Sitting up in the tent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sitting up in the tent

I really like to read right before I go to sleep and sometimes read to fall back asleep in the middle of the night. My pillow does not get my head high enough. I've tried putting a big bag behind me but that just winds up slipping off the cot and pushing against the tent. I have a chair for rainy day, inside the tent reading. But would really like something for reading once comfortable in my sleeping bag on a cot. Does anyone use a product that they'd recommend?

Thanks,
    Randi

Re: Sitting up in the tent

I think you'd do well with something like this:

https://www.backcountry.com/crazy-cr...act-camp-chair

Comment

Another idea..slightly different than Mac's...The Mountainsmith Slingback Chair - about $25 on Amazon and other sites around the web. I don't own. Has won some gear awards in 2017. It appears to have some "recline" possibilities or at least an angled back which would help with the reading in the sleeping bag. Just make sure to keep your rear on the chair while reclining...otherwise I think you'd tumble back since the weight of your "rear" and the contact it provides establishes the third leg of support and the tension needed on the "sling". To use it...I can see a learning curve to keep it stable. It really doesn't meet my needs because I don't like to sit on the ground (albeit there is the fabric of the chair between you and the ground).

Potential negative? It uses trekking/hiking poles for the back support. If you don't own poles, you'd have to obtain them (they can be easily and inexpensively obtained...even at Wally world) to use this chair.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Slingback 1a.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	70821Click image for larger version

Name:	Slingback 2.jpg
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	70820
      Last edited by a65hoosier; 06-26-2017, 03:20 PM.
      2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
      Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
      Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
      Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Brainstormin.....perhaps an inflatable? This is for the seatback of SUV's if you are using the back to sleep, but this provides a nice "wedge shape". You get the idea--not sure how big your tent is. Fully adjustable (when ready for bed-open the valve and deflate). Packs to a fairly small size. Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Mattress-FOME...s=air+recliner
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Fome.jpg
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	70822
        2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
        Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
        Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
        Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Sounds like hammock camping is the perfect solution!

Speaking of which, I took one of the grandkids on an overnighter at a nearby state park (Roosevelt). I saw lots of hammocks there of the Wal-Mart variety. Unfortunately none were hung properly and none were used for sleeping. So they do seem to be catching on a little bit, but the casual hammockers haven't made the final leap.
          2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Thanks! Yeah, thought of those stadium seats after I posted. Cheap, simple technology. Good to hear other suggestions too, especially if there are others who read in their bags and cots.

Comment

Originally posted by RandiZ View Post
              Thanks! Yeah, thought of those stadium seats after I posted. Cheap, simple technology. Good to hear other suggestions too, especially if there are others who read in their bags and cots.
              Simple ideas are often the best. I also thought that maybe you could stick something through the cot to act as sort of a headboard to hold that bag that you said slips off in place.
              “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
              – E. B. White

Comment

Just don't sit up. Roll over on your side and read that way. . Actually, I only read sitting up when i'm in public - otherwise i'm always reclined and comfy.
                “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

I use a Coleman beach mat with an adjustable backrest. The soft cooler on the back can give me a place to put eyeglasses etc. It gives me a little more cushioning, too.
                  https://www.googleadservices.com/pag...Qwg8IRQ&adurl=
                  - Laura
                  Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

I have and used once a Cot made by Coleman that you can adjust to sit up. Similar to this Picture

Comment

Working...
                    X