Wood burning stove

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wood burning stove

I saw one video that detailed making one from a metal bucket. Some others used small grills or smokers. I bet a handy fella could make one out of just about anything depending on resources and budget.

Comment

Originally posted by howl View Post
      I saw one video that detailed making one from a metal bucket. Some others used small grills or smokers. I bet a handy fella could make one out of just about anything depending on resources and budget.
      I knew a guy that had the same philosophy about bongs. :he:
      “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
      – E. B. White

Comment

Condensation is a problem in RVs. A big tub of DampRid can do wonders. For those with tent issues, might give it a try. No fuss, no muss.
        “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
          I knew a guy that had the same philosophy about bongs. :he:
          Years ago, I MacGyvered a baby food jar for that. Details withheld, of course

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
            Condensation is a problem in RVs. A big tub of DampRid can do wonders. For those with tent issues, might give it a try. No fuss, no muss.
            What is DampRid?
            “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
            – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
              Years ago, I MacGyvered a baby food jar for that. Details withheld, of course
              :gasp:
              – E. B. White

Comment

DampRid is basically a bag or bucket of moisture absorbing stuff...

I use it in the RV and it really helps. In the heat, bottles of liquid (soap, lotion, etc.), tend to sweat and get mildewy. With the DampRid, I just open the cupboard and set the bucket on the dinette table and it pulls the moisture from the air. Bottles don't hold the sweat anymore. It comes in different sizes and some are perfumed (I use the scentless in the big bucket). The bucket lasts me about 3-4 months in the RV. When the contents don't shake around anymore, toss the bucket.
                “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

The thing about a tent is it is open to the atmosphere. You're not gonna dry the whole world. Example: I have an unheated workshop with vents at the tops of the walls. In there I have a gun safe. I first tried to use the silica gel products made for dehumidifying the interior of the gun safe. Nope. The gel quickly became saturated. I forgot about it for maybe a month. Mildew and rust! The only thing that works is a heating element to keep the air in the safe warmer than ambient.

There is just an awful lot of water in the air here in the SE. I always used to joke when I lived in FL that instead of going for a run, I was going for a swim!

Looking into this I have come across a couple of non-stove options. First is a generator with an electric heater. I happen to own a generator, so I could do that, but otherwise it is a lot more costly and difficult to transport than a DIY stove and pipe. The second is a heater core and fan. The idea is you put a copper coil in your campfire with the water run through it and also a heater core like you find in a car. The fan blows to the heater core to heat the air in the tent. That is not really dry heat, but it is not wetter than ambient. Both of these examples seem like more hassle than wanted, but they do exist.

Comment

Yep! the best strategy, as far as I can see, is to keep the combustion; and the water produced by it, outside the tent; like Zodi tent heaters, which use recirculation through an air to air heat exchanger to warm the air, using propane/ etc, which is ducted out o the tent, heated, then ducted back into the tent (using a fan).

A heater coil has also been used to heat water camping although I haven't heard of a commercial heater, for tents or RVs (I expect the lawyers and liability issues probably have something to do with this).
                    Personally I would use a pump to increase circulation (based on my overclocking experiences using similar setups to cool abused PC CPUs)... and a DIY heater setup that I once heard about for an RV that used a propane fired point of use water heater to heat water that was then routed through a heater core along with a fan to move the air...

Enjoy!
                    Last edited by Happy Joe; 07-22-2017, 06:39 AM.
                    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
                    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Portable wood stoves are highly effective for creating a source of heat at the campsite. What’s more, it’s quite an economical solution. If you like to go hiking a lot, this device will definitely come in handy for you.

Comment

Working...
                      X