Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Camping vehicle mods...

Originally posted by iCampSavvy View Post
    Wow! That is a really cool mod. Is there a link you can provide that shows the steps on how you did this? Thank you!
    Sorry for the late response (hope you are still with us!).
    I dont't know of a step by step instruction but here is an approximation;
    Get a seat riser kit (got mine from amazon or invest in some used hockey pucks and drill some holes in them)
    https://www.amazon.com/Jeep-Wrangler.../dp/B007TWOOGI
    Loosen the existing seat bolts (Its easier than repositioning a seat that tips over).
    remove the two font bolts and lift the front of the seat then insert a spacer/hocky puck on both sides.
    Insert a longer bolt into the seat leg and tighten finger tight (if you do not get the "kit you will have to make trips to the hardware store/home center to get bolts (there is one that is longer and larger than the other 3 (sorry I don't have the thread counts and bolt sizes).
    remove the 2 rear bolts on the front seat and insert spacers then bolts and tighten... NOTE the seat may move around some so you may have to push/pull tug to get the bolts into the theads in the floor.
    The longer larger bolt goes in the inner rear leg of a TJ seat.
    tighten all bolts securely...

Hope it helps!

Enjoy!
    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Re: Camping vehicle mods... Compresor in a Can

Continuing with adding stuff to the Jeep;
      since the cheapest and easiest means of increasing traction off road is to reduce the air pressure in the tires ; they will have to be refilled before returning home on road.

I normally use an ARB compressor for this but the TJ has OEM lockers so I need another compressor adequate for the job;
      After a brief search online I found the Masterflow MF-1050 disposable compressor (some like it some don't).
      https://www.amazon.com/Master-Flow-M...rfloaw+mf-1050

Compact yet sturdy storage is very important IMO.
      since I intended to "customize it to fit in a 7.62/.30 caliber ammo can size was somewhat more important than compressor reputation.
      Received the compressor, took it apart (was less than impressed with the design)
      stripped off the rectangular housing and handle (making it a wedge fit in the ammo can).
      Tapped and plugged the large side hole in the "Head" (to 1/4" npt).
      Tapped the pressure out port to 1/8" npt then added a nipple and tee (to retain the pressure gauge and allow connection of the hose to the pressure gauge port).
      Added an o ring to the intake filter which will be stored separately(loose in the ammo can ) and installed prior to each use.
      Substituted a short length of rubber hose and attachable valve connector for the unwieldy coiled hose and screw on connector.
      removed the stock wire
      moved the location where it enters the housing to better fit the can and installed a length of 12 gauge lamp cord (installed the fuse inside the housing)
      Installed some high quality battery clamps.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	compressor in a can 50 croppedDSCF0301.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	70999Click image for larger version

Name:	compressor out of the can 50 croppedDSCF0302.jpg
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	71000

Enjoy
      Last edited by Happy Joe; 02-24-2018, 09:54 AM. Reason: added pics
      2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
      For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
      Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

I use the same little MV-50 Compressor with my Jeep. It's a great little compressor.

Comment

Originally posted by bluestar99 View Post
          I use the same little MV-50 Compressor with my Jeep. It's a great little compressor.
          As far as I can find out, this is an "updated" (not sure if that's good or not) version of the MV-50.
          Some folks have had good luck with either/both, I can only hope.
          I seriously considered resurrecting the old Coleman Inflate all 150 compressor from the 1980s but figured that I would ease it into permanent retirement and see what the chinese can do.

Enjoy!

Comment

Ive modified about every vehicle Ive owned for camp and travel use. Currently have an 05 4runner. I made a dog platform/cargo box in the back. Its boxed in on all sides with plywood and bolted in place. I can remove the front or back as needed for security or to access the underside. In normal life use, I leave the back open and can put groceries, restaurant leftovers or the junk one leaves in their vehicle and the dog cant get to it, and the rear hatch would have to be opened to access it. Ive been thinking of how I could disconnect the rear hatch lock from the door lock controls so nobody could get into it in a window smash and grab. The platform is the preferred spot for dogs to ride on. Ive had similar platforms in several other suburbans and behind the front seat of extra cab pickups. I think the one I made for the 4runner is about 30" front to back, and as wide as the wheel wells allow.

If i want to sleep inside, I take the front panel off and I can stretch out with legs underneath, anything I took out from under the platform can be put to one side or in the front seat(s). I keep the middle seats folded nearly always. Ive had this rig 2 years and havent had a human in the back yet. Theres a large dog bed in the middle use to sleep part of me on, and I use a packing blanket under the platform for padding there, at least until i find a good dog bed that will work.

Ive seen a number of rigs that removed the middle seats for storage and utilities like water, and made a completely flat sleeping area in the back. Ive been strongly tempted to do that, as the folded down seats are about 1 1/2" higher than the rear area, but this vehicle is more for basic transport for now. When theres a life change, I'll get rid of this one (2WD) and get another one with 4wd and do more modifications for camping and off road use.

Ive seen tons of modified rigs with a platform with storage underneath and sleep on the raised platform. I dont like that idea, I dont want to cramp the human space inside when I have to get in it and get the bed squared away or whatever. The dog bed has space on the sides that gear gets left in, and theres quite a bit of space there. I can also put some on one side of the dog bed for night or travel, leaving the middle as open as possible for the dog to move around and less to move to sleep. I put a small cargo box on one side of the open middle area and small stuff along the front of the platform. When travelling, I keep my cordless drill in the cargo box in the middle area, and the tips required to remove the front panel (allen type) in my pocket so its not available to anyone stealing the vehicle or doing a smash and grab. It requires two different size allens to get in it. I took the top rack crosssbars off, i wanted as clean of a wind profile as I could, I also have a back and shoulder injury, so putting stuff up and down off a roof rack aint going to happen. i did try a roof basket rack, the wind noise was incredible, I took it off two days later. I may use one on a specific trip if absolutely necessary, but not as a regular thing. Id rather tow a trailer i think.

I found a GPS tracker/ignition disable that the used car outfits install when I was making my lighter hot full time. I took it out, but it occurred to me it may be a handy thing to have control of, I'll likely buy one I can control. I dont want one that gives full time info, just in case I request it, and no full time monthly subscription to be able to use in an emergency, like somebody stealing my vehicle.

One thing I plan on when getting back to Az more, I'm going to put rock lights underneath so i can see snakes as I come and go from the vehicle. ive had rattlesnakes come out from under my vehicle at least twice, and had them very close by several times (in the dark). This is the general idea, and I like being able to turn them on remotely as I approach the vehicle,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmaRnkNVCAg

I have a portable security camera with handheld monitor I could put underneath when in camp so I can look and see whats under before I get out.

Later, when I dont have to keep the vehicle low enough for my mom to be able to get in and out of, I'll get a 4wd 4runner, give it a little improved suspension and clearance, slightly taller tires, decent bumpers with more clearance perhaps, and maybe rock sliders. I dont want a radically altered looking vehicle, just a more capable one for back country use, and not compromise highway use. Id rather most people would walk by it and not attract much attention as being different if possible.

The beginning of the dog platform,

Name:	0609161429.jpg
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	71032

Boxed in

Name:	0708161242.jpg
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	71033

Loaded for cross country trip

Name:	0719161153.jpg
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	71034

Back open, packed for trip. Its left open for around town type use

Name:	0822160923.jpg
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	71035

Buttoned up for travel

Name:	0821161102.jpg
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	71036
            Last edited by Malamute; 05-12-2018, 02:28 PM.

Comment

Not really a mod (more just maintenance); got the Explorer back this morning after having the timing chains replaced in the v-6 SOHC engine... what a difference! No more rattle rattle.

Now I have to decide on whether or not to get the really major dents pulled and get it repainted; it suffered a bit in the last 2 big hail storms last summer (the second storm made national news, last August, when a bunch of tourists were injured and like 300 vehicles were totaled at the local zoo).... did some (like 150) hot melt glue paintless hail dent repairs, on the hood and made it look a lot better, so , at least, I'm no longer ashamed to park it at wally mart or be seen in it..

Enjoy!

Comment

Working...
              X