Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Insulated Cooler Lid

  1. #1
    I Have to Get Out...Again James.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Mesa Arizona
    Posts
    1,254
    Thanks (Given)
    2
    Thanks (Received)
    17
    Likes (Given)
    54
    Likes (Received)
    88
    Dislikes (Given)
    0
    Dislikes (Received)
    0

    Default Insulated Cooler Lid

    Has anyone here ever successfully insulated the lid on their cooler? It is a great source of frustration for me that there isn't anything but air in the lid. It just seems lazy. I am wondering if it is possible to diy this.
    I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.
    E. B. White

  2. #2
    Denni2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Northeast Indiana
    Posts
    174
    Thanks (Given)
    4
    Thanks (Received)
    9
    Likes (Given)
    20
    Likes (Received)
    22
    Dislikes (Given)
    0
    Dislikes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Insulated Cooler Lid

    I lined our cooler with Reflectix. Instead of lining the lid I made a the back taller to make an inside lid. The ice lasts a lot longer with this. We also keep a couple of small quilted pads over the cooler. I saw a video once where a guy drilled holes in his cooler and filled it with spray foam. I'm afraid to try this. It might really warp my cooler and it would be useless.

  3. #3
    I Have to Get Out...Again James.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Mesa Arizona
    Posts
    1,254
    Thanks (Given)
    2
    Thanks (Received)
    17
    Likes (Given)
    54
    Likes (Received)
    88
    Dislikes (Given)
    0
    Dislikes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Insulated Cooler Lid

    I am kind of wondering if I can cut the top off the lid (which is too thin) and spray foam in, let it dry, shape it and then mold a new top and weld it on to the old bottom.
    I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.
    E. B. White

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    614
    Thanks (Given)
    1
    Thanks (Received)
    7
    Likes (Given)
    9
    Likes (Received)
    29
    Dislikes (Given)
    0
    Dislikes (Received)
    2

    Default Re: Insulated Cooler Lid

    Quote Originally Posted by James. View Post
    I am kind of wondering if I can cut the top off the lid (which is too thin) and spray foam in, let it dry, shape it and then mold a new top and weld it on to the old bottom.
    instead of completely cutting off the top
    just cut holes into it to let you insert the nozzle of the spray foam
    then only have to cover the holes not rig entire new cover
    if you use hole bit 1-2" can even reuse piece you remove and use plastic bond around edges

  5. #5
    I Have to Get Out...Again James.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Mesa Arizona
    Posts
    1,254
    Thanks (Given)
    2
    Thanks (Received)
    17
    Likes (Given)
    54
    Likes (Received)
    88
    Dislikes (Given)
    0
    Dislikes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Insulated Cooler Lid

    Quote Originally Posted by terasec View Post
    instead of completely cutting off the top
    just cut holes into it to let you insert the nozzle of the spray foam
    then only have to cover the holes not rig entire new cover
    if you use hole bit 1-2" can even reuse piece you remove and use plastic bond around edges
    That was my original idea but the lid really is to thin.
    I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.
    E. B. White

  6. #6
    MacGyver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Maryland - The Tax Me State
    Posts
    1,423
    Thanks (Given)
    11
    Thanks (Received)
    37
    Likes (Given)
    153
    Likes (Received)
    111
    Dislikes (Given)
    1
    Dislikes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Insulated Cooler Lid

    I don't know if it would work, but here's what popped into my head. I do know that controlling the expansion from spray in foam can get tricky. I messed with some projects years ago and found that whatever mold you use has to be super sturdy, otherwise the foam distorts everything. So... in the case of the lid on a cooler, I was thinking you could, as mentioned, cut a small hole for the inevitable excess to ooze out with the addition of filling the cooler with water to keep the lid from bulging out. It would still be tricky to get the right amount of foam in the lid, but the water, being incompressible should minimize if not eliminate the bulging.

  7. #7
    Apprentice Geezer Happy Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Colorado, U.S.A.
    Posts
    660
    Thanks (Given)
    40
    Thanks (Received)
    24
    Likes (Given)
    170
    Likes (Received)
    71
    Dislikes (Given)
    0
    Dislikes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Insulated Cooler Lid

    I needed to insulate the a blow molded cooler top once; It had a small hole (maybe 1/4") already so I got some Styrofoam (beanbag chair) beads and spent a week during television commercials poking beads into the hole... it worked; kind of, but the rest of the cooler was double wall only (no insulation) so it didn't really help all that much...

    My advice after spending near 40 years messing around; save up and get a good, high quality, cooler.... ice keeping for a week, is worth it (and the good ones are Bear resistant too!).

    Enjoy!
    Last edited by Happy Joe; 07-05-2017 at 12:19 PM.
    2006 Jeep Rubicon; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
    Tents work best for me, so far.
    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

  8. #8
    I Have to Get Out...Again James.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Mesa Arizona
    Posts
    1,254
    Thanks (Given)
    2
    Thanks (Received)
    17
    Likes (Given)
    54
    Likes (Received)
    88
    Dislikes (Given)
    0
    Dislikes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Insulated Cooler Lid

    Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    I don't know if it would work, but here's what popped into my head. I do know that controlling the expansion from spray in foam can get tricky. I messed with some projects years ago and found that whatever mold you use has to be super sturdy, otherwise the foam distorts everything. So... in the case of the lid on a cooler, I was thinking you could, as mentioned, cut a small hole for the inevitable excess to ooze out with the addition of filling the cooler with water to keep the lid from bulging out. It would still be tricky to get the right amount of foam in the lid, but the water, being incompressible should minimize if not eliminate the bulging.
    I was actually planning on cutting the top half of the existing lid off and then spraying the foam on the bottom half. Then letting it dry and cutting/shaping the foam into a decent shape and then using a heat gun to shape a sheet of abs plastic on top of the foam. That way I wouldn't have to worry about the foam not expanding or expanding to much.
    I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.
    E. B. White

  9. #9
    I Have to Get Out...Again James.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Mesa Arizona
    Posts
    1,254
    Thanks (Given)
    2
    Thanks (Received)
    17
    Likes (Given)
    54
    Likes (Received)
    88
    Dislikes (Given)
    0
    Dislikes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Insulated Cooler Lid

    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Joe View Post
    I needed to insulate the a blow molded cooler top once; It had a small hole (maybe 1/4") already so I got some Styrofoam (beanbag chair) beads and spent a week during television commercials poking beads into the hole... it worked; kind of, but the rest of the cooler was double wall only (no insulation) so it didn't really help all that much...

    My advice after spending near 40 years messing around; save up and get a good, high quality, cooler.... ice keeping for a week, is worth it (and the good ones are Bear resistant too!).

    Enjoy!
    Where is the fun in that?

    I was actually thinking that I can make an even awesomer cooler with a couple plastic totes and spray foam.
    I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.
    E. B. White

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    40
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    1
    Dislikes (Given)
    0
    Dislikes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Insulated Cooler Lid

    I have a cheep igloo I keep in the back of my truck. I was lucky if I could get ice to last all day when it was hot outside. I just opened the lid and drilled a hole in the bottom of it. I then sprayed expanding foam in it until it was full.
    It helped but it still sucks compared to my Yeti. It will keep ice throughout the day and I don't have to worry about anyone steeling the ugly POS.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •