My next trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My next trip

Some of those comments were disturbing to me.

The Happy Birthday song has been an issue because no one really knows how long it has been around and there is no real proof that it was written by the person claimed.

But some of those commenters think that the LOTR books should lose their copyright. Why? So some fanboy can write a crappy story based on it. Meanwhile, if that happened, it would also allow anyone to make millions off the original story because of it's reputation and popularity, while giving the original author and his family nothing.

Sorry, intellectual property and copyright is a sensitive thing to me. As an amateur photographer and casual website designer, I have dealt with people who want my work but are not willing to pay for it. I've heard "anyone can do it, why should I pay you" more times than I can count. And they have no problem, taking a photograph off the internet, slapping it on a mug, and selling it on cafepress or etsy. Who cares that it took the actual photographer thousands of dollars worth of equipment, years of experience, and an innate talent to create that photo.

I agree the happy birthday copyright is wrong, but there's a difference between that and limiting all intellectual copyrights to a set timeframe because other people should be allowed to profit off your hard work.
    “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post

The Happy Birthday song has been an issue because no one really knows how long it has been around and there is no real proof that it was written by the person claimed.

But some of those commenters think that the LOTR books should lose their copyright. Why? So some fanboy can write a crappy story based on it. Meanwhile, if that happened, it would also allow anyone to make millions off the original story because of it's reputation and popularity, while giving the original author and his family nothing.

Sorry, intellectual property and copyright is a sensitive thing to me. As an amateur photographer and casual website designer, I have dealt with people who want my work but are not willing to pay for it. I've heard "anyone can do it, why should I pay you" more times than I can count. And they have no problem, taking a photograph off the internet, slapping it on a mug, and selling it on cafepress or etsy. Who cares that it took the actual photographer thousands of dollars worth of equipment, years of experience, and an innate talent to create that photo.

I agree the happy birthday copyright is wrong, but there's a difference between that and limiting all intellectual copyrights to a set timeframe because other people should be allowed to profit off your hard work.
      I tend to stay out of the comments sections.
      “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
      – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post

I do everything to respect people’s copyrighted material. I made my living as a stained glass artist for many years. I once had a couple come in for a custom window for the home they were building. I spent many hour with them drawing a design and picking and ordering glass. They asked to take the copyrighted drawing to the builder to verify the window size and instead took it to my competitor. Their home was to be on a home tour and promised the othe artist free advertising for making the window for free. The competitor made the window and did not get the advertising as promised.

Now I work for a group of radio stations. I have access to many songs in many genres but I will not download free music. The artists work very hard and deserves payment for their intellectual copyrighted material.

Comment

Originally posted by Denni2 View Post
          I do everything to respect people’s copyrighted material. I made my living as a stained glass artist for many years. I once had a couple come in for a custom window for the home they were building. I spent many hour with them drawing a design and picking and ordering glass. They asked to take the copyrighted drawing to the builder to verify the window size and instead took it to my competitor. Their home was to be on a home tour and promised the othe artist free advertising for making the window for free. The competitor made the window and did not get the advertising as promised.
          It would be a real shame if someone with a wrist rocket happened to put a couple of 1/2 inch steel balls through that window.

Comment

Working...
          X