Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Camping vehicle mods...

Originally posted by Irate Mormon View Post
    Well after all, where's the fun in getting it right the first time? Gives you an excuse to be creative. 80/20, is that those square aluminum rails with slots on all 4 sides? Those things have real possibilities. Expensive though.
    Correct, it's an extruded aluminum bar that comes in a few different profiles. You can get it without slots and with tabs to allow fitting plywood or similar materials to make boxes for storage and whatnot. I have to be able to include a LPG heater, a 12v fridge/freezer, and a LPG stove where I want to mount them and then just let the rest sort of flow into the remaining space.

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
    Since, IMO, camping gear/vehicles are something that continually evolves, they rarely are done (for long)... building/modification can be called therapy... I call it a hobby/entertainment. The icing on the cake is using it.
    ...been doing it for nearly half a century; with no end in sight...

Enjoy!
    "If you had all the money that you've wasted on cars, what would you do with it?"

I'd spend it on cars.

Agree that they are always evolving. I knew most of what I wanted to do to this one before I even signed the title and had the keys. Stacked parts for a few years and then got to work. Allot of it is "done" but I'm still plotting on a few more minor and major upgrades as well as going back and changing a few more things such as the suspension by making it a real mid-travel arrangement with secondary shocks up front and a a completely different arrangement in the back.
    Best wishes,
    The Wanderin' Whitlows

Comment

Put ladder racks on the truck to bring a Jon boat. The truck already had a good towing package.
      Attached Files
      - Laura
      Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

Originally posted by WanderinWhitlows View Post
        "If you had all the money that you've wasted on cars, what would you do with it?"

I'd spend it on cars.
        Just got the newest project vehicle...
        2006 Jeep TJ, Wrangler Rubicon.

Click image for larger version

Name:	TJ .jpg
Views:	1
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	70839

...Nearly unmolested, less than 100k miles, runs well needs (like any Jeep) minor fixing of deferred maintenance; like a new fan belt & tensioner).
        ...Not sure what this one is going to turn into ...Yet!

...May have to build a trailer for it (47 cu. ft. of cargo room just isn't enough to include the luxuries...)

Enjoy!
        Last edited by Happy Joe; 07-28-2017, 06:40 AM.
        2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
        For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
        Ground tents work best for me, so far.
        Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Since my 200k mile jeep is no longer reliable
          added this to my buick
          2 camping trips with it and has been great

Name:	IMG_8394.jpg
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	70840

Comment

..LOL; puzzled me for a second... (until I tipped my head)...

Enjoy!
            Edit; the issue with the roomier Ford Explorer is that the approach and departure angles are insufficient; drags bottom even on forest road/trail water bars (berms across the road meant to help prevent washouts)... I would likely tear off a hitch carrier where I go; thus the reason for considering a trailer project...(thanks for the thought though).
            Last edited by Happy Joe; 07-28-2017, 08:12 AM.
            2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
            For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
            Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

I would likely tear off a hitch carrier where I go
              Flip it!

Comment

Originally posted by terasec View Post
                while a buick is not a car one thinks of when thinking camping vehicle
                since my jeep has 200k miles on it and has seen better days,
                decided to make my buick more useful
                currently adding a hitch, only has 1000 lb to limit, but thats enough to tow my 5x8 trailer with gear, may even add walls/roof to trailer to use as a mini camper, thats been on my mind for a while
                also thinking of side rails/cross bars on the buick for a roof basket,
                currently this is the buick without any mods,
                And a WILLYS is not a "car", but I can show you several Willys sedans - welcome to my world! ('11 Prius, 2K towing cap, REESE lighting kit, StealthHitch, Thule Transporter Combi. "Whatever gets YOU through the night"...
                “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                  Flip it!

Nah... thanks;
                  IF I decide to use the Rubicon for camping, I will make another trailer (been resisting it for years) .. something on the order of these, with aftermarket fiberglass sides/ends...

I especially like the little black one; because it ought to tow well on and off road... small and light is important with an underpowered Jeep.

... before I make the decision I will do a test load /pack after I remove the back seat from the Rubicon, everything fits moderately well in the Explorer sport (2door model) with the back seats folded so it might be close in the rubi' with the rear seat removed...

Enjoy!
                  Last edited by Happy Joe; 07-29-2017, 06:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by terasec View Post
                    Since my 200k mile jeep is no longer reliable
                    added this to my buick
                    2 camping trips with it and has been great
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]6085[/ATTACH]

Nice! Great minds think a like! My new "add" for car camping earlier this season...I've used for every car camp trip this year. Allows me to easily pack and bring a few camping lux items for the spouse.

Name:	Xterra Hitch Cargo Rack.jpg
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	70841
                    2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
                    Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
                    Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
                    Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Received a Velcro fire extinguisher mount from Amazon and added it to the Jeep.

Name:	fire exting and mount 50 cropped DSCF0289.jpg
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	70864
                      https://www.amazon.com/Airkoul-Sport...+jeep+wrangler

Enjoy!
                      Last edited by Happy Joe; 09-07-2017, 08:21 AM.

Comment

Received a Velcro fire extinguisher mount from Amazon and added it to the Jeep.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6153[/ATTACH]
                        Who doesn't love a little velcro? :great:
                        2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
                        Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
                        Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
                        Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by a65hoosier View Post
                          Who doesn't love a little velcro? :great:
                          Very handy stuff; I use a lot of it (usually double sided Velcro "One Wrap") to secure stuff;
                          added an emergency (LED retrofitted military D cell, one battery inverted for storage) flashlight to the passenger side of the TJ...(velcro-ed to the roll bar)

Name:	flashlight 50 croppedDSCF0290.jpg
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	70865

and moved the small FAK (First Aid Kit) from a camping tote to a relatively secure position under the (raised) driver's seat; attached with Velcro one wrap.

Enjoy!

Comment

...changed out the Jeep's 7,000 lb.stock front recovery points;

for larger, less likely to damage a snatch strap, 10,000 lb. rated hooks;

The bolt holes match up, but I had to make up a couple of 3/8" spacers to clear the front plastic bumper pads.

Amazon has fare price but Jegs is cheaper (don't know about shipping).
                            https://www.amazon.com/Curt-Manufact...22430+Tow+Hook

http://www.jegs.com/i/Curt/229/22430...SABEgIcl_D_BwE

Enjoy!
                            Last edited by Happy Joe; 09-11-2017, 07:26 AM.

Comment

Stowage is very limited in a Jeep TJ but the U.S.G.I. trifold E-tool and FAK (first aid kit) fit under the driver's seat;

Name:	e tool and FAK storageDSCF0292.jpg
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	70866

I try to find semi-permanent storage for important & emergency stuff in the vehicles...

Enjoy!

Comment

Wow! That is a really cool mod. Is there a link you can provide that shows the steps on how you did this? Thank you!

Comment

Working...
                                X