I Have to Get Out...Again James.'s Avatar
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

Default Insulated Cooler Lid

Has anyone here ever successfully insulated the lid on their cooler? It is a great source of frustration for me that there isn't anything but air in the lid. It just seems lazy. I am wondering if it is possible to diy this.
    I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.
    E. B. White

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

Default Re: Insulated Cooler Lid

I lined our cooler with Reflectix. Instead of lining the lid I made a the back taller to make an inside lid. The ice lasts a lot longer with this. We also keep a couple of small quilted pads over the cooler. I saw a video once where a guy drilled holes in his cooler and filled it with spray foam. I'm afraid to try this. It might really warp my cooler and it would be useless.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

I am kind of wondering if I can cut the top off the lid (which is too thin) and spray foam in, let it dry, shape it and then mold a new top and weld it on to the old bottom.
    I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.
    E. B. White

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by James. View Post
    I am kind of wondering if I can cut the top off the lid (which is too thin) and spray foam in, let it dry, shape it and then mold a new top and weld it on to the old bottom.
    instead of completely cutting off the top
    just cut holes into it to let you insert the nozzle of the spray foam
    then only have to cover the holes not rig entire new cover
    if you use hole bit 1-2" can even reuse piece you remove and use plastic bond around edges

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by terasec View Post
    instead of completely cutting off the top
    just cut holes into it to let you insert the nozzle of the spray foam
    then only have to cover the holes not rig entire new cover
    if you use hole bit 1-2" can even reuse piece you remove and use plastic bond around edges
    That was my original idea but the lid really is to thin.
    E. B. White

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

I don't know if it would work, but here's what popped into my head. I do know that controlling the expansion from spray in foam can get tricky. I messed with some projects years ago and found that whatever mold you use has to be super sturdy, otherwise the foam distorts everything. So... in the case of the lid on a cooler, I was thinking you could, as mentioned, cut a small hole for the inevitable excess to ooze out with the addition of filling the cooler with water to keep the lid from bulging out. It would still be tricky to get the right amount of foam in the lid, but the water, being incompressible should minimize if not eliminate the bulging.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

I needed to insulate the a blow molded cooler top once; It had a small hole (maybe 1/4") already so I got some Styrofoam (beanbag chair) beads and spent a week during television commercials poking beads into the hole... it worked; kind of, but the rest of the cooler was double wall only (no insulation) so it didn't really help all that much...

My advice after spending near 40 years messing around; save up and get a good, high quality, cooler.... ice keeping for a week, is worth it (and the good ones are Bear resistant too!).

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Happy Joe; 07-05-2017 at 12:19 PM.
    2006 Jeep Rubicon; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
    Tents work best for me, so far.
    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    I don't know if it would work, but here's what popped into my head. I do know that controlling the expansion from spray in foam can get tricky. I messed with some projects years ago and found that whatever mold you use has to be super sturdy, otherwise the foam distorts everything. So... in the case of the lid on a cooler, I was thinking you could, as mentioned, cut a small hole for the inevitable excess to ooze out with the addition of filling the cooler with water to keep the lid from bulging out. It would still be tricky to get the right amount of foam in the lid, but the water, being incompressible should minimize if not eliminate the bulging.
    I was actually planning on cutting the top half of the existing lid off and then spraying the foam on the bottom half. Then letting it dry and cutting/shaping the foam into a decent shape and then using a heat gun to shape a sheet of abs plastic on top of the foam. That way I wouldn't have to worry about the foam not expanding or expanding to much.
    E. B. White

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Joe View Post
    I needed to insulate the a blow molded cooler top once; It had a small hole (maybe 1/4") already so I got some Styrofoam (beanbag chair) beads and spent a week during television commercials poking beads into the hole... it worked; kind of, but the rest of the cooler was double wall only (no insulation) so it didn't really help all that much...

My advice after spending near 40 years messing around; save up and get a good, high quality, cooler.... ice keeping for a week, is worth it (and the good ones are Bear resistant too!).

Enjoy!
    Where is the fun in that?

I was actually thinking that I can make an even awesomer cooler with a couple plastic totes and spray foam.
    E. B. White

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Dislikes (Given)
    Dislikes (Received)

I have a cheep igloo I keep in the back of my truck. I was lucky if I could get ice to last all day when it was hot outside. I just opened the lid and drilled a hole in the bottom of it. I then sprayed expanding foam in it until it was full.
    It helped but it still sucks compared to my Yeti. It will keep ice throughout the day and I don't have to worry about anyone steeling the ugly POS.

Thread Information