Repair or replace tent pole?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repair or replace tent pole?

The center fiberglass tent pole on our cabin tent was the only thing that didn't survive the severe storms we experienced over this last trip. The break was right at the end of the pole where it connects to the fitting attached to the tent. The metal ferrule on the end of the fiberglass pole sheared right off, and the end of that section of pole is shattered and splintered. We nursed it through the rest of the trip by splinting it and taping it up. Just debating if we should try to repair the pole, replace just the broken section, or just replace the whole pole at this point. We love the tent and it has served us well for many years, so keeping it up and running would be ideal.

I found this site: http://tentpoletechnologies.com/ that sells the entire poles as well as parts, but wanted to hear from ya'll on personal experiences with repair vs. replace. Thanks in advance!
    Married to Longpants, Mom to Littlepants (9) and Tinypants (5). Love Camping in New England!

Re: Repair or replace tent pole?

That is the site that I always direct people to for pole issues. They will certainly be able to make a duplicate of the broken section but, in my mind, once one fiberglass section in a set fails, they've aged enough to warrant replacement. If it's within your budget and the tent has enough years left in it, I'd go ahead and upgrade all the poles to aluminum. If aluminum isn't in the budget, they can duplicate the set you have now. Either way, TentPoleTechnologies can make what you need.

Comment

Thank you Mac, I was thinking the exact same thing... the integrity of the entire pole is now in question, so best to just replace the whole shebang instead of just the one section.

It's actually kind of funny, I've been shopping new tents for a while now, and the question of me staging the whole pole break has been brought up more than once... LOL! While I love the space the cabin tent affords us, I find the design lacking and would rather go for a larger dome style with a full rainfly. For now, replacing the pole is probably the route we will take. I will continue to lust after a new tent.... haha!

Thanks again!
      Married to Longpants, Mom to Littlepants (9) and Tinypants (5). Love Camping in New England!

Comment

keep the old sections and pack in your gear in case of another need

Comment

Working...
        X