Wood burning stove

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wood burning stove

I am going to try to make one of these wood burning stoves. I have found a place that says they have the barrel that he uses for $15 and I can probably get the piping from work. I figure that the whole thing shouldn't be much more than $50!
    “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
    – E. B. White

Re: Wood burning stove

Sounds good! ...keep us posted (with pics)...

Enjoy!
    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
      Sounds good! ...keep us posted (with pics)...

Enjoy!
      Will do but I would love to know if anyone has tried cutting a stove jack into a silnylon tent...or anything for that matter.
      “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
      – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
        Will do but I would love to know if anyone has tried cutting a stove jack into a silnylon tent...or anything for that matter.
        A friend wanted one in his canvas tent, to vent a propane heater, so I cut a 3" hole in some 0.047 (thin) aluminum (a bit more than a foot square, probably 16" or 18") and he glued it to his tent. It worked well for as long as he used the tent (some years); I always figured that folding would be an issue but he managed to place the aluminum so that it was not near any creases.

Not sure if this would work for sil-nylon as silicon is notorious for being difficult to glue to...

The stove jack in the Alaknak (Cabelas) tent seems to be made from heat resistant cloth, different form the tent material, with a soft rubberlike ring attached (covered by a large flap of tent material when not in use).
        I do note that Cabelas sells a tent protector for use, on the outside, around the stove jack to help prevent sparks from burning holes in the tent...

I gave up on small wood stoves for heating as they want to be fed in the middle of the night...

Enjoy!
        Last edited by Happy Joe; 06-29-2017, 06:43 AM.
        2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
        For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
        Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

From looking at SilNylon tarps, a lot of DIY sites have made it pretty clear that it's a very difficult fabric to work with and best left to people with "the knowledge" - as well as the proper equipment to work it, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
            From looking at SilNylon tarps, a lot of DIY sites have made it pretty clear that it's a very difficult fabric to work with and best left to people with "the knowledge" - as well as the proper equipment to work it, of course.

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
            Not sure if this would work for sil-nylon as silicon is notorious for being difficult to glue to...

This is the part that I am worried about. I know they have glue on patches for silnylon tents and that gives me hope. But I am still thinking that I might go and get a yard or 2 from the fabric store to practice on before I go cutting into our tent.
            Last edited by James.; 07-01-2017, 08:31 AM.
            – E. B. White

Comment

Better video of the finished product.
              – E. B. White

Comment

I wanted to do this until I found out about Nu-Way propane stoves. Doing it with propane prevents spark holes in the nylon tent. I have a Cabela's Outback Lodge I want to sew a stove jack in. Well, I want to have someone else sew the jack in. Any progress with DIYing the jack?

Comment

Originally posted by howl View Post
                  I wanted to do this until I found out about Nu-Way propane stoves. Doing it with propane prevents spark holes in the nylon tent. I have a Cabela's Outback Lodge I want to sew a stove jack in. Well, I want to have someone else sew the jack in. Any progress with DIYing the jack?
                  I had never heard of the Nu Way stoves. Looks like the propane one requires venting too.
                  – E. B. White

Comment

Yep, there's no way I have seen to have dry heat without venting the H2O produced by burning fuel. If it weren't for condensation I'd just do one of those mini kerosene heaters or even a Mr. Buddy type propane.

Comment

Yep, there's no way I have seen to have dry heat without venting the H2O produced by burning fuel. If it weren't for condensation I'd just do one of those mini kerosene heaters or even a Mr. Buddy type propane.
                      I've always read about condensation with propane heaters but never had an issue with it. If you properly vent your tent there should be no build up of water vapor. Or maybe I've just been lucky somehow?

Comment

One of our favorite places to camp is on the shore of a lake high in the mountains. When the weather rolls in we are in the clouds. I have had all the vents open, a fan running, no one in it for hours and come back to find a formerly dry tent with condensation buildup. I want some dry heat!

I think there are lots of variables to account for, but when we're talking about heating a tent and keeping it dry, a vented stove of some sort and a stove jack to run the pipe out are in the equation.

Comment

...Yep! condensation (i.e being awakened by cold rain inside the tent at oh dark thirty) is the primary reason I gave up trying to heat tents all night... other reasons include dirt and soot with wood, fuel fumes with diesel/kerosene etc.

Tried many heaters the small ones produce less condensation; my favorite was a 4 or 5,000 BTU canned propane heater but it disintegrated one morning while trying to preheat the tent ...
                          Have a collection of Mr. Heater products they all work, but will probably never go on another trip...turning into a fair weather camper...

Tried many venting strategies; found that minimal safe venting with minimal to no unvented heat worked best, for me...with huge screened/vented tent section you might as well camp without a tent, under the stars.

I have found that tents made from breathable fabrics have less condensation and "water proof" fabric tents are the worst.

Currently I only heat the tent to enter and get out of the sleeping bag, while very early spring/late fall camping, and occasionally for social occasions; for that alcohol (gelled fake fireplace fuel or a small alcohol fireplace (barely adequate)) works to take the edge off the cold, temporarily.

Enjoy!
                          Last edited by Happy Joe; 07-14-2017, 07:29 AM.

Comment

Having transitioned to hammock camping, heating and condensation have ceased to apply :-)
                            2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

My brother suggested that I make one out of an ammo can. I found a video for that too. That will be the next thing.
                              – E. B. White

Comment

Working...
                              X