Sleeping bag temperature recommendation

Yep! sounds good especially for non mountain camping... The larger big buddy heater works well when using a pop up canopy, with walls as a social area in inclement (rainy/ sleety) weather...(few bugs here so screens are not an issue).

Enjoy!
    2006 Jeep Rubicon; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
    For "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
    Tents work best for me, so far.
    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

In the clipper, I use the Little Buddy to heat right before I change clothes. That's when i'm coldest. So, I run it for 10-30 minutes before changing for bed, and then 10-30 minutes before changing into clothes in the a.m. I'm always comfy while in bed.
    “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

i use a 20 degree bag year round, from summer to 0 degrees in winter
    in summer i just keep it open more often
    in freezing temps i put more effort in overall sleep system, from padding, to sleeping clothes
    also in freezing temps i will cinch up the top leaving only my face exposed, helps keep the heat in as opposed to the heat escaping though the top

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

I agree with the 20 degree fudge factor - this covers most bags you will buy in a store. Cottage manufacturers tend to have more accurate ratings. I have a Kelty bag which at 35 degrees is rated,um, optimistically. I also have one of those generic rectangular bags that cost $12 or something, and it works quite well as a top quilt with the Kelty. Alternatively I change into some fleece ("jogging" clothes) and that helps me stay warm too. It rarely gets below freezing here so I don't want to buy another sleeping bag for those occasions, when I can make do with what I have. I think other people have mentioned it here too, but you can sleep with a bottle of warm water in close proximity to your circulatory system (e.g. femoral arteries) and that will help if you find yourself in a bind. I am mostly a 3-season camper because I prefer the longer days, so YMMV. I do sleep a lot colder in my hammock (Cold Butt Syndrome), but there are ways around that too.
    2017: Oklahoma bound!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

I car camp so I don't worry about weight and I always take two bags. One bag is rated for 0 degrees and one is rated for 40 degrees. I sleep in one bag and use the other bag underneath for more cushioning. I also carry a sheet and/or a light flannel blanket in case it gets too warm for a bag. Then I sleep under the sheet or blanket and on top of both bags. I can sleep hot but sleeping cold is just miserable.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

I ended up getting the 20 degree version of the Slumberjack Country Squire. Got it for 163 on Overstock.com.

Outdoor Gear Lab reviewed a bunch of 0 degree car camping bags. That's how I found the bag I finally selected.

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics...t-sleeping-bag

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JoeN View Post
    I car camp so I don't worry about weight and I always take two bags. One bag is rated for 0 degrees and one is rated for 40 degrees. I sleep in one bag and use the other bag underneath for more cushioning. I also carry a sheet and/or a light flannel blanket in case it gets too warm for a bag. Then I sleep under the sheet or blanket and on top of both bags. I can sleep hot but sleeping cold is just miserable.
    According to the Hitch-Hiker's guide, the single most useful thing you can carry while traveling is a towel. South Park glommed onto this as well. The kicker is, a towel is absolutely useful in so many ways. Since my hobby involves getting wet, there's that of course. But the beach towel I routinely carry in my truck has saved me from some very uncomfortable nights. It can be rolled up as a pillow, and also used as top insulation. One almost miserable night on a sandbar was saved due to that towel providing the extra insulation I needed.
    2017: Oklahoma bound!

I Have to Get Out...Again James.'s Avatar
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Irate Mormon View Post
    According to the Hitch-Hiker's guide, the single most useful thing you can carry while traveling is a towel. South Park glommed onto this as well. The kicker is, a towel is absolutely useful in so many ways. Since my hobby involves getting wet, there's that of course. But the beach towel I routinely carry in my truck has saved me from some very uncomfortable nights. It can be rolled up as a pillow, and also used as top insulation. One almost miserable night on a sandbar was saved due to that towel providing the extra insulation I needed.
    This is wisdom.

btw, Towlie was born from the fact that everything on South Park was so commercialized that Stone and Parker made the dumbest thing they could think of to see if it would be commercialized. Towlie was born.....and was commercialized.
    “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
    – E. B. White

Thread Information