Quiet power supply for fan at night?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quiet power supply for fan at night?

My family and I will be tent camping a lot this summer and fall on non-electric sites but I need my fan (for noise and air flow) to sleep at night. I've been trying to research online, but thought I'd ask here too...does anyone have suggestions for a quiet power supply that would power my 20in Cyclone Wind Machine fan? TIA!

Re: Quiet power supply for fan at night?

My first thought would be an inverter hooked to a deep cycle battery. My second thought would be to skip the huge wind machine in a tent because it's kind of overkill in a space as small as a tent, even a large one. There are plenty of 12 volt fans out there, from the somewhat famous Fantastic fans, to smaller automotive fans, either of which will run straight from 12 volts. Any of those will move plenty of air and give you the noise that you want.

Comment

I use the 5" O2Cool USB fan and a 6000 mAH power brick. Runs all night. I usually bring a few power bricks, including one that can recharge via solar (Coghlan), but there is a battery & AC option for the OS2Cool. It has a fairly concentrated stream of air. I aim this one at the bed. Just this one is usually good enough at night with windows open.

I also bring a Chill Out USB fan with a more diffused stream of air that works well outside to keep away mosquitoes during the day, or if it is super hot and a second fan is needed at night.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/O2Cool-5-...4hxIw2pbBKIu-I

https://www.walmart.com/ip/ChillOut-...4hxIw2pbBKIu-I

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Coghlan-s...&wl13=&veh=sem
      - Laura
      Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

Originally posted by Camping Mama View Post
        My family and I will be tent camping a lot this summer and fall on non-electric sites but I need my fan (for noise and air flow) to sleep at night. I've been trying to research online, but thought I'd ask here too...does anyone have suggestions for a quiet power supply that would power my 20in Cyclone Wind Machine fan? TIA!
        I think this is a bigger question than you realize. The simple solution is to take a generator with you. One of the super quiet Hondas. But since that is a LOT just for a fan the next thing is a battery. The problem with that is that batteries basically come in 6 or 12 volt and are DC power while your fan (I am guessing) is 110v AC. That will require an inverter, which isn't that big a deal except it is an extra cost and there is power loss just in the conversion.

So now you are thinking, "Well, do they make fans that run on 12v DC?" Yes they do. And the good news is that you probably won't need a 20" fan. If you are using it inside your tent a little bit goes a long way. What you need to find out is how big a fan you will want and how much power it pulls. Look for the power rating and you will probably need to do some math....definitely need to do some math.

Here is the formula you will need to know:

watts=amp x volts

Batteries are usually measured in amp hours (AH). That is one amp for one hour.

So if you find a 12v fan that runs at 6watts you can just do the math:

60watts=amps x 12v

6=amps x 12

6/12=amps x 12/12

.5=amps

So that fan needs a half an amp every hour. If you are going to run it all night, lets say 8 hours, then you are going to need a battery with at least 4ah. for 3 nights it would take 12ah.

Hope this helps you get started....it is really not that hard when you get into it.
        “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
        – E. B. White

Comment

Oh, if you hook two 6v batteries together a certain way you get 12volts. If you hook them up the other way it adds the amps
          “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
          – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
            Oh, if you hook two 6v batteries together a certain way you get 12volts. If you hook them up the other way it adds the amps
            Two 6-volt in series will give you 12-volts at the amp of one battery.

Two 12-volt in parallel will give you 12-volts at double the amp of one battery.

Always use two equal batteries of the same age for best results.
            “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

A 12 volt Fantastic Fan, a 12 volt plug socket with battery clamp, and a little 35 amp hour deep cycle battery will do the trick.

Thats is what I plan on doing. I'll recharge with the aforementioned Honda that I already own and a small battery tender (that I also already own).

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
                Two 6-volt in series will give you 12-volts at the amp of one battery.

Two 12-volt in parallel will give you 12-volts at double the amp of one battery.

Always use two equal batteries of the same age for best results.
                Maybe best results but I have a couple batteries of different amps and have had zero problems with them. Its only been about a year but I don't think its that big a deal.
                – E. B. White

Comment

I think different amps are better handled than different ages or different types. With different ages, the older battery can weaken the new one. With different amps, you're just not getting a full double of amp hours.
                  “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Working...
                  X