My next trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My next trip

I don't know how it snuck up on me but I am just 6 days away from heading out of town. I replace my tie rods, and upper and lower ball joints and took it to a shop to get the alignment done today. I will be spending the next couple days meal planning and shopping. Cant wait.
    “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
    – E. B. White

Re: My next trip

Had to laugh on that one. My next trip is at least a couple of months away and I'm already going over (and over) my lists and moving gear around in my cases.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
      Had to laugh on that one. My next trip is at least a couple of months away and I'm already going over (and over) my lists and moving gear around in my cases.
      I'm with you but I have SO much non camping related stuff to do...plus my brother went on a family trip for a couple weeks which left me as the main person dealing with my mom. She has dementia and requires a lot of attention. When he told me about the trip I asked when he was coming back....then told him I would be going out of town the next weekend. He laughed and said, "Because you are going to need it right?"
      “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
      – E. B. White

Comment

Hey James....that's great (I'm assuming you are headed out of town camping---lol)! Hope you have a good time. Where are you headed? Take pics!!!

MacGyver....ouch, a 2 month break...altho planning for the next one makes it easier to pass the time. Is this a group camp or a solo trip?

My next trip is in 2 weeks for a few nights and then I'm back out again for a couple of nights 2 weeks after that. Heading to a lakeside campsite (glamping/fishing at a state rec area) for the first and then off to a primitive site the second trip. Couple of different styles and a few changes in my gear loadouts for each which keeps it interesting. Meal planning done for first one (altho perishables not purchased yet)...and I have no idea what I'm eating on the second trip. lol
        2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
        Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
        Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
        Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by a65hoosier View Post
          MacGyver....ouch, a 2 month break...altho planning for the next one makes it easier to pass the time. Is this a group camp or a solo trip?
          Yeah - it sucks. Got a couple of things working against me. This is prime season for the extermination business and it's way too hot and humid here to even think of going. I shudder to think what we'll be looking at in August when the hazy, hot and humid is typically at its worst. I might get out on a solo trip in early September if the weather breaks, but the group trip is being put off 'til later because of a wedding that half the camping gang is in - including the bride and groom.

Comment

Originally posted by a65hoosier View Post
            Hey James....that's great (I'm assuming you are headed out of town camping---lol)! Hope you have a good time. Where are you headed? Take pics!!!

Yes Sir! Camping it is. I talked to my boss and he said I could cut out of work early on Friday so the plan is to load up most of the stuff on Thursday night. That way I can head home grab my food and my dog and head out. I will probably head to Aztec Peak which is on the far side (northeast side) of Roosevelt Lake. It is just a couple hours away and high enough to cool it down into the 80's. Plus it has the advantage of being on the FAR side of Roosevelt Lake which means less people. I think I will take the long way to get there to check out some other places on my way out there.

The only bad thing is that there is a Stage 1 fire restriction in the area so no campfire but maybe I will get lucky and they will left it since the monsoons have started. It looks like it poured in that area in the last 24 hours.
            – E. B. White

Comment

I'm still sitting in limbo land. Have a camping trip and an international trip potentially, but am waiting for a legal issue to resolve before I can commit. I'm going batty... I've planned everything about 5 times now and am still a couple months' away.
              “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Looks like Tonto NF just lifted the fire restrictions just in time for my trip this weekend. :yipi:

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/tonto...d=FSEPRD550793
                – E. B. White

Comment

Hmm. I usually do my route planning way in advance, but end up throwing my meager kit together the day before I leave out, if not the morning of the day I leave. Even so I wind up with more stuff than I actually use. Because I MIGHT need my laptop, for example...in case the writing bug strikes.
                  2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

And at the end of the day my boss told me that he couldn't think of a reason I needed to come in to work tomorrow. So now I get to head out early in the morning. I was going to load up tonight and head out first thing but it didn't happen and now I am glad because its pouring rain outside.
                    – E. B. White

Comment

The bug is biting hard. The severe heat wave broke today with the morning finally having a tiny bit of chill to it and it topped out at a comfortable 85° with fairly low humidity. To make the wait even worse, I took one of my camping buddies up to the park Sunday to scope out some sites in areas of the forest we haven't seen in 20+ years. DEFINITELY want to GO! Unfortunately, I know this break in the weather is only temporary. August is pretty much a hazy, hot and humid mess here.

Comment

We have been hot and humid here in Missouri as well but we have a break this weekend. I'm headed for a one night out at the pond on the farm Friday or Saturday night. Low 61, High 82. Had rain so campfire is in order after a couple of really hot weeks. Hope the whippoorwills will tune up.

Comment

Good weekend, got some rain but not too much. Got some good pictures to share when I get a bit more time too.
                          – E. B. White

Comment

http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/for...1#post-3537774

The best pics of my trip.
                            – E. B. White

Comment

James, you were in some beautiful (albeit rough) country! Bet you really enjoyed your time out there!

Comment

Working...
                              X